Harz or Eifel

Yorky

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

I may take a very short notice trip sometime in September. Can't really be arsed doing mega mileage so which out of the two should I choose.

Probably sail Hull / Rotterdam so approx equal distance to either.

I passed through the Harz region in 2014. It seemed pleasant enough with a few twisty mountain roads to explore. If you do choose the Harz region, it might be worth looking at the hotel we stayed at, being aimed at bikers.

Tonenburg

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply @Steve_M

Since posting the original question I have looked at P&O prices from Hull 🥴

Over £500 for me and the bike is a joke so it would be the chunnel, which I guess puts the Eifel within easier reach.

I know quite a few on here have ridden this area, ideally I would base myself somewhere for maybe 3 nights and do circular trips during the day, so any GPX files/ map routes suitable would be very much appreciated 👍

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

Over £500 for me and the bike is a joke so it would be the chunnel, which I guess puts the Eifel within easier reach.

I know quite a few on here have ridden this area, ideally I would base myself somewhere for maybe 3 nights and do circular trips during the day, so any GPX files/ map routes suitable would be very much appreciated 👍

We’re using Harwich to Hook out, and Rotterdam to Hull in a couple of weeks. Booking well in advance, admittedly, our fare, rider, bike and pillion is around £540. 

I don’t know where you’re based but for us in Cumbria using the ferry saves one night of hotel each way, and avoids M-bloody-25 / M20 which you can probably tell that I’m not keen on riding.

All the best with your trip.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

We’re using Harwich to Hook out, and Rotterdam to Hull in a couple of weeks. Booking well in advance, admittedly, our fare, rider, bike and pillion is around £540. 

I don’t know where you’re based but for us in Cumbria using the ferry saves one night of hotel each way, and avoids M-bloody-25 / M20 which you can probably tell that I’m not keen on riding.

All the best with your trip.

Thanks @Steve_M. I'm based in Yorkshire and like you I hate the chore of riding down to Folkstone, but P&O prices are a joke.

When using the chunnel I generally leave home around 06.00 and aim for a crossing around 14.00, once in France I ride for around 2 hours to get away from Calais and then find a cheap B&B for the night.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Thanks @Steve_M. I'm based in Yorkshire and like you I hate the chore of riding down to Folkstone, but P&O prices are a joke.

When using the chunnel I generally leave home around 06.00 and aim for a crossing around 14.00, once in France I ride for around 2 hours to get away from Calais and then find a cheap B&B for the night.

Similar to my approach when I toured solo and lived in Norwich. The biggest advantage was that I could get quite a way through France by evening ‘cos I was closer to (spit) the awful M25 and could avoid the worst of the traffic. 

There are 5 of us going to the Eifel - crossing via the tunnel Sunday morning, 3rd September and returning the following Saturday afternoon. so 5 weekdays spent there. normal working week, kids back at school. Lovely.

We are staying at our normal hotel. (there would be uproar if I suggested anywhere else) which is this place.  https://www.schlosshotel-neuerburg.de/en/

It is relatively close to the Luxembourg border and about 250 miles from calais.

You are more than welcome to join us if you want. have someone to talk to of an evening if you don't want to ride with us at the very least.

We do the journey to and fro at the weekend to avoid any workday rush hour or commuter traffic.

Ride dow to Ashford on the Saturday afternoon. overnight at a Premier Inn or Travelodge. then ride out at 8am Sunday morning, just 12 miles to the Tunnel.

I generally create my own routes using a mixture of Google Maps and Basecamp. And often use this (PDF below) as a start point for said creations. Im not overly keen on copying other peoples routes as they can often be quite boring.. I like to mix up the road types. B. L and K.

This year will be the normal plan.. we will spend 4 days exploring the Eifel and Hunsruck. and have a full day almost exclusively inside Luxembourg, as its a firm favourite and something of a tradition.

Ive done all the routes for this trip.. and each day the route will be chosen on a whim. we tend to avoid tourist traps and places rammed with tourists. stopping for lunch at some random place in some random village. when it feels 'right'.

