What do they mean by modified

2wheeltrundel

This relates to insurance and what is a modification.I want to put some different foot pegs on my Suzuki 125 they are of a different Suzuki 125 and sweep forward more than the originals, also I'd want to change the gear linkage to a direct one that would move it farther worward too I'm quite tall so want a but more leg room, is this a modification . I know the best way would be to ring them up but thought I'd ask here first .

5 minutes ago, 2wheeltrundel said:

This relates to insurance and what is a modification.I want to put some different foot pegs on my Suzuki 125 they are of a different Suzuki 125 and sweep forward more than the originals, also I'd want to change the gear linkage to a direct one that would move it farther worward too I'm quite tall so want a but more leg room, is this a modification . I know the best way would be to ring them up but thought I'd ask here first .

If it's not an OEM direct replacement that deviates from the design of the bike and an insurance assessor can spot it in the process of an inspection after or during a claim they will use it to reduce limit or cancel said insurance/payout, something minor like foot pegs would they notice, but also if it's so minor it's not worth hiding it.

Only thing they asked of mine, was there any mods or accessories that increased the value by more than 250 quid 

7 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The only way to know is to ring them. There are quite a few things you can do that they won't worry about, and some seemingly simple things that they do. So check first.

The policy has only a couple of months left so might wait till renewal time at the moment it is down as no modifications and probably get charged to change that now.

Cheers for the reply.

7 hours ago, Bender said:

If it's not an OEM direct replacement that deviates from the design of the bike and an insurance assessor can spot it in the process of an inspection after or during a claim they will use it to reduce limit or cancel said insurance/payout, something minor like foot pegs would they notice, but also if it's so minor it's not worth hiding it.

Only thing they asked of mine, was there any mods or accessories that increased the value by more than 250 quid 

I guess they are probably very eagle eyed at spotting anything that's not stock .

A lot of insurance companies now allow some modifications without having to declare them 

These companies usually supply a list in their policy documents 

A lot of companies will allow changes without charges. My own cover allows pretty much everything except turbos and supercharger kits without increasing the premium. Each insurance company will have different things they will allow so you should really give them a call and see if it makes a difference. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stu said:

A lot of insurance companies now allow some modifications without having to declare them 

These companies usually supply a list in their policy documents 

Yes I've looked in the booklet sent with the documents it has no specifics about modifications .

You can always phone them ask, if I were to change the footpegs, what would it cost. Then at least you'd have the full information.