c.b.t.

maggie

how many time can you take a c.b.t. i know you have to take after 2 years so if you been driving a 125cc bike for 2 years never had a claim or accident. why should you have to take test again .don't seem to make sense to me . but there you go if that's the law so be it . so can you just keep taking the c.b.t. every 2 years as i only want to drive a 125cc bike  oh forgot to say that i do have a full car licence and have had for more year than i can remember. i do ride a 50cc moped now .

51 minutes ago, maggie said:

how many time can you take a c.b.t. i know you have to take after 2 years so if you been driving a 125cc bike for 2 years never had a claim or accident. why should you have to take test again .don't seem to make sense to me . but there you go if that's the law so be it . so can you just keep taking the c.b.t. every 2 years as i only want to drive a 125cc bike  oh forgot to say that i do have a full car licence and have had for more year than i can remember. i do ride a 50cc moped now . and i am in the UK.

34 minutes ago, Bender said:

You can do cbt indefinitely, but you could just do a test and ride it without l plates and never have to do cbt again 

It’s also cheaper than a second CBT if you can teach yourself how to pass the test.  
With a 125cc you can sit the test on your own bike without using an instructor.  Plenty of you tube out there to help you.

The CBT was introduced as a way of getting people enough skills to go out on L plates while they're preparing for the test, and not kill themselves.

Passing the CBT is like passing an entrance exam to get into a school or college; the idea is to enrol in the school and qualify, not to keep on taking the entrance exam. But as it's understood that some people need more time to pass their test than others, they let you keep doing the CBT as many times as you want.

Edited by bonio

1 minute ago, Tigs said:

TBH - you might as well go and sit the tests - they are about £15 each test - so you could sit the tests about 4x each and still pay less than a repeat CBT

Not quite…

Motorcycle and moped

Compulsory basic training (CBT) course prices are set by training schools. Contact your nearest course providerfor availability and prices.

Weekdays Evenings, weekends 
and bank holidays
Theory test £23 £23
Module 1 motorcycle test (off-road) £15.50 £15.50
Module 2 motorcycle test (on-road) £75 £88.50

https://www.gov.uk/driving-test-cost

OH, My bad - I thought they were both the same cost (I've only got as far as mod 1.. side eyes the U turn). It would still cost less to go and do the tests than doing a CBT again 

• Like 1

Ive never really understood the logic of repetitive CBTs. However Im old enough to remember the stupid system that was in place during the 1990s. where a CBT lasted 24 months and at the end of that time, if you had not passed the test, the CBT lapsed for a year and you were off the road!!

Others might disagree, but I think we should have followed the European model. where a CBT leads directly to lessons and the test. ie you took the CBT which allowed you to go on the road to have lessons and eventually gain a full license. this could be just for a 125cc bike. or the unlimited. L plates are not a thing Europe. The only time you will see the nearest equivalent is someone taking lessons. or the practical test.

Under the current system.. the only people who are gaining anything are the insurance underwriters. and the training schools who have a constant cash stream from CBT retakes. They must be making a mint these days from all the delivery scooter riders.

• Like 3

How does mod 1 work if you are using a 125? Would you be able to get to the required speed (50kph) for the swerve and emergency stop? Didn’t do mine that long ago but I’m a bit hazy on my memory , seem to recall really having to give it some beans for those. 

You must be able to, as you have to do the CBT for each licence - I suspect you have to full throttle in 2nd or 3rd! My 125 easily does 40 on the road (its not so keen on going fast uphill - but can if i bend lol) 

7 hours ago, Nute said:

How does mod 1 work if you are using a 125? Would you be able to get to the required speed (50kph) for the swerve and emergency stop? Didn’t do mine that long ago but I’m a bit hazy on my memory , seem to recall really having to give it some beans for those. 

I managed it ok on an old cg125 .. I weigh 95Kg and just had to give it some welly.

4 hours ago, onesea said:

Yes my nephew did it, a bit of f googling tells you the gear and speed in the corner.

And, obviously everyone under the minimum age (24 is it?) in Europe. Their test is practically identical to ours. Some countries do extras. In Germany night riding and on the Autobahn is  an obligatory part of training (if appropriate). For example.

Edited by Gerontious

L plates get old pretty quick. I personally couldn't have been riding around with them on for a day longer than necessary. They're just kind of crap aren't they. But yes, if you're not bothered by them, CBT every two years for ever more.