Let's see how this claim goes

Pie man

A well known issue with the KTM. Several pictures have been sent over to the dealer, when I take it for a service next month I have asked them to raise a warranty claim with the manufacturer. Lets see how this goes. Emailed Several date stamped pictures of the defect, just in case they can't replicate the defect. :-D

LCDScreenIssuesPic5.thumb.jpeg.8b452294559709e16ab848bbabaa66bf.jpeg

• Sad 1

This was a fairly common occurrence for the 18 Africa Twin. common enough but not ubiquitous.

The electronics were completely sealed so they were safe. however there is an outer cover and water managed to get inside that, so I got water droplets and so on on the inside. Honda replaced it.

not really something to ignore as its likely to grow mould. or leave a haze of dissolved solids from the water as it dries out and then repeat the next time water gets in. Honda agreed to replace the screen the same day. Dealer said there was a moulding problem and the gasket wasn't seated properly.

Its not happened again.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

Yep condensation or in your case water behind the clock screen Common with including the Bennelli i had (mist or fogging in my case) but yours is way way worse.

they haven't got a good seal from either the loom that goes into the clocks or the outer case but most of the time they try to blame the owner jet washing the bike at point blank with 100000000psi ... just a shite design with a shoddly fit to be blunt.

They shouldnt have a problem with a claim but to ways it will go, they change the outer case or the whole unit so a new set of clocks that will start from 0 mls, if you haven't had it serviced after a first 600mils dealer job your ok or if you can rack up the miles past your last one before its due otherwise your always gonna have to say why if you sell on...

Edited by RideWithStyles
Autocorrect

The fiche says its a single piece. Im not convinced that the data displayed on the instruments will be stored within the instruments, its probably too modern to have a mechanical ODO. so changing it shouldn't affect anything. Its an expensive part though. £1.015 retail.

Lets hope its not a single piece and its just a dodgy cover.

Its still a warranty claim nonetheless. hopefully the dealer will fight your corner with H.O.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

The mileage is pretty much always stored on the clocks.

Mine was and had to have the whole unit changed and started from fresh.

Yeah agree, well on the Yamaha it is stored in the clocks, thought most were.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Yeah agree, well on the Yamaha it is stored in the clocks, thought most were.

maybe.. but it does strike me as a bit odd that all the info comes from the ECU and then this one piece of data - mileage. is stored in the display. maybe its stored in both locations and fitting a new display will overwrite the 000000 when it boots up for the first time' or as one armchair expert states. "The Dealer should be able to rewrite the odo, armed with a laptop plugged into the ECU." We'll find out.. assuming the full display has to be replaced.

I did come across this, which might be good news. posted back in 2020. Though it's a bit shameful that its still happening.

Screenshot2024-01-30at18_20_03.thumb.png.927d1cffcfec3ad816dff91b5fe6132e.png

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

What am I looking at? Not familiar with KTM's.

@S-WesterlyCondensation behind the screen, just as bad on the left side. I have several pictures before and after the cooling process, now there is no condensation. 

@RideWithStyles typical KTM, this being my second, although no issues with the big 1290 i had.

I know it hasn't been done by a power washer, I hate cleaning bikes. Only ever had a slight hose wash before applying XCP. There were no issues during last summers run out to Euroland, no issues at all. This is purely seasonal, typical condensation determined primarily by the air temperature and the relative humidity cause by the heat of the bike, oh and shite parts 🤣

Edited by Pie man
  • Sad 1

KTM UK claim it happens to a percentage of other manufacturers therefore statistically, falls in line with other woes and try to pass it off as normal. I have pictures of the condensation affecting the display and obscuring information/safety information on the screen. Hopefully this will be resolved when it goes for a service at the end of March. Although my confidence in dealer customer service is bordering on zero. 

Cant change the odo mileage its hard wired set into it at its core and pretty much trying will just break it hence why "clocking" is never heard of nowadays in car or bike world.
Changing the clocks to a lower mileage units is still always possible.
I remember the spat of clocks being nicked easily off ktms and s1000 naked bms being a problem...reason's being is many to cut it short but im sure you can figure out why.

It doesnt matter if it happens to other manufacturers or not (never had it on anyother bike before) that not your problem that they designed a shote job and most likely "get them from the same place" if you want to think that way.

they should change it cos it has all the chances of breaking the clocks or worse immobilise the bike at a dangerous time because of it. If it goes you shouldnt be riding it without the clocks working.

Well from my knowledge i never got much of a fight for the clock, painted parts, a whole exhaust system all at the same time from benelli which is a Chinese owned...