I have an American classic import 1985 Honda Shadow 500cc and as I live in London I was informed by letter from the Mayor's office that my bike doesn't meet the new emissions requirements, so I can no longer ride ..unless I pay £12.50 per day to do so. Can someone please, please tell me how I can make my bike 'emissions correct', if that term makes sense? How can I resolve that problem? Is there some way to make my bike legal? I'd be grateful for any advice on this front. I'm desperate as I really don't want to sell my 'Merlin'. Thank you so much.

I would personally, if it was me, save the expense and heartache of trying to make it ULEZ compliant, and invest my pennies in buying a commuter bike that's already ULEZ compliant.  Sadly the bike doesn't fall into the classic exemption category (I believe that covers classic bikes over 40yrs old, although could be wrong).  IMHO trying to tweak the emissions could potentially make it unridable.  Then, after you've done whatever you need to do, you have to have it emissions tested and certified as compliant, which again isn't cheap.  Sad f------g world we're moving into, where some decent older machines are being slowly but surely forced off the road!  May be worth having a chat with a local garage, see what advice they can give, if any. 

As an afterthought, you could just keep your fingers crossed that Khan gets voted out in May, I hear his opponents keep saying that they will at least scrap the ULEZ expansion scheme, although as with most politicians, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Whatever you do with it, good luck, I certainly don't envy you living in London, 👍 

I have read stories of getting older bikes through the relevant tests. Not sure how because l don't live there but l definitely saw something. So l wouldn't give up just yet. Hopefully someone will be along to point you in the right direction.

Ultimately of course burning fossil fuels and polluting the air we breathe will be phased out, but not quite just yet.

6 hours ago, manxie49 said:

I would personally, if it was me, save the expense and heartache of trying to make it ULEZ compliant, and invest my pennies in buying a commuter bike that's already ULEZ compliant.  Sadly the bike doesn't fall into the classic exemption category (I believe that covers classic bikes over 40yrs old, although could be wrong).  IMHO trying to tweak the emissions could potentially make it unridable.  Then, after you've done whatever you need to do, you have to have it emissions tested and certified as compliant, which again isn't cheap.  Sad f------g world we're moving into, where some decent older machines are being slowly but surely forced off the road!  May be worth having a chat with a local garage, see what advice they can give, if any. 

As an afterthought, you could just keep your fingers crossed that Khan gets voted out in May, I hear his opponents keep saying that they will at least scrap the ULEZ expansion scheme, although as with most politicians, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Whatever you do with it, good luck, I certainly don't envy you living in London, 👍 

Thank you so much for your response. It has given me a lot to think about. It is a sad f-ing world indeed. So much work and expense. Shrieeeek! I'll chat to my mechanic see what he says. London Grrrr!

2 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

I have read stories of getting older bikes through the relevant tests. Not sure how because l don't live there but l definitely saw something. So l wouldn't give up just yet. Hopefully someone will be along to point you in the right direction.

Ultimately of course burning fossil fuels and polluting the air we breathe will be phased out, but not quite just yet.

6 hours ago, manxie49 said:

It comes to mind my 86 shadow 700c

The c comes from California which have strick laws for emissions.

The difference between mine and the normal shadows is the carbon canister and the emissions control unit.

If you look for the service manual for the 86 shadow 700c it will show the paraphernalia of hoses and additional elements for California compliance 

Just now, husoi said:

It comes to mind my 86 shadow 700c

The c comes from California which have strick laws for emissions.

The difference between mine and the normal shadows is the carbon canister and the emissions control unit.

If you look for the service manual for the 86 shadow 700c it will show the paraphernalia of hoses and additional elements for California compliance 

Thanks so much for your response. Yes, my Shadow is c. So c stands for California! I didn't know that. I just know it's an American import. What you say sounds really interesting. I'll have to investigate that. Although I have to admit I know nothing at all about mechanics, hoses etc. But I can ask my mechanic to check the bike for carbon canister and emissions control unit. There just might be hope. Fingers crossed. Thank you again!!

• Like 1

ULEZ won't be scrapped whoever gets in so there is not a lot of point just bitching. You need to get up on the rules and play the game, find out what the manufacturer states as emissions for that bike.

Which motorbikes are exempt from ULEZ?
A significant number of pre-2007 motorcycle are exempt from ULEZ charges. This is because, even though older, they produce less than the 0.15 g/Km of NOx emissions ULEZ and Euro3 was configured to prevent. Some common examples of these are Honda's CBR1100RRXX Super Blackbird, the Ducati Monster 600 and BMW's R1150GS.8 Aug 2023

You could just take your bike to be tested at a ULEZ test centre

“The test takes 30 minutes on our rolling road and costs £175 - which you only pay if your bike passes”

So the test ( if it passes ) is equivalent to 14 days ULEZ charge at the current rate.

• Like 2

Hi.

yes the c is a californian spec so its pretty much the cleanest model of it type at that time (emission saving design in 85.🤪..🥸).

as nick says really.

anyway the general rule is if its close to the pass grade from std then just simply a tweak to the carbs/injecting, air box/filter and exhaust will be enough if it doesn't bugger up the rideability too much. there are things you could try to add (cannisters and extra baffles etc) but that depends on if that can be added or works with the old timer...the further away you are as std or modified to the pass the harder it is to get it to pass.

mine is a bandit 650s k5 2005 carb is still in the pass mark as bog standard for now, no doubt as the years tick on the pass mark will get a hellofalot higher and tighter no matter which arseho they sit behind that desk,so ill either have to tweak it or change it,  so if advice was going id say newer it is the better long term.