Screenshot2023-08-16at17_51_01.thumb.png.6f0359f2b2822e0d6836783effdf0a9e.png

eifel.pdf

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Yorky said:

Hill is expensive. I’m crossing harwich to hook overnight on the 30th for £170. I’m having a couple of days mooching around before joining @Gerontious and co on the Sunday. 

Thankyou very much for the reply @Gerontious, and for the offer of joining you all.

Unfortunately I am on a family holiday from 2nd to 9th Sept. Wife, kids (well they were 40+ years ago) other halves, dogs, the whole caboodle, so it will be later on when I go, dates to be decided on a whim type thing.

Thanks also for the pdf, handy to have some good biking roads to work on and add into anything else that I decide upon.

5 hours ago, Yorky said:

I am trying to muster up a plan too. I have the same issue, its 110 miles to Hull, 275 to Folkestone. I'm looking at 18th Sept. I was thinking of going to the Vosges however the Eifel is looking more achievable, Just looked at a place I stayed a few years ago, Hotel Muller Pension in Kyllburg, but website saying its closed. I might send an email to see. I have looked at places in Scotland as a back up, but the prices are double of those in France and Germany. @GerontiousI take it this hotel you frequent is a good place to stay.   

20 hours ago, Pie man said:

I take it this hotel you frequent is a good place to stay.   

The Schloss? Here are my thoughts.

In the words of one of the local kids, it's "old-school". It's not luxurious. It's a bit dated. But it's clean and very, very friendly, a family-run place. They've a bike garage if you want, but there's no need to use it - it's a very safe area. The rooms are spacious, and have en-suite showers. At 55 euros a night half board it's not pricey, and although the cuisine isn't going to feature in Delia's Central European Tour, you will definitely not go hungry. And all the roads in all directions are 100% fun.

It's a great base for a holiday.

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier. If I were to suggest staying somewhere else in the Eifel there would be uproar. I’ve stayed at the Schloss 14 times. And never had a bad experience. It’s totally bike friendly. I’ve never used the garage. The bikes are parked across the road in full view of the rooms/balconies. On a quiet side road at the rear of the hotel proper. We stay in the guest house which is a separate building. There have been some changes over the years most notably the restaurant is now closed Sunday and Monday evenings - but there is a great kebab/pizza place a 10 minute walk away in the village. There are also 3 supermarkets at the far end of the village.

I would describe the food as “home style” - ask for Schnitzel if you get the chance!! English is quite limited there with only the wife speaking it well. The husband isn’t too bad at English. But, it’s a very German hotel and they don’t get many English guests. Aside from us.

take your own toiletries as these are not supplied.

planning rides is much easier now that street view is starting to appear. Over the years we’ve seen a lot of the region and know it well.. but in reality we have still only scratched the surface.

it’d the perfect place to go for a week. Easy to get to. And I reckon has the best riding south of Yorkshire and north of the Massif. It’s a hidden gem that people tend to pass by heading for the Rhine or the Nurburgring.. which is in the eastern Eifel. Very little police presence outside the holiday season. A vast network of roads of all kinds. Lots of history. Scene of the Battle of the Bulge so lots of American flags, especially over the borders in Belgium. Low mountains. Winding river valleys. Signs of volcanism everywhere… especially in the appropriately named Vulkaneifel.  Touristy without the crowds especially away from the banks of the Mosel and Rhine.

you can do a lot of touristy stuff if you want.. or treat it as we do and go purely for the riding.

An alternative hotel I’ve heard great things about is Hotel Daytona in Dasburg. Right on the border with Luxembourg just off the B410.  Dutch owned and very good. Apparently.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

On 17/08/2023 at 18:45, Gerontious said:

An alternative hotel I’ve heard great things about is Hotel Daytona in Dasburg. Right on the border with Luxembourg just off the B410.  Dutch owned and very good. Apparently.

We will never find out!