Where a 125 can go......

dannyringking

Hi All,

This is probably a stupid question, just about to get my first bike and I know on a CBT I can't use the motorways, Is there anywhere else I can't go and how easy is it to travel about not using motorways? After 25 years of driving a car and using motorways and relying on them to get from A to B I wondered how easy or not is it to adapt to other roads..

Any advice would be great....

Danny

I got a 125 and live in leicester area if you ever want someone to ride with . . 2 weeks back i went to sheffield from leicester via derby and matlock etc etc. Lovely roads all A's and B's just ashame about the 50 mph speed limit all around Matlock Bath.

What 125 have you got?

I would say its not just motorways we have am a road near us that has an m prefix and blue signs thats off limits to learner's too.

Yeah that bit of the road has been 'upgraded' to motorway status, for some strange reason. Bet it doesnt have more than 2 lanes though?

I would say its not just motorways we have am a road near us that has an m prefix and blue signs thats off limits to learner's too.

Yeah that bit of the road has been 'upgraded' to motorway status, for some strange reason. Bet it doesnt have more than 2 lanes though?

As long as it has 2 lanes and a hard shoulder it can be classed as a motorway.

one of the girls on here managed to get from Lands End to John O Groats on a YBR125, and she's been on a ride with some of us from the North West too.. but she is chicken oriental....

a clue she has LETJOG in her signup

also GarethNW had a Sym 125, and did Skelmersdale to Eastwood, Notts on A roads for last years annual rally,

all motorways, including things like the A1(M), and other A roads with M in,

also a section of the A55 in wales as someone has mentioned, and the A1 near Edingburgh, also known as "special roads"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_road

As long as it has 2 lanes and a hard shoulder it can be classed as a motorway.

Pedantic side of me coming out, but the A6144(M) (carrington spur) is single carrageway and until 2006 was technically a motorway, while its been downgraded most of the motorway laws still apply on that road, and its still maked on most maps as the "A6144(M)"

http://www.pathetic.org.uk/former/a6144m/

anyway, as an ex car driver i find the best way of going long distances on L plates (when i had them, and still today when i have a pillion) is finding roads with either 1 or 2 numbers after the A, and see where they go, as usually there long distance, and was establuished well before the era of m/ways (e.g A1 runs from londong to edinburgh, A6 runs from London to carlisle, A5 runs from London to holyhead) and same with the 2 numbers (A49 from preston to ross-on-wye, A50 from Warrington to Lestershire, A57 from liverpool to somewhere on the east coast) and so on ;)

EDIT:- A49, not A46 (not that anybody will notice) :oops:

Edited by ricky_v

I am taking a Yamaha YZF-R125 this year from John O Groats to Lands End put it that way.

Its called LETJOG The Long way round. Basically down the right hand flank of the country and around the edge. 2700 miles plus 1000 miles taking the A-roads up there and then the route home from lands end. 3700 miles by 125. Hoping it will be the biggest ever done :)

Doesnt matter what size bike you own or what power output. The only limitations out there are the ones you create for yourself.

This country is a play ground. Use it wisely and you'll have the time of your life no matter what bike you own :D

• 9 years later...

[mention]rennie[/mention]

I was shocked when I saw a post by Techno!! I thought he'd returned & then I saw the date of 2010 :lol:

[mention]Oliver[/mention]

Both of those roads are fine for 125 use. Its only motorways and any A roads with an M in brackets eg A1(M) that you cant use

Yes anything g with an m on it and blue sign is classed as motorway. For what it's worth I don't like using motorways anyway bore me to tears. I'm off to Brighton from nr Birmingham later this month and it will be a roads all the way for me.

Hello and Welcome :D

This is a very old post! :lol:

I was 19 when I last posted in here, and I'll be 29 in a few months :shock:

But to the question, if the road doesn't have an M in it, a 125 can use it on L-plates :thumb:

Cheers Guys,

I wasn't suggesting I want to use the motorways but after so many years its hard to get into ur head not using them, I will just ave to buy a small GB atlas and start exploring on my bike (Honda CBF 125)

Danny 8-)

I was in the same boat 12 months ago. Several years driving and got my first bike last year. Any road with an M in it is to be avoided. Although in a 125 (I have cb125f) I'd avoid a motorway even if I'd a full licence. Accidently ended up on the M11 one windy day. I was convinced i was going to die. Luckily just like in space. In your helmet nobody can hear you scream!

I know it's a very old thread but I recently travelled from Coventry to Scouri in the far North West Highlands of Scotland without using any motorways except half an hour on the M8 to get around Glasgow. And great fun it was too.

Hello and Welcome :D

This is a very old post! :lol:

I was 19 when I last posted in here, and I'll be 29 in a few months :shock:

But to the question, if the road doesn't have an M in it, a 125 can use it on L-plates :thumb:

.....Did you only just get back? 8-)