Generic CG125 parts

Ian Frog

Go to solution Solved by onesea,

Guys

I will throw this open as I have zero experience of generic parts for small bikes.

I notice a number of sellers on the bay offering what I presume to be Chinese carbs aimed at small Hondas.

I will have soon a 2006 CG125 and as it has undoubtedly stood for a long time it has carb related issues.

Is it worth my while getting said new carb or go down the rebuild kit and cleaning route?

There is very little financial difference either way.

Cheers

Ian

23 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Watched an Allen Millyard rebuild he went for rhe Chinese option and didn't need to make any adjustments, he seems to know his onions. I don't think either way would cause any issues 

That is good to know.

Cheers

Ian

• Solution
On 01/02/2023 at 15:37, Ian Frog said:

Ball well and truly back in my court.

I am collecting it over the weekend I think I will unbolt it and have a peek in the float bowl first thing.

Cheers

Ian

That would be my choice,

New spark plug (check for spark) if it runs fresh petrol, additive (outboard stuff) and ride it. 
If not undo drain screw on carb bowl get clean petrol then try again.

If that fails carb off remove bowl soak in petrol over night, spray with carb cleaner maybe prod/ wipe around a bit gently try again.

Once running get it hot and ride it hard, my belief is petrol dissolves petrol deposits in time. Try it it might surprise you.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, onesea said:

That would be my choice,

New spark plug (check for spark) if it runs fresh petrol, additive (outboard stuff) and ride it. 
If not undo drain screw on carb bowl get clean petrol then try again.

If that fails carb off remove bowl soak in petrol over night, spray with carb cleaner maybe prod/ wipe around a bit gently try again.

Once running get it hot and ride it hard, my belief is petrol dissolves petrol deposits in time. Try it it might surprise you.

I think that`s a good call I will get some aspen or similar (not bothered by cost as CG125 so frugal with fuel) to just run through it and hope to naturally clear some of the deposits.

When I went to see it the running was woolly but not hesitant so I suspect someone passed their test and let it languish in the shed while they enjoyed their new bike.

As a learner for my better half it will be ideal and if it needs a little ragging to purge I suppose I will look a tad amusing (haven`t ridden anything smaller than 1050cc for so long it`s unbelievable lol.

Cheers

Ian

3 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

I think that`s a good call I will get some aspen or similar (not bothered by cost as CG125 so frugal with fuel) to just run through it and hope to naturally clear some of the deposits.

When I went to see it the running was woolly but not hesitant so I suspect someone passed their test and let it languish in the shed while they enjoyed their new bike.

As a learner for my better half it will be ideal and if it needs a little ragging to purge I suppose I will look a tad amusing (haven`t ridden anything smaller than 1050cc for so long it`s unbelievable lol.

Cheers

Ian

The other one on a 125cc not to be under estimated my nephew (he’s 17 so every 0.1 of a mph matter) is the air filter. When he pointed. Out that they don’t have big filters or much power to pull in the clean air it made sense.

I now have 2 bikes one 1200cc one 125cc,  you might find it more fun than you imagine. 

I bought a cheap Chinese copy of a CG125 for my son when he went to collage, some things were not brilliant like the electrics, suspension and swingarm  and had to be sorted, but the engine was bullet proof, After collage he went to Uni in Leeds  his GF at the time went to Uni in Preston, he rode between Leeds and Preston then back every weekend for 2 years  through Sun Rain and snow,  engine never missed a beat.  New Spark plug and oil every year  adjust the valve clearances and it just kept on going. Still got the complete engine somewhere in my shed,  frame etc went to the tip as it was shot after being unused for a few years.