Thinking about next year’s tour.

Steve_M

Where to go?

We’re probably returning to the French Alps in 2024, taking in some roads we’ve done before (eg. the Coll de la Croix de Fer has already been earmarked) and some new to us. Last year we took in both sides of the Verdon Gorge, which was a revelation, and wondered about including other balcony roads into next year’s trip. Much of the North side of the Verdon Gorge is one-way so any concerns about meeting oncoming traffic on a narrow road with a big drop were allayed. 

Now wondering if anyone’s ridden other balcony roads and what their experiences were.

eg.Balcony roads

Edited by Steve_M

I would strongly advise Croatia.

Make sure you do this road from Austria to Slovenia

image.thumb.png.7ec08319208d378eb33f673ad9439b22.png

Go acroos country to Hull for the overnight ferry to Rotterdam and then south.

You want to allow 2 weeks min for this one.

A must road is this one along the coast

image.thumb.png.284827708d10afd47747dd4b61f00e46.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, husoi said:

I would strongly advise Croatia.

Make sure you do this road from Austria to Slovenia

image.thumb.png.7ec08319208d378eb33f673ad9439b22.png

Go acroos country to Hull for the overnight ferry to Rotterdam and then south.

You want to allow 2 weeks min for this one.

A must road is this one along the coast

image.thumb.png.284827708d10afd47747dd4b61f00e46.png

We’ve been debating Croatia as a destination. She’s not keen, I’m ambivalent. Our tours are generally two weeks, as you say, Hull to Rotterdam (or, if we pop in and see the grandson on route, Harwich to Hook of Holland) is our usual approach. Perhaps more reading is needed. 

19 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

No Way GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Which is what I thought of the Verdon Gorge before I did it (do it if you’re down that way. The views are to die for… an unfortunate choice of words, I know 😂). Hence the question. 🙏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you don't like superb tarmac on twisted roads, warm weather, excellent food and friendly people then stay away from Croatia. :thumb:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, husoi said:

If you don't like superb tarmac on twisted roads, warm weather, excellent food and friendly people then stay away from Croatia. :thumb:

We chatted to a couple in a service station in Holland who were returning from Croatia and were full of praise for it. They did seem to have had an itinerary that included cities, which isn’t what we look for, hence my good lady’s response.

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1

I’ve got two distinct plans in the works. Germany and the South of France. With the final decision  not being made until the last minute based solely on the weather. If it turns out to be France then I’m going to be starting in the Auvergne.

as for Balcony roads I’ve used 4 or 5 of them and they were all worthwhile as an experience. That’s what they are about really - the experience as they are effectively unique to France. I looked at the dangerous roads list and was amused to see that they listed the same road twice under different names and another that’s been closed for years - the reason it’s closed is hysterical when you think about it. I was there last year.

IMG_0858.thumb.jpeg.a5d7411813747139e5d196520f68f554.jpegIMG_0856.thumb.jpeg.8b1f532fefb8732e2f4f3ca2493570c3.jpeg

The daddy of them is Machine. Which runs above Combe Laval. They are both the same road. Combe Laval is the valley below but for some reason Machine gets named that too. It’s a blink and you miss it so worth stopping and walking. To take in the views. Photos do it no justice whatsoever.

IMG_0862.thumb.jpeg.4d0ad824b51dae25c36d1385b68f84a4.jpeg

IMG_0864.thumb.jpeg.bb646046122371cf10c1a084b1e516ec.jpeg

I would suggest you pin these roads down on a map and link them up with other interesting roads. Some are quite short. Balcony road is mostly about how they were built. They can be high up or low down. But worth seeing as they’re so different.

if you do return to the Verdon. Do ride the route de cretes that is there it’s stunning. If a little nerve racking at times. Vertiginous in the extreme.  And definitely a place I want to return to. Though next time better prepared. Last time the heat was brutal and I wasn’t really dressed for it. This winter I’m mostly looking for sale vented gear with the past few tours in mind this has become an imperative. I was lucky to escape heat stroke in the Eifel though my brain was definitely addled.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I’ve got two distinct plans in the works. Germany and the South of France. With the final decision  not being made until the last minute based solely on the weather. If it turns out to be France then I’m going to be starting in the Auvergne.

as for Balcony roads I’ve used 4 or 5 of them and they were all worthwhile as an experience. That’s what they are about really - the experience as they are effectively unique to France. I looked at the dangerous roads list and was amused to see that they listed the same road twice under different names and another that’s been closed for years - the reason it’s closed is hysterical when you think about it. I was there last year.

