Sights on the riverbank

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

any nation of people who go around eating frogs and snails i think are a bit lacking 🤢

Ah, but I like snails although I can give frogs legs a miss. Egyptians eat them too by the way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bonio said:

I'm similar. I'm not so fond of France. Great food, great scenery, but I quickly get tired of all the petty rules, and everyone complaining their neighbours: it robs me of any hope for the future of mankind. The northeast of France is different: great people, but crap food and scenery designed to cast despair into the sunniest of personalities. But when it comes Egypt, I've been there, oh I don't know, 8 times perhaps, and I'd go back at the drop of a hat. Excellent food, astonishing scenery and Egyptians are just hilarious to be with.  

Just shows you, takes all sorts...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, skyrider said:

any nation of people who go around eating frogs and snails i think are a bit lacking 🤢

From my observations, I've never seen any French People eating snails or frogs' legs.  On the very rare occasion we've accidentally ended up in a tourist trap resto it was always Brits who dared each other to order them.

If you keep away from these places and particularly if you're in France Profonde, that is the places well away from big cities, you'll still get andouille, which are actually chitlins, ris de veau which we would know as sweetbreads, and even panse de brebis known to us as haggis. This will be in the small restos with usually a chalkboard for the daily dish.  To me this is real French cuisine. Good wholesome hearty meals freshly cooked with seriously fresh ingredients.

In our local supermarche we can get all sorts of stuff that we used to get in Wolverhampton after that last disagreement with the Germans. Like rabbit, calves brains, ox tails, livers from just about all known domestic animals, potted haugh, and squares of pigskin. 

One of our guests remarked that the French were taking this low fat and no fat stuff as seriously as the UK, because there was plenty of it on the shelves. We had to point out that it was LEFT on the shelves because it's just not that popular round here and the full fat stuff is always first choice.

But even we can get McDonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken if we wanted to go exotic, which a surprising number of the younger locals seem to do.  

However all is not lost if you prefer over packaged over processed nutritionally questionable junk food, The supermaches are delighted to sell you that too !

Not sure I want to face andouiettes again after mine reappeared in the public conveniences at the ferry terminal in Cherbourg. Was awkward as I needed the loo at the time for other purposes. 

12 minutes ago, bonio said:

Not sure I want to face andouiettes again after mine reappeared in the public conveniences at the ferry terminal in Cherbourg. Was awkward as I needed the loo at the time for other purposes. 

I'm dying to ask for more details, but I don't think I will.

• Haha 2

I love France. 

On the subject of Egypt, my ex-wife and I were due to go on a holiday there but had to cancel at the last minute. We were due to fly on 12th September 2001. 
We went to Cornwall instead 😀

• Like 1