Test Ride

billy sugger

As posted elsewhere on here I am looking to upgrade to a BMW750, so am looking at booking a test ride. 

Having never done this before I'm looking for info on what it entails. 

I have looked on BMW motorrad and checked out the site and the test ride option but have not yet chosen to book, so I'm wondering about the insurance aspect, (I can ride any bike but it will be 3rd party only on my policy), does someone ride with you, etc, how long do you get the bike for, can you ride it on any route or a set ride? 

Last time I had a test ride on a BMW in 2019 I had to sign some forms and show electronic proof of licence and no endorsements via dvla there was a 700 excess on the insurance but they explained any minor issues would be resolved without insurance etc. They let me take it for an hour or so go where u want in ur own. Sales guy was good the bike wasn't for me no pressure 

• Thanks 1

I have test ridden quite a few BMWs over the last few years. Take photo ID and the code from DVLA to be able to show you licence details ( or national insurance number). At my dealer there is a £509 excess on their insurance and they are happy for me to take them for a few hours and pick up 'er indoors so she can see if she likes it. You just have to replace the fuel used.

I have literally, last week, just test rode a BMW GS at my local dealership.  I had to bring my driving licence and a utility bill as proof of address.  There was a £500 excess on the dealer insurance, they gave me a form to sign, a type of agreement.  They let me take the bike for the afternoon, I had it for about three hours.  Remember they want to sell you a bike, so may even waive the insurance excess, I know they did this for someone else I was chatting to over here.

Edited by manxie49

Thanks for all the replies. I loved the layout and position of the bars and pegs on the lowered version, but that was on a stationery bike, so I really need to actually get out on one to see if it's what I want. I assume in advance there will be less vibration through the handlebar due to engine layout than from my 600,which is a good thing