Knocking noise from somewhere - chain / front sprocket?

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

you can check it around either the front or the rear

Ideally you need a chain tool to move the pin on the link back and forth although depending on the age and condition of the chain it may need to be replaced

Probably need to order me a chain tool then. I have no idea how old the chain is though.

Is this just an annoying noise or should I not be riding the bike anymore??...which would be rubbish but obviously if its dangerous then so be it.

It's not ideal, mate.....but I wouldn't say it was especially dangerous. .....but I'd sort it sooner rather than later..... :wink:

You can check the condition of the chain and rear sprocket by seeing how far you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position.....If the chain pulls away more than a couple of mm, then you probably need a new chain and sprocket set...... :wink:

Without wishing to hijack the thread, should you normally replace chain and both sprockets at the same time?

Yes

they wear together and just replacing one can cause the other to wear prematurely

Without wishing to hijack the thread, should you normally replace chain and both sprockets at the same time?

I would replace the chain and sprockets together.....The cost difference between just a chain and a chain and sprocket set is hardly worth just replacing the chain on its own IMHO..... :wink:

It's not ideal, mate.....but I wouldn't say it was especially dangerous. .....but I'd sort it sooner rather than later..... :wink:

You can check the condition of the chain and rear sprocket by seeing how far you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position.....If the chain pulls away more than a couple of mm, then you probably need a new chain and sprocket set...... :wink:

Just tried, hard to move it at all really, certainly not more than a couple of mm

you could have a stiff link in the chain

the noise is a continuous clicking though which speeds up the faster I spin the wheel, could that be one stiff link?

Yeah

a stiff link can give a slight click/knock as the wheel turns and cause the chain to jump a little

the best way to check it to get it on a paddock stand or centre stand if it has one and slowly spin the wheel while watching the chain for any links that don't straighten back out as the chain comes around the sprocket

Just checked all seem fine, the only 'odd' looking one is the master link

As a FZ6 owner if your chain can touch the swingarm underneath I would say its too slack.

Then others would disagree.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=13651.0

Adjusting the chain is easy enough, I would suggest doing that before a ride.

I would try manually straightening the link, if that's possible and rolling wheel round. If noise is reduced you know you are looking in right area.

A little extra lube it might soften the link?

If link is difficult/ impossible to straighten by hand then I would suggest new link and chain tool are more urgent.

The chain only touches at the slackest point.

Any recommendations on a chain tool? seem to be quite a few on ebay but not sure of quality.

Thanks

You need one to push pints out? If it's over riveted it may be quite difficult, you may need to grind the heads off the problem pins before you push it out.

I can't recommend any as the only ones I've used was at my last job and we made our own from left-over parts.

The chain only touches at the slackest point.

Any recommendations on a chain tool? seem to be quite a few on ebay but not sure of quality.

Thanks

I bought this one, could I recommend? It removed the pin with no grinding required, then I broke it riveting the heads. When I rode my bike to a mechanic down the road to finish it off he would not rivit it any more or I could end up with a tight link!

So it did the job & broke (they sent me another as a replacement, without ANY fuss) and saved me time and money in the problem your having... Hard to say if I would recommend :oops: but at that price if you dont mind a wait IF it breaks its hard to knock.

https://www.rydestore.com/ryde-motorcycle-chain-breaker-riveter-repair-kit.html

Actually thinking about replacing the whole set - chain and sprockets. Would it be suitable for a novice to attempt. Looked at some youtube clips tonight and looks do able.

Also looking at this set. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142139359994?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Actually thinking about replacing the whole set - chain and sprockets. Would it be suitable for a novice to attempt. Looked at some youtube clips tonight and looks do able.

Also looking at this set. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142139359994?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I did mine with the help of a friend, its easy enough to do but the front sprocket can get stuck on (on mine anyway). If you use a clip type split link all you need is a grinder to remove the old chain. I think the clip type are perfectly fine, but they are the cheaper option. I used to work for a place making chain and Id never heard of a clip failing.

Novice yes no issues my FZ6 S2 I did easy with this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BYq-dHYCg4

Although I did not bother grinding, the tool just pushed the pin out without any effort. I figured as I had lots of links to try on I could afford to get it wrong once or twice...

Just plan on a full day it should not take that long but you can always go for a ride with the spare time...

Novice yes no issues my FZ6 S2 I did easy with this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BYq-dHYCg4

Although I did not bother grinding, the tool just pushed the pin out without any effort. I figured as I had lots of links to try on I could afford to get it wrong once or twice...

Just plan on a full day it should not take that long but you can always go for a ride with the spare time...

Thanks will check the video later when not at work. I dont have a grinder so will have to rely on the chain tool doing it's job.

i think the 530 size chain is correct for an FZ6, so will need to get that ordered also.

I would have thought it would be a 525 to be honest

ok, I haven't been able to find out for sure

I hadn't looked to be honest but majority of 600's are 525

I have just done a quick search and you are right they are a 530 on yours!

Bit overkill if you ask me but hey ho

I got one of these:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/chain-sprocket-kits/bike/yamaha/2005/fz6-fazer/d-i-d-upgrade-chain-and-sprocket-kit-premium-x-ring-chain-gold-heavy-duty

As I recall..

If you don't have center stand (I dont) you will want paddock stand, lots of degreaser