Which lane at this crazy roundabout?

Just failed my Mod2 because I went the wrong way on this roundabout in Uxbridge. The entrance has 3 lanes, the left marked as 'Left only' and the other 2 as 'straight on'. There is no 'right' arrow.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee400/mikedzk/UxbridgeRoundabout.jpg

I was told to turn right so I approached in the right hand lane (painted as 'straight ahead' on the road) and basically followed the red line. I understand why I was wrong because as I came around the roundabout suddenly I realised my lane was 'right turn only' and I didnt turn right.

According to my instructor I should have followed the green line. Am I missing something or am I correct in thinking that there is no way anyone would be able to navigate that roundabout correctly unless they knew it beforehand and know not to approach in the right hand lane (unlike the highway code advice)?

Secondly, it the green line correct or should I follow the blue line? Or should I follow the blue and then yellow?

Cheers.

Mike

Is it signposted before?

Unless its signposted of you had prior knowleged of the layout, how could you follow the red line?

Also those dotted lines raise and interesting question, Would you be expected to indicate left as you cross them as you are changing lanes? If you were to indicate it would be very misleading to vehicles joining from the right of the photo as they would think you were pulling off!

So if you join the roundabout on the green line indicating right to signal your not taking the first exit, you would actually end up moving to the left lane whilst still indicating right...

The examiner clearly hated you lol

Is it signposted before?

Unless its signposted of you had prior knowleged of the layout, how could you follow the red line?

Also those dotted lines raise and interesting question, Would you be expected to indicate left as you cross them as you are changing lanes? If you were to indicate it would be very misleading to vehicles joining from the right of the photo as they would think you were pulling off!

So if you join the roundabout on the green line indicating right to signal your not taking the first exit, you would actually end up moving to the left lane whilst still indicating right...

The examiner clearly hated you lol

lol i would have said green line

I would have followed the red line. Were there any signs on the approach? Can you post a street view of the approach?

I would have done the same too.

It looks like this is the round about > LINK

It's a little unclear on the round about approach as it looks like the third lane is under construction, but once on the round about it shows the third lane.

Personally I would have still used the right hand lane.

I revisited this roundabout today and drove it several times in different directions. There are no signs that indicate anything out of the ordinary. I think the problem stems from the fact that this roundabout previously only had a left and right turn, there was no 'straight on' - this is a new road. You can find it on google here and check out the street view:

Dropped pin

near 69 Park Rd, Uxbridge, Greater London UB8 https://goo.gl/maps/AJy2hbpaegE2

You'll see that some of the street views are older and there are works going on. Some are newer and you can see the new lane layout. I think the roundabout has been screwed up when a new exit was built and they couldn't be bothered repainting all the lanes.

I personally can't see anything wrong with you turning right at that roundabout in that manner. It's what I would have done in the same situation, especially if I'd never been round that roundabout before. I certainly wouldn't have been in the left lane at the approach to the roundabout if I wanted to turn right.

I agree right hand lane. Also, having followed it round using the google maps thing, if you used the left hand lane (as he wanted you to do) you would have come off the roundabout in the left hand lane and found yourself in a lane that is left turn ahead only!

Pity you didn't ask the examiner why? He should have given you an answer and you might have been able to challenge. Prob not changed his mind on the outcome of the test but he had to give a reason for the failure. Even if it was local knowledge, that still wouldn't make sense to me!

Without prior experience I would have done the same. My instructor took us on a couple of test route roundabouts that have unconventional ways round it.

How ever the examiner is correct as the left lane does become the only lanes to enter that road and the right lane continues round.

Daft!

I was always told it's a fail if you're turning right but don't enter the roundabout in the correct lane so cut lanes Halfway round. So would have done what you did. In fact I still would!

On second thoughts let's not go to that roundabout Tis a silly place

Having taken a closer look, the green route is the correct route but unless signs tell you or the examiner says, 'left hand lane is the most appropriate lane', which I have heard them say on car tests, I don't see how you were expected to know!

Firstly I'd have done the same as you. Secondly who trained you? They should be pointing this out. I did my test in Uxbridge but can't remember this roundabout. However my trainer went over the double roundabout with me several times, which did come up in the test.

There is a round-a-bout next to the Shieldhall test centre in Glasgow that has contradictory signs. The training school made a point of showing us how to negotiate it without failing. Your school should have done the same. There are only a certain number of routes the instructors can take to get in various types of road in the time limit. Good schools will know the hazards.

That round-a-bout is a bugger. I would have taken the right hand lane to turn right. But when the keep turning right arrow appeared, I would have gone on round again and then moved into the middle lane.

There have been lots of reports of round-a-bout accidents on this forum. The best way to stay safe is be prepared to abort leaving and go round again rather than dart off.

It looks like this is the round about > LINK

But if you click back a bit on the opposite lane there is a newer image with a sign that says you can turn right from the right lane.

I would guess from the layout that the middle lane from the Chippendale Waye approach keeps to the left around the roundabout, and the right lane becomes the middle one when it expands on the eastern side.

It is notable that the northern approach on the B483 has a full (double) give way line rather than a normal roundabout (single) one like the other approaches. This is presumably to stop anyone waiting there from expecting traffic on the roundabout, and not indicating to exit, to be using the middle and right lanes. Otherwise they may think they have unfettered access to the left lane.

That would make the correct routes around it as:

1991882169_ScreenShot2016-01-26at12_12_38pm.png.50ac677996eddd5d376b155a18c24e96.png

And that extra third roundabout lane would only be used if turning right from the B483 in Chippendale Waye.

I would guess the logic we are supposed to understand is that, unless indicated otherwise, if you are in the second lane then that is still your lane even if the road expands. So to have ended up in that right turn lane would have meant you changed lanes from the second to third lane.

Although that would then make the instructor wrong, as their green line goes from first to second lanes.

But as there are two right turn lanes on approach, two lanes on the roundabout when you join it, and two exit lanes on the B483 the idea that all traffic from both lanes has to merge on the roundabout to use the outside exit lane, which their green line suggests, is absurd.

It could be a lot clearer though with a lane divider where it expands, you should not need to forensically examine satellite images.

I think that some roundabouts are far too complicated these days. There's one near my works where people frequently cross three lanes and back again simply because it's too confusing. I stick to the outside lane as much as possible when turning right on it, simply to reduce the very real risk of someone pulling into the side of me. :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my retest coming up.

I went to this roundabout again today and tried it several times. On one occasion when I followed the green line (in my original post), I suddenly had a car who was following the red line catch up with me (because the red line is a shorter distance and he was travelling faster). He then had to brake and honked at me because as far as he was concerned I'd swerved out into his lane - which of course I hadn't, he should have continued going round a gone back the way he came. (as perhaps I should have done on my test).

I got off my bike and watched the roundabout for a while and nearly every car followed the red line. Many followed the red line but then exited the roundabout in the left hand lane which is even worse! A large number also left the roundabout straddling both lanes. I've now done this roundabout several times following all the different coloured lines and I've come to the conclusion that none of them are safe. Even if you follow the blue line round the outside you end up with cars nearly colliding into you as you attempt to exit.

I think if I hit this again on my test I will stick in the right lane and go right round and back the way I came. It appears to be the only safe way to get off this roundabout. :?