IMG_0858.thumb.jpeg.a5d7411813747139e5d196520f68f554.jpegIMG_0856.thumb.jpeg.8b1f532fefb8732e2f4f3ca2493570c3.jpeg

The daddy of them is Machine. Which runs above Combe Laval. They are both the same road. Combe Laval is the valley below but for some reason Machine gets named that too. It’s a blink and you miss it so worth stopping and walking. To take in the views. Photos do it no justice whatsoever.

IMG_0862.thumb.jpeg.4d0ad824b51dae25c36d1385b68f84a4.jpeg

IMG_0864.thumb.jpeg.bb646046122371cf10c1a084b1e516ec.jpeg

I would suggest you pin these roads down on a map and link them up with other interesting roads. Some are quite short. Balcony road is mostly about how they were built. They can be high up or low down. But worth seeing as they’re so different.

if you do return to the Verdon. Do ride the route de cretes that is there it’s stunning. If a little nerve racking at times. Vertiginous in the extreme.  And definitely a place I want to return to. Though next time better prepared. Last time the heat was brutal and I wasn’t really dressed for it. This winter I’m mostly looking for sale vented gear with the past few tours in mind this has become an imperative. I was lucky to escape heat stroke in the Eifel though my brain was definitely addled.

Thanks. Interesting about Machine being only short. Probably not worth heading over that way - we covered a lot of ground last year, including day or so around Vercors region but I failed miserably to remember Combe Laval while we were there.

We rode the Route Des Cretes - I mis-referred to it as Gorge du Verdon. I thought that was great fun and not as scary as I anticipated. My good lady pillion, who is scared of heights, thoroughly enjoyed it. Though she wasn’t so keen on the viewing platform … 😂

We also rode the road on the southern side of the gorge which gives great views of the gorge and sections of the Route Des Cretes. 

IMG_0191.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

IMG_2897.jpeg

Combe Laval and Col de la Machine are essentially the same road. And well worth visiting, just include it as part of a longer route. It’s quite incredible especially when you consider how it was built. Men hanging from higher up the cliff and basically chipping away a groove and for what? All that effort to get at some trees.  A road that goes effectively from nowhere to nowhere, though as it’s linked at both ends that’s selling it short. The best part is probably not much more than a 1/4 mile long.

Grand Goulets sounds incredible but is so dangerous they eventually closed it completely. Dangerous mostly because if something goes wrong the chances of survival are small and the chances of a mishap are high. It’s constantly damp gets no sun at all and so is covered in algae and slime moulds, so very slippy. Narrow. Precipitous and impossible to be airlifted from. Great eh?

Balcony roads are as likely to be at the bottom of a cliff as near the top, built in the same way. Some of the longest run along the bottom of a cleft, these are just as incredible an experience.

if I do end up in the south of France next June then I’ll definitely be adding more to the itinerary.

Edited by Gerontious

We didn't get to ride Combe Laval when we went to France a few years back - it was closed for repairs - but we did get to do one or two balcony roads.

Some pics here of @Gerontious on them.

4-Y82wptf.thumb.png.3b085b25bc280543486151cf69f61d76.png

3-f99hOHk.thumb.png.e07a31dccb20f151c223370f180aa944.png

1 minute ago, bonio said:

We didn't get to ride Combe Laval when we went to France a few years back - it was closed for repairs - but we did get to do one or two balcony roads.

Some pics here of @Gerontious on them.

4-Y82wptf.thumb.png.3b085b25bc280543486151cf69f61d76.png

3-f99hOHk.thumb.png.e07a31dccb20f151c223370f180aa944.png

our timing was unfortunate re. Combe Laval being closed, plus the rivers of gravel on some of the roads we tried. Loose chippings from hell. One road in particular with the unlikely but entirely appropriate name “pass of death or the dead” still it was a great week. With the daily excitement of the wooden bridge to our camp ground.

I do not like wooden bridges.

IMG_0870.thumb.jpeg.92bdd50e165760d91f97e1b7c6528f11.jpeg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Combe Laval and Col de la Machine are essentially the same road. And well worth visiting, just include it as part of a longer route. It’s quite incredible especially when you consider how it was built. Men hanging from higher up the cliff and basically chipping away a groove and for what? All that effort to get at some trees.  A road that goes effectively from nowhere to nowhere, though as it’s linked at both ends that’s selling it short. The best part is probably not much more than a 1/4 mile long.

