New (cheap) helmet

Got an adventure type lid to go Green laning in.

LS2 from M&P £45 with free P&P should have been £129:99, so a right bargain - the colour scheme is a bit shouty but was the only one in my size, fits well.1F9EEB7D-C312-48A5-B89A-F2E17BAF94AE.thumb.jpeg.a6abc99848aec3efc35dbff75b8f13ee.jpeg

• Like 4

Can't remember what I paid for it must be 15years old at least, but it's a very good fit, since I cut down the cheek padding, never computerize on anything that protects the old gray matter.

IMG_7379.JPG

13 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Aren't we supposed to change helmets every 5 years or so? 

Oh! didn't know that, looks like im going crash hat shopping

just looking as we post.

What is the life expectancy of AGV helmet?

5 years

Generally speaking, a helmet should be replaced either 5 years after date of purchase or 7 years after date of manufacturing, whichever comes first. Over time, changes in humidity and temperature can weaken the interior EPS liner and comfort liner within the helmet.
Edited by Vic101

Apparently even well looked after helmets can deteriorate with time. Liners certainly do although you can buy replacements for many quality helmets. The hard shell theoretically can too although speaking personally mine are always getting little dings and chips from wear and tear. It's an excuse that my wife seems to accept anyway.

11 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Apparently even well looked after helmets can deteriorate with time. Liners certainly do although you can buy replacements for many quality helmets. The hard shell theoretically can too although speaking personally mine are always getting little dings and chips from wear and tear. It's an excuse that my wife seems to accept anyway.

EEK! just looked when mine was made 9/2007, yeah the missis.

yes correct with the aspect of that the users uses the helmet very regularly, in all weather types with minimal cleaning and maintenance, oh and no harsh chemicals used and not small dropies etc.

if its very minimal wearing with light use (stored correctly in winter etc) then theoretically you can put that abit further....

Save me from sounding to much of a hypocrite, I just got this from the sports bike shop not out of loyalty it was almost the cheapest one out their. and its got a built in sun visor
Bell

Bell SRT Modular - Ribbon Black / Red

Edited by Vic101

4 hours ago, Mickly said:

Got an adventure type lid to go Green laning in.

LS2 from M&P £45 with free P&P should have been £129:99, so a right bargain - the colour scheme is a bit shouty but was the only one in my size, fits well.1F9EEB7D-C312-48A5-B89A-F2E17BAF94AE.thumb.jpeg.a6abc99848aec3efc35dbff75b8f13ee.jpeg

Great to see a worthwhile bargain.

• Like 1

Ive more important things to concern myself with than the age of my crash helmet. I have two. one for general use and another that's only worn for touring. I tend to replace them when they no longer fit properly - this happens - usually if they deteriorate. - or are dropped badly.. I'm in no rush.

40 minutes ago, Blackholesun said:

I like to look at the sharps ratings and noticed none of the ls2 ones scores higher than 3 stars.does anyone else pay any attention to sharps ratings 

Not really. what is important is that the helmet is genuine and has the ECE standard. this means that a helmet from every batch has to be tested to that standard.  this is what matters also crucially that it fits properly.  oddly,  Arai helmets seem to have a fairly bad sharp rating for some of their helmets. but nobody could say that Arai don't know how to make safe crash helmets. same for Shoei and many other top flight brands. when I used to pay attention to such things I did think that some of the tests that Sharp used where, shall we say 'somewhat unrealistic". I gave up paying them any attention. My own helmet is 5* on sharp. and is in the budget class.  whereas Schuberth average 3* and are considerably more expensive. it seems meaningless to me and just another added complication paying serious attention to what they say.

• Like 1

I changed from a Schuberth to a Shoei funnily enough at around 5 years. The Schuberth was becoming loose and there were a few chips on the outside. I have no idea what the Sharp rating is for any of my helmets. Not worried about it either.

one thing to pass a test that is made up to try to simulate something of what happens in rhe real world, it's completely different to one that actually tries it out in the real world...

test are very one sided... so Aria will test a blunt force test of say a stone slab at X Knm  of test as mostly you'll either twat your head against a car or tarmac which is hard and flat so blunt force truma...where as sharp with do a anvil or a spiked test at the same...now some will say unless im being attacked but a nutter with a ice pick or pick axe is that relative?

the shell of a organic layered shell that requires specific labour intensive work of say aria or shoie is very strong but does a spiders web of distribution of the forces tocthe surrounding shell rather than transmit to the foam so the wave length of the force is different so the eps is better equipped.

now if your more modern tech of thermoplastic or other sythnic type, yes the shell itself is stronger of the pointed force but it transmits the force directly to the foam padding below, so the shell might look good after having a stabby thing at it but the eps had taking more of the force and certain wave lengths directly to it, better hope that foam is real good shit cos otherwise your brain gonna be very messed up.

even if the thermo has been designed to absorb and distribute the force more, the eps has to be really well developed to cope with the certain nm wave to cope.

just to say none is super bad but the results only show/reflect for that a test is for consistency, if it's relevant is up for discussion or someone's perspective.

Edited by RideWithStyles

10 hours ago, Blackholesun said:

I like to look at the sharps ratings and noticed none of the ls2 ones scores higher than 3 stars.does anyone else pay any attention to sharps ratings 

Nope! 

In fact I stay well away from their website 

It is well known that their testing is flawed 

https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Why-we-don-t-really-rate-the-Sharp-helmet-test

There is plenty more of information out there if you look about 

When they started testing they was doing stupid stuff like dropping the helmet on to a blunt object to replicate a kerb 

An helmet never hits anything square on like that! it always glances off due to the fact you are traveling forwards 

• Like 1