Knocking noise from somewhere - chain / front sprocket?

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

Not sure if I can be any more vague :D but I have noticed a noise , normally when freewheeling down drive or manually moving when engine is off but there is a knocking noise come from around the front sprocket area, however, i don't think its the actual front sprocket itself, sounds more like what it feeds in to. The chain sort of clicks and jumps up and down ever so slightly but it does this in time with the click/knocking noise. Difficult to explain. Chain is lubed.

Has it up on centre stand earlier and moving the wheel by hand but It also happens when engine is running just not as noticeable because of the engine noise but obviously still there.

Appreciate any help - thanks.

1st check if the chain runs over the link pipe to rule pipe to rule that out but would deffo try adjustment any way,as for riding it that's your call but if your not sure leave it until you nail the prob

I have FZ6 S2 it did similar with old chain and sprockets by the time I changed them they where well shot.... Check your chain adjustment I have Scotoiler and have to do mine every 1000 miles or so...

If its FZ6 S2 its real easy to access front sprocket to have a look, 3 allan bolts...

1st check if the chain runs over the link pipe to rule pipe to rule that out but would deffo try adjustment any way,as for riding it that's your call but if your not sure leave it until you nail the prob

Ok so first question - what/where is the link pipe?

I have FZ6 S2 it did similar with old chain and sprockets by the time I changed them they where well shot.... Check your chain adjustment I have Scotoiler and have to do mine every 1000 miles or so...

If its FZ6 S2 its real easy to access front sprocket to have a look, 3 allan bolts...

Its a 2004 FZ6, I have checked the front sprocket and looks ok.

Well it looks in better condition than mine when I changed it :oops:

Trying to think if mine still has that click when I roll it back, I really cannot say... Certainly the tone of it did change when the chain was loose.

1633130263_frontc.thumb.jpg.cc13447a18d1756d8100de2c2235b296.jpg

Front Cog

The link pipe is the bit that connects your end can to the engine so if your can is on the right side then it won't be that if can on left side it's a poss,looking at that sprocket I,d change it and clean up all the gunk and shit from around it

The link pipe is the bit that connects your end can to the engine so if your can is on the right side then it won't be that if can on left side it's a poss,looking at that sprocket I,d change it and clean up all the gunk and shit from around it

Ah I see. the exhausts are under seat exhausts.

That pic was a couple of months ago when I had other problems. Its looks a lot cleaner now and all the oily crap has been cleaned.

Just had another listen/look albeit not very well by torchlight but the noise definitely sounds around the inside the front sprocket area.

also there is some play in the chain, how loose should it be. I ran the wheel pulling the chain tight with my finger and the noise didn't change.

you could have a stiff link in the chain

the noise is a continuous clicking though which speeds up the faster I spin the wheel, could that be one stiff link?

Yeah

a stiff link can give a slight click/knock as the wheel turns and cause the chain to jump a little

the best way to check it to get it on a paddock stand or centre stand if it has one and slowly spin the wheel while watching the chain for any links that don't straighten back out as the chain comes around the sprocket

you could have a stiff link in the chain

the noise is a continuous clicking though which speeds up the faster I spin the wheel, could that be one stiff link?

Yeah

a stiff link can give a slight click/knock as the wheel turns and cause the chain to jump a little

the best way to check it to get it on a paddock stand or centre stand if it has one and slowly spin the wheel while watching the chain for any links that don't straighten back out as the chain comes around the sprocket

Ah I can see the chain jump a little, not a lot but it's there. will try that tomorrow after work. am I checking the chain as it comes around the front sprocket?

also how do you fix a stiff link?

That link in the picture is the joining link......It looks like it's been riveted too much, which is stopping it from moving freely......and that'll definitely be what your problem is...... :wink:

The only real answer is to remove that link and see if you can get another one and try fitting it again, but not so tight...... 8-)

you can check it around either the front or the rear

Ideally you need a chain tool to move the pin on the link back and forth although depending on the age and condition of the chain it may need to be replaced