Thinking about next year’s tour.

Steve_M

Not done anything aside from building a selection of 'set piece' routes, for Germany and France. so I have options if the weather is iffy.

First thing will be to sort out my passport as its now basically defunct, it expires in April. So, I'll wait till then to sort a replacement. Still undecided whether to just get a new (not) blue UK one. or a surrender, project fear, Farage would not approve, EU one. I guess at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

Tunnel can be booked either April or early May. no worries on that score.  And then it will be booked again for September, probably mid July.

For the first trip, its just 150 days to go. so I tend to hold off the excitement until it clicks over 100. For September, that's 230 days in the dim and distant future.

Meanwhile I have other priorities.

Personally I would go for the EU option (or even both if that’s possible). Could save you time avoiding the non EU passport holders queue at boarder controls.

16 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Not done anything aside from building a selection of 'set piece' routes, for Germany and France. so I have options if the weather is iffy.

First thing will be to sort out my passport as its now basically defunct, it expires in April. So, I'll wait till then to sort a replacement. Still undecided whether to just get a new (not) blue UK one. or a surrender, project fear, Farage would not approve, EU one. I guess at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

Tunnel can be booked either April or early May. no worries on that score.  And then it will be booked again for September, probably mid July.

For the first trip, its just 150 days to go. so I tend to hold off the excitement until it clicks over 100. For September, that's 230 days in the dim and distant future.

Meanwhile I have other priorities.

I wish the EU passport had been an option for me.  However, the queues for our last trip were only an inconvenience, not really too much of a delay / hassle.

I prefer to book early - the cabin options on the route seem to be more limited as time goes by. As it is we’ve had to go for a 4 berth cabin for the two of us on the way out. It would not go down well if only reclining seats were available.  It also gives me incentive to start saving and loading up my FX card - I’m an expert at prevarication (and impulse buying) so a deadline tends to focus my mind. 

Route planning… we have an outline plan - An amble around Galicia, Asturias and Cantabria then across the Pyrenees, then wend our way back to Rotterdam. We’ll work out the detail as we go along.

Now I can concentrate on priorities with fewer distractions. Lime plastering anyone?

IMG_0447.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to sort out a trip this year, usually, I like to take either the first week in June or the first week in September; however, this year, its not possible for me to use those weeks.  

My options now are either May Spring Bank Holiday (Last week in May) or 3rd Week in September. I am trying to plan a route down to Interlaken, were I would stay for 4 days (camping). But I keep thinking how good the Glossglockner could be in May. Trying to plan a good route is getting harder as I cant make my mind up 😂

I only have a week and I don't mind putting in the mileage on the first day to be in an easy reach of my destination. Its choosing where to go that is the hardest. 

2 hours ago, Pie man said:

I'm trying to sort out a trip this year, usually, I like to take either the first week in June or the first week in September; however, this year, its not possible for me to use those weeks.  

My options now are either May Spring Bank Holiday (Last week in May) or 3rd Week in September. I am trying to plan a route down to Interlaken, were I would stay for 4 days (camping). But I keep thinking how good the Glossglockner could be in May. Trying to plan a good route is getting harder as I cant make my mind up 😂

I only have a week and I don't mind putting in the mileage on the first day to be in an easy reach of my destination. Its choosing where to go that is the hardest. 

It will at the very least be picturesque - but also very cold. The road is normally open by the 1st of May - dug out by snow ploughs. Its a hike to get there though and not something to be done in a day. fastest route is a little over 700 miles from the tunnel.  One of the great things about the road is you can look at the live webcams and make a decision on whether to go up. you can also look back in time and get an idea of what it might be like at various times of the year. Here for example is an image that was taken by the webcam on Friday 5th May 2023 at 16:30. air temperature was 6.9c and, incidentally that was one of only a couple of days where a view like this was even possible due to low cloud. (aka heavy fog)

Screenshot2024-03-13at22_14_01.thumb.png.9a0d9b3030b7374686b70dbd1b6b87db.png

To be honest I don't really think its a good idea to go there with just a week to play with, the main problem being you could arrive there and not want to go up because of low cloud, or heavy rain or even late snow or sleet. Its always a good idea to have a few days nearby and then choose the best. either a blue sky day or very high cloud. And dont even think about doing it at the weekend as its always absolutely rammed with tourists.

I would head for another Alpine region, if the Mountains are what you want. or a region Ive never visited before. chase the sun and the warmth moving north from the Med.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh Bollox 🤬 never realised it was half term at the end of May. Anyhow, Eurotunnel now booked, accommodation now booked, except for the last nights accommodation, still pondering where to stay on the return leg, maybe looking at Chalons-en-Champagne or Troyes :thumb:

• Like 2