Inner thigh....

No, it's not a dodgy pervy post (sorry).

Having not ridden for over twenty years, I collected my bike late Wednesday afternoon. 

It was dark, the roads were greasy and the temperature was -1.

So, to the point, I had the odd part of me get cold, but it soon went, apart from where my legs were wrapped around the tank, my thighs got quite cold. Obviously from the contact with the cold tank, which was full of cold petrol.

Can anyone recommend a "winter(?)" tank cover? Would it make a difference?

Part of me thinks I'm really not likely to be riding in such cold conditions, so I shouldn't bother, but, just a though.

Cheers

Simon

I don't think the problem is a cold tank, it's how you wrapped up your legs.  At -1 you're gonna need something to keep all the wind out + multiple layers preferably at least one of them being a baselayer that's skin tight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Aha, right. Many, many thanks good people. 

I was wearing some FLM lined, windproof and waterproof trousers, but that's all. 

I was obviously, very much underestimating what I needed. 

Very pleased with the second hand Bering armoured textile jacket. That has a removable inner jacket too, and only £50 from eBay. 

Gloves were great too. 

Edited by Simon Davey
Addition
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

They did leather tank covers that also doubled as tank bag holder years ago that were in fashion in the zzr1100-1300 era.

IMG_1343.thumb.jpeg.aa98dd4976709fcafe46d62fb64864b8.jpeg

That's cool, I have found a hand made leather looking polymer one, but it's £175. Thermals will be better value. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon Davey said:

Aha, right. Many, many thanks good people. 

I was wearing some FLM lined, windproof and waterproof trousers, but that's all. 

I was obviously, very much underestimating what I needed. 

Very pleased with the second hand Bering armoured textile jacket. That has a removable inner jacket too, and only £50 from eBay. 

Gloves were great too. 

-1 can easily feel like -25 on an dual carriageway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_chill

• Like 1

I've got some waterproof, RST trousers with a removable liner and it's that warm that I've removed the liner and still get to work nice and toasty.

I'd definitely get some thicker trousers over a tank protector

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mealexme said:

I've got some waterproof, RST trousers with a removable liner and it's that warm that I've removed the liner and still get to work nice and toasty.

I'd definitely get some thicker trousers over a tank protector

I went out this morning, it was 6 degrees and I never noticed the cold at all, but yes, if I start riding in weather any colder than that, I'll make a decent investment in thicker trousers. 

I must admit, I thought the £100 I paid for my trousers was a lot but looking around, they're "cheap". 

As said above, probably just need a decent thermal bare layer. 

One of the causes of cold thighs for us bikers is that when we're in the seated position our body and therefore trousers bend at the hips & knees and when this happens it pulls the material tight and compresses the insulation. We also tend to buy trousers a little tighter than the size you actually measure so they don't fall down! Jackets on the other hand tend to hang from our shoulders and have space inside for the insulating layers to work. Jackets also have velcro, press studs or whatever to stop flapping. If necessary these can be adjusted the other way to create a bit of give should you need an extra jumper. Well that's my theory.

• Like 1

Pants Also pulls it down and makes it naturally shorter, as the material has to travel longer distance of the bends of the groin, buttocks and knee area bending. How much of a difference this is depends on the clothing parts cut, individual body parts lengths and armour characteristics. Whereas the jacket in most cases will never be as bent or cramped as the legs (fairly unlikely even a race supersport bike in a racing tuck).

Hey guys, some very valid points made there. 

To (unknowingly) qualify the points made, I did loosen my trousers around the hips before my ride yesterday morning. 

Whilst it wasn't -1, it was still 4-6 drgrees. I did this because I thought being tight around the hips was reducing circulation, but of course, it would have been compressing the lining. 

It also made for a lot more comfort. 

As well as this, I put my boots on whilst sitting on a chair instead of standing, this meant everything was in the right place for riding, including how the trousers were strapped (Velcro) around the boot. 

Had a great ride for an hour. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My age old, sure fire way of preventing cold inner thighs is to stick my nose out the door, observe the mist coming from my mouth, shudder, withdraw back indoors and firmly close the door.

My days of following single decker buses right behind the radiator fan at the back to keep slightly warm, having to keep grabbing another handful of throttle because the throttle grip kept slowly slipping closed inside my wax cotton overmitts, dealing with steamed up, rain spotted visors*, and waiting with teeth clenched for the first dribbles of freezing cold rainwater to seep through my crotch or down my neck are well and truly over.

I admire you intrepid winter riders, but about five years of being a year round rider was enough for me.  80% of the time was fine, but those frosty, icy mornings, dark, windy and rainy evening rides home from work... No.

Motorcycles are supposed to be fun.

* Anybody remember V wipes?  Absolutely no use with overmitts.

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 2

I do ride for fun in winter. Pick the right day and it's pretty awesome.  Last Friday was a case in point. Modern gear keeps me warm and dry including riding for 4 solid hours in heavy rain from Gloucestershire to Northumberland. I'll not ride in ice and don't go looking for snow.  Occasionally get caught out in it and if far from home or my destination will look for shelter. 

• Like 1