I'm coming back after a 40 year lay off. But my leathers seem to have shrunk. 😢

Pink Paisley

I hung onto my leathers because somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew I'd be back.

Ex CG125, ex KZ400 and ex CB550/4 rider.  But 40 years on, and retiring next summer, I'm coming back.  I'll have the time.

I'm not buying until the 'closed season', I have no desire to be riding in the rain and snow (although I did pass my test in the snow at the Hendon test centre, and passed my car licence in the snow up in Yorkshire - there seems to be some sort of theme here).

So.  I'm buying in late winter / early spring.  This also gives me time to make sure that I have a good space in my garage.

The bike I wanted, but failed to buy was the 1977 Bonneville Jubilee.  I was put off by the angular tank.  I've been doing my homework and have come up with a choice that I can find few criticisms of out there.  I'm having an Enfield Interceptor.

Now to deal with the mystery of the shrinking leathers............ 

• Like 1

I blame the manufacturers!! Cheap Chinese leather or some such. It must be as I can't think of any other reason why this happens to us all! :lol:

Oh and welcome to the forum :cheers:

• Like 1

Welcome back! I don't think the leather has shrunk - multiple tests have shown that it has almost always been the rider 'putting on extra mass' by 'eating too many pies' (Dr Smith, 2023).

Also, may I recommend the yamaha r1? 

Kate, from Hideout leathers said that leathers tend to shrink for any over winter. After 40 winters it’s bound to happen,

I rather like the look of the Royal Enfield. I had a gander at a Himalayan which was parked upon Craster last week. They seem to be getting popular. Much better looking in the flesh than photos. 

i nearly bought the RE myself, decent bike with much to like but just afew negatives that might turn people off. One thing to make sure ur happy with the service schedule as its much more often and puzzling than other bikes on sale.

The Him was just abit too sedate for my needs.

on the subject of leathers, they do shrink as they DRY OUT! Think of them as house plants.

if they sre just a abit small use small clean lightly with hand soap and water, then use nik wax leather restorer a white and blue bottle, it's amazing stuff works wonders, useit on boots, gloves, even use it on the house chairs. Do it once, leave them somewhere away from heat for a week and top up again with the nikwax, It brings them back.... luckly not from the dead (moo) =:0

if there in good nick but too small even after the leather restoration you could sell them, stuff like that is trendy with the young rebels!

Edited by RideWithStyles
Just had to add.

• 6 months later...

Welcome to the forum.  I am in a similar position to you, and after a 40+ year break I am enjoying doing a lot of research and learning from places like this excellent forum.  A big thank you to those who find time to offer their experience and wisdom to us newbies.