Offenders on life sentence and human rights

Zod

Feck it, all this crap about "human rights". I`ll have a knee jerk reaction......string/lock the f*&^$`s up. (dependant on crime of course)

I`ve managed to get through nearly 50 years with only a couple of VERY minor runs in`s with the law so why the hell should people that kill, torture and steal etc. get an easy ride. Save some bloody money on keeping the sods and buy a bit of rope. :up:

The USA executes the second most people in the world and has similar crime levels to the UK.

It's interesting how most of you seem to have overlooked this really big point in favour of ignorant right wing ranting...

We've moved on from "an eye for an eye" justice because we are a developed civilised nation not a community of barbaric mud-hut tribesmen

They are far from being part of civilised nation for the crimes they commit, murder, torture, rape the list could go on. These animals shouldn't be treated faily in my opinion, and nor should they be released back into the world. Also for the record I know it's already been said though prisoners can get qualifications whilst in prison so if the tax payer doesn't want to continue paying to keep them in there then, prison funding should come out of the prisoner I think. Make them work to be kept locked behind bars :D

Do you write for the Daily Mail?

No they haven't, they have simply said that whole life sentences should be periodically reviewed.

Seems about right to me.

Ok... Review Ian Brady...

Is it still the case he murdered and sexually abused small children?

Yes

Case settled.

Just because hes an old man doesn't mean anything. Yes he's likely now harmless but the ferocity of his crimes should say he lost his right to life when he took that away from small children.

He had the utmost disregard for even the basic human rights of those children. I don't care if he wouldn't or couldn't do it again. His crimes carry a heavy penalty. At least prison humanely deprives someone of living. They have all their needs satisfied for free.

They are far from being part of civilised nation for the crimes they commit, murder, torture, rape the list could go on.

It's our response to these people that makes us civilised, there will always be offenders, it's up to us to take the higher ground

They are far from being part of civilised nation for the crimes they commit, murder, torture, rape the list could go on.

It's our response to these people that makes us civilised, there will always be offenders, it's up to us to take the higher ground

You aren't wrong there tbh

rehabilitation through art and literature. While they're inside, force them to take an active role in a drama group where they dance and sing. They also should work for their keep. and in their "spare" time, they have books and musical instruments to keep themselves amused.

TV should be off limits, as well as digital entertainment and pool. They could use the time to study for a degree.

I agree, life sentences should be periodically reviewed, or our prison system of rehabilitation doesn't mean anything. People can change - some people don't, this is what a review is about. regardless of the monstrous acts they have done, they are still human beings.

You could say its the trial by jury that makes us civilised.

If we changed this thread to what would you do if someone hurt you kids and you got hold of them and could do what you like without retribution I wonder how many would actually say "I'd lock them in a box feed and care for them"

I mean look at all the nasty things people would apparently do to bike thieves!

Zod you change your opinion as much as your socks fella!

You could say its the trial by jury that makes us civilised.

If we changed this thread to what would you do if someone hurt you kids and you got hold of them and could do what you like without retribution I wonder how many would actually say "I'd lock them in a box feed and care for them"

I mean look at all the nasty things people would apparently do to bike thieves!

Zod you change your opinion as much as your socks fella!

Well its obvious that you have a better grip on things than the paid professionals with a lifetime of experience that make these decisions

Well he certainly makes more sense!! :mrgreen:

Oh lord I am against the entire Sun/Daily Mail's subscription base here aren't I? Haha

Nope I just don't bother argueing with those who won't listen...The death penalty is proven to be a useless deterent against major crime but those who don't like proof will always want it back....very old testament...

how long before all prisoners decide its "against their human rights" to be in prison for the full duration of their sentence????

how long before all prisoners will be asking for regular reviews ??

how long before all prisoners decide its "against their human rights" to be in prison for the full duration of their sentence????

how long before all prisoners will be asking for regular reviews ??

And how many of us, if all our past deeds were opened up to examination haven't committed an imprisonable offence at some time in our lives? Quite often the only difference between those on the outside and the ones on the in are the latter have been caught, the former haven't.

Those inside are being kept out of circulation, that should be enough without everyone salivating at the lips about how cruelly they should be treated while they're there.

Well he certainly makes more sense!! :mrgreen:

Oh lord I am against the entire Sun/Daily Mail's subscription base here aren't I? Haha

Nope I just don't bother argueing with those who won't listen...The death penalty is proven to be a useless deterent against major crime but those who don't like proof will always want it back....very old testament...

Who mentioned anything about it being a deterent?

I just rather I had my tax spent on more worthy causes, I don't know these predators nor do I want to pay for there existence, that is my stance POV whatever, its different to yours that's also fine as I've said repeatedly its always going to split opinion and I am talking about a small minority of offenders.

I dont think you should just shoot em, cus if you want to die, why not go and rape some hot chick before you go...

They need to be punished with sevre boredom and in cases rehab with actually people who can rehab em with mental support..

But with the others who just keep comiting crime just for the sake of it, should be sent to a 5 by 5 mile land where its walls are guarded with concrete underground ect, and let em fend for themselfs.

they will either get bored or just kill each other ect but wont be any money to support it as its all in the wild.

The USA executes the second most people in the world and has similar crime levels to the UK.

It's interesting how most of you seem to have overlooked this really big point in favour of ignorant right wing ranting...

We've moved on from "an eye for an eye" justice because we are a developed civilised nation not a community of barbaric mud-hut tribesmen

I've always had a bit of a problem with the notion of a society that says "thou shall not kill, and if you do, we will kill you". Execution in the name of "civilised" society has always seemed to me to be an extreme form of hypocrisy. In my view taking another's life can never be fully justified.

if someone breaks the accepted laws of society should they then be protected by the rights that society provides?

If I dont pay my insurance company should they still have to help me if my bike gets stolen?

I personally feel that prisoners shouldn't have any rights until their sentence has been completed.