Safe place to pull over

Hi

Got my mod two in a couple of weeks need a little advice please, when being told to pull over in a safe place is it ok to stop on a double yellow line I’ve been told I can but it doesn’t seem right to me , could someone please clarify.

I wouldnt do it on a test unless in case of an emergency or if you would be in-the way of an emergency vehicle on call that wants to pass you unless you did it all the while and it looks safe then yes.

In a test it wouldnt matter if you had to roll down the road a bit further past the yellows to a better and safer spot, shows the examiner your paying attention and thinking of your and others safety...the number one rule.

Yes, you can stop on double yellows. Here it is, from the Highway Code: 

You MUST NOT wait or park on yellow lines during the times of operation shown on nearby time plates (or zone entry signs if in a Controlled Parking Zone) – see ‘Traffic signs’ and ‘Road markings’. Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs. You MUST NOT wait or park, or stop to set down and pick up passengers, on school entrance markings (see ‘Road markings’) when upright signs indicate a prohibition of stopping.

It needs a bit of decoding: you must not stop on school entrance markings. But there's no such prohibition on double yellows. Here, you mustn't park or wait on double yellows, but by implication, you can stop. It's not clear how long you have stop before it becomes waiting.

But also check rule 240 to see where you mustn't stop.

Edited by bonio

It’s a twicky one. A quick googly woogle says no. And that’s from a driving training school.

TL;DR — A Fast Summary of Yellow Line Rules

• Double yellow lines = You should never park or wait there

I’m always minded to say that what you do to pass the test isn’t the same thing as normal day to day riding.

its also often the case that double yellows are there because it’s not safe.

pass em by and pull over when there’s no complications 

Edited by Gerontious

15 minutes ago, Bender said:

They will have an area in mind for the pull over bit, it's highly unlikely it will involve double yellow lines because they will likely want to see you pull up and pull away with cars parked in the mix, don't over think it.

This is true. They normally want to see you pull out from where there are cars already parked.

• Like 1

I have to disagree and say 'no you shouldn't pull over or stop on double yellow lines' unless in an emergency or told to do so by plod. You pull over, you stop, you stop, you're waiting, you're waiting you're are parked. Unless they play a dirty trick on you to see if you have been observing the seasonal signage and even then you can argue it wasn't safe to stop, so you carried on until you found a safe place to stop. But then again I don't think I could pass my test again 😂 

Part of the test is not that you simply understand how to ride correctly, it's also that know how to interpret the reality of the situation. By this I mean that if a blue light vehicle came up behind you, you know how to react. The same principle can be applied to your question.

If you rode past an empty lay-by questions would be asked. Similarly, if you slammed on the anchors and stopped next to the farm gate without consideration for others don't expect a positive response. But, if you said to the man, look there wasn't anywhere sooner that I considered safe to stop, it shows you are thinking, and that's what examiners like to see. You've been asked to do something, you've looked at it, considered the options and this is the end result. It, in their eyes may not be their chosen spot, but if you defend the decision with your justification, it's going to be difficult for them to criticise. Anyway, that's what they taught me for my IAM test.

Edited by Capt Sisko

• 3 weeks later...

I was told to wait on double yellows for my examiner as I had made progress and got through a junction that he didn't. He was following in a car and I filtered. The length of road that I'd got to had quite a stretch of double yellows so if I didn't wait he'd probably be out of radio range. I lost him again about a mile later though.

• 2 months later...