Rounded Brake disc bolt. fazer8

jedibiker

Go to solution Solved by jedibiker,

Hey all.

My wife bought a shiny set of new bolts for her brake discs as im sick of taking the rust off and no acf50 didnt do much

So as usual 4 came out fine and 1 is well stuck and rounding out.

The videos Ive seen talk about cutting a line for a screwdriver but ive not seen it actually work.

Any little tips Ive missed? its a 6mm head and I cant seem to force a 7mm in.

(tried to tap round with hammer and screwdriver, not budging but driver cutting in. )

cheers

Ok my suggestions wd40 or similar not acf. Hammer it, hammer on a imperial or metric spanner slightly smaller.

Apply gentle force to spanner whilst tapping bolt with hammer.  

Also try to inserting bolts either side and tightening, then trying above.

Find some other with impact wrench, is another alternative.

Edited by onesea

I have seen a video with the cutting part but he didnt finish the demo, but I may try the manual impact screwdriver.

@onesea its a button allen head on front disc, no way to get anything on it, in it maybe.

@Ian Frog Ive been trying to find an old starbit but ones Ive got are too small.

@goat that might be a bit tight to the disc if you mean shaping the dome into a square? but if im really careful it might just be an option..

cheers all, last thing I want to do is drill etc so will look at the options.

I have extractor bits but they need to go deeper and the risk of a snap on that is high

I was aiming to get the wheel off earlier, spent an hour getting a very stiff abs sensor out, to realise I didnt have a 14mm Allen head. My old bandit took a 12.. went a nice shade of red.

It will be much easier with the wheel on a bench im sure

• Like 1

Heat Heat Heat! 

Get it nice and hot the alloy will expand quicker and should crack it loose also hammer a torx in to it 

Put the wheel on blocks of wood while doing this to save the wheel being on the floor 

the heat will also break any locktite thats on there too 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Heat Heat Heat! 

Get it nice and hot the alloy will expand quicker and should crack it loose also hammer a torx in to it 

Put the wheel on blocks of wood while doing this to save the wheel being on the floor 

the heat will also break any locktite thats on there too 

Cheers, small blowtorch on the way, lets hope its gonna play nice

• Like 1

8 hours ago, manxie49 said:

I bought these from Screwfix a while ago for removing a couple of rounded off nuts on a set of engine protector bars, they worked a treat.

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 09.34.09.png

They are good, but mine is a button allen head, you cant get anything around.. ideal for other bolts :)

• Like 1

• Solution

So, I got one of those mini blow torch for kitchens, 1300 degress c max.. did try a hammer impact screw driver thing but the hole i cut was too big and not that straight, so knocked it round with big screwdriver and hammer.

at one point thought it might not budge but then did.,

all new stainless bolts in and a happy Mrs.

• Like 7