Tourer for a new rider

Overstrider

Hi, appreciate your advice please.

I'm moving from a 125 and taking my full licence, so as you do you start drooling over a proper machine ;)

I've been looking at the Yamaha Tracer 9 GT, Triumph Tiger 900 GT, and Suzuki Strom so would appreciate your opinions please?

I don't want anything snappy, but something with a bit of bite probably at the top end of revs.

Over 6' with ridiculously long 36" legs (made for the circus).

Wanting a Tourer because of the upright riding and will be using it for that purpose so safety and comfort are a must.

I've been to see a local company who are suggesting to keep away from the Tracer due to how snappy it is at low speeds/revs.  Instead suggested the KTM Adventure 890.

What's your opinion of the bikes mentioned and also do you think I'm going too big straight away, baring in mind I'm a cautious rider?

Thanks people.

Personal choice, but I'd veer towards the Vstrom. It mentions a tall seat height here.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/suzuki/dl1000-v-strom/

There's also the 650 version, comparison here.

https://ridermagazine.com/2018/12/13/2018-suzuki-v-strom-650xt-vs-v-strom-1000xt-comparison-review/

Maybe have a sit on them all (after the 125 they'll all feel great). Then get some insurance quotes and go from there.

On the going big straight away thing, I think it's a personal choice. My first bike was the XJR1300. No ABS, ridiculous torque and completely impractical for riding to work in the rain. Oodles of power was only a problem when it came to getting insurance quotes. (And even then, it was doable). You don't have to use it all...

The Tiger Explorer 1200 has been great for touring, but it's high mileage and has has some minor (and less minor) issues that you wouldn't get on a newer bike. There are plenty of older ones for sale, same with the BMW 1200 GS. Might be a way to get into larger bikes without the larger price tag.

Edited by Fiddlesticks

All depends on distance you plan to be riding on one trip and if alone of with pillion.

I personally would prefer the triumph instead of yamaha as they are more reliable.

900cc is a good size engine for anything around the 400 miles a day and without loads of luggage.

If you're plans are to go for long trips 4k plus then I would consider a bigger engine and more storage.

Only you can decide what's right for you so you need to go and test ride the ones you fancy.

Over the last 2 years I've gone from BMW1100rs to Triumph Tiger 800xc to Suzuki 650 V-Strom. .. Generally I liked them all but I'm most comfortable with the V-Strom.

Sorry this is all a bit of a brain dump but I’m trying to reply in the gaps in house renovation work.

”snappy at the top end”? I doubt you’ll bother the top end of the rev range much. I’ve rarely hit the rev limiter on any of my bikes, even during track days. It gives minimal benefit and pretty pointless getting up there on the road.

You can tour on any sized bike. It’s probably worth going to 900cc if you’re touring two up fully laden. I have done short tours two up on my Suzuki GSF 600F (Bandit) and several 400mile plus days on my CX500 (I was much younger then, mind). Most 600cc bikes can cruise comfortably at or above the motorway speed limit with little problem.

You may find this tool a good reference for gauging the relative riding positions.

Motorcycle ergo tool

Different view from me. I am of similar proportions. Im 6'7 in my boots.

The main thing is you need to at the very least seek out examples of these bikes and sit on them. and then get on google and look for any adjustments that can be made to further increase your comfort. My guess is that you will very likely need to lower the footpads and probably raise the handlebars somewhat. even a 25mm rise can make a huge difference. You might want to raise the seat too. So, my point is don't be immediately put off by a bike just because it isn't absolutely perfect. These small adjustments can easily be made to many bikes. Ive not felt the need to lower the pegs on my bike, but I did change the seat and raise the handlebars a little.

Ive never liked triumphs despite owning them in the distant past.. bought mostly due to novelty (Union Jack) and inexperience of other brands. they are top heavy. and that's incredibly off-putting for me. In fact that's my main gripe with them. too top heavy.

though if you ever make it down to Italy you will be surrounded by eager Italians who are absolutely mad on the brand..  its actually jaw dropping the reaction.

Ive never owned a KTM. so I can't comment on them, except for the fact they have never featured on my Radar. I see them a lot. but for me? no.

My own bike is an Africa twin Adventure Sports. A 2018. One of the tallest bikes Ive ever owned. So tall in fact that I once fell off it trying to get on.. oh how my friends laughed!! But, it suits me perfectly. Mine has the automated clutch.. so is an absolute dream to ride. But that makes it a bit marmite. with the strongest opinions coming from people who have never tried one. Or if they have, didn't actually experiment with its settings. just rode it in its default mode which is all about fuel economy and so a tad dull. but, it has modes. and these transform the bike. flick a switch and its a completely different animal.

I sat on the touring version of my bike and quite liked it, though it would need some adjustments to suit me as I detailed above.

But, what I think of as a "tourer" isn't the same as you. The style of bikes you mention are known as "Adventure bikes" - tourers with a trail bike aesthetic. some... a few made to go off road as much as on tarmac. most tarmac only. You can generally tell the difference by looking at the wheels. if it has metal spokes. its dual purpose. if it doesn't its road only. despite the marketing spiel.

The main thing is these bikes are completely at home in all road conditions. whether that's the shoddy roads we have to deal with here in the UK. or the smooth as silk roads of the Germanic countries.

For touring obviously you need luggage carrying capacity. once agin google will be your friend. do check to see what's available (if not already included) you might be fine with a minimalist set up. or want to go 'full barge'. Ive gone full semi barge on mine.

Its also handy to have a fuel tank that is large enough to go the distance. 200 miles minimum is ideal. more is a bonus. Any newish bike will have ABS and Traction control, which is the minimum for safety. In my opinion.

get it... get it set up. and then book the tunnel and go!!

IMG_0114.thumb.jpg.789f1f09ae082376c509ed65183bd141.jpg

This is my bike on the Pustertal high road, southern Austrian Tyrol with Italy in the distance.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

Oh.. and I forgot to mention.

plenty of people on this forum and elsewhere have gone from zero experience. to full test to large bike.. frequently well over 650cc in the course of a month or two. with their riding experience concentrated in the short period between CBT - lessons and then test. You have an automatic advantage over them having owned a 125cc bike. many never have.

On 05/05/2023 at 18:53, Gerontious said:

Oh.. and I forgot to mention.

plenty of people on this forum and elsewhere have gone from zero experience. to full test to large bike.. frequently well over 650cc in the course of a month or two. with their riding experience concentrated in the short period between CBT - lessons and then test. You have an automatic advantage over them having owned a 125cc bike. many never have.

I've never ridden a 125 on the road, my only experience was the carpark element of the CBT, the road section I did on an MT07.

I couldn't fit my beet on a Tracer 9 GT, I kept catching the pillion pegs. They may have revised it now.

Having a new license you may not be given the option of test riding so I wouldnt spend too much just in case you don't like it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...