Grand Goulets sounds incredible but is so dangerous they eventually closed it completely. Dangerous mostly because if something goes wrong the chances of survival are small and the chances of a mishap are high. It’s constantly damp gets no sun at all and so is covered in algae and slime moulds, so very slippy. Narrow. Precipitous and impossible to be airlifted from. Great eh?

Balcony roads are as likely to be at the bottom of a cliff as near the top, built in the same way. Some of the longest run along the bottom of a cleft, these are just as incredible an experience.

if I do end up in the south of France next June then I’ll definitely be adding more to the itinerary.

The Route we took last year was mostly a function of seeking the best weather while finding interesting and scenic roads. I certainly wouldn’t have designed a tour to meander around how we did. We only had one instance of poor weather, on the Col de Rousett where we rode through thick cloud for a mile or two.  We did stumble on a few interesting roads that we wouldn’t have encountered had our original plan not been hampered by unseasonably cold weather on the Col de l’Iseran and eastwards from there.

We were quite taken with Gorges de Dalius, Col de la Croix de Fer (for the views) and Mont Ventoux. Col de Madeleine deserves a mention, too. 

We went to Mont Ventoux and it was definitely worthwhile. Just incredible how many cyclists there were despite it being a working weekday. I hate to think what it’s like at weekends or during the holidays. The view south across Provence was stunning.

Tried it again last year but was defeated by low cloud. Reached that and it rapidly became a pea soup, so gave up and turned around.

IMG_0880.thumb.jpeg.9775191c1e98608886ea83f40d84a62b.jpeg

22 hours ago, bonio said:

WP_20170905_14_05_16_Pro.jpg

Mt Ventoux and the crazy road to the summit.

Watch out for the photographers on the bends near the top. They have a signboard so you can contact their website, put in the date and approximate time and you'll find yourself featured. Not very expensive, paper photos and/or digital download.

06.19  TDM on Mont Ventoux.jpg

• Like 2

Those photographers were everywhere this year, over on the route des grande alpes and really got on my nerves. final ascent and then the descent, seemed like virtually every corner. flash flash. bloody flash. distracting and extremely irritating.

Only using the flash to attract attention as it was in brilliant sunshine so it made zero difference to the actual photo.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Those photographers were everywhere this year, over on the route des grande alpes and really got on my nerves. final ascent and then the descent, seemed like virtually every corner. flash flash. bloody flash. distracting and extremely irritating.

Only using the flash to attract attention as it was in brilliant sunshine so it made zero difference to the actual photo.

There were several on the Stelvio and one on one of the Italian passes. We’ve bought a couple from the Stelvio to go with those we have from the Col Du Tourmelet and Col de la Bonnette.  I think we’ll stop now. 

None were using flash - or if they were I was too busy enjoying the road or dealing with traffic to notice. 

• Like 1

At least these people aren't as bad as the scoundrels that used to prey on people on the Scotch Riviera during the Glasgow Fair when Maw, Paw and the weans went Doon the Watter for their annual holiday. These guys used to hang about the promenades clicking cameras at people and persuading them to part with a token deposit of usually half a crown.  Then they gave out a card with the address where the photos could be collected from in a couple of days.  Which was completely bogus !

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, curlylegend said:

At least these people aren't as bad as the scoundrels that used to prey on people on the Scotch Riviera during the Glasgow Fair when Maw, Paw and the weans went Doon the Watter for their annual holiday. These guys used to hang about the promenades clicking cameras at people and persuading them to part with a token deposit of usually half a crown.  Then they gave out a card with the address where the photos could be collected from in a couple of days.  Which was completely bogus !

Obviously moved up to online scamming. bast*rds. 

• Like 1

I would suggest a trip around Portugal. But I'm biased :) 

For the 2 weeks you would go to Porto in the North, travel down south to Lisbon and then back home.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, husoi said:

I would suggest a trip around Portugal. But I'm biased :) 

For the 2 weeks you would go to Porto in the North, travel down south to Lisbon and then back home.

Coincidental that I’m looking at Northern Spain at the moment, close to the border with Portugal, with a view to popping over the border for a day or so to see if it’s worth further investigation.