Temporary Puncture Repair -Tubed Tyre

Hi Folks

Any recommendations for a Temporary Puncture Repair (Tubed Tyre), to get home on, without having to remove the wheel / tyre and patch the tube.

Im not sure there is such a thing - after the fact.

even adding these liquids to a undamaged tube that can fill a hole are hit and miss. you just can't guarantee they will work. ask the question and some will say it worked. others will say it didn't and just created a mess. and then further problems when they had the tyre fixed professionally. or at home. side of the road -wherever. I know a lot of people with tubed tyres rely on good luck. That they won't get a puncture or, alternatively practice changing the tube and carry a spare with them plus the tools needed of course. My bike came with tubed wheels as standard. I paid a hefty amount of cash to avoid all these problems and bought new wheels.

seems to me the best course is to buy the level of assistance that will at least get you home. or to somewhere open that can fix the tube there and then. or fit a new one if you carry a spare. carrying a spare is probably the best thing you can do. Though I guess that doesnt help much if you're already stuck.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

I used to use Slime in my tubed dirt bike tyres when I was off roading.  Maybe worth a look?  It could be used preventatively and also for emergency repair.  Not sure about it being used in a big road bike though??

45 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Im not sure there is such a thing - after the fact.

even adding these liquids to a undamaged tube that can fill a hole are hit and miss. you just can't guarantee they will work. ask the question and some will say it worked. others will say it didn't and just created a mess. and then further problems when they had the tyre fixed professionally. or at home. side of the road -wherever. I know a lot of people with tubed tyres rely on good luck. That they won't get a puncture or, alternatively practice changing the tube and carry a spare with them plus the tools needed of course. My bike came with tubed wheels as standard. I paid a hefty amount of cash to avoid all these problems and bought new wheels.

seems to me the best course is to buy the level of assistance that will at least get you home. or to somewhere open that can fix the tube there and then. or fit a new one if you carry a spare. carrying a spare is probably the best thing you can do. Though I guess that doesnt help much if you're already stuck.

Trouble is with buying assistance is that I'm not sure it would cover green lanes and as much as I could argue that I'm on a 'road' I'm not sure the AA would agree 😉🤣

43 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

I used to use Slime in my tubed dirt bike tyres when I was off roading.  Maybe worth a look?  It could be used preventatively and also for emergency repair.  Not sure about it being used in a big road bike though??

Yeah, Slime is what I'm thinking to get me to a more robust repair solution, just wondered if there was anything else (apart from Mousses) as removing and fitting an enduro tyre with levers needs Gorilla type hands.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Looove tubeless tyres.

me too, which is why I have a set of tubed wheels and tyres that have just 500 miles on them. I’m not entirely sure why I still have them cluttering up one of the spare bedrooms.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, husoi said:

Interesting but unfortunately not a tubed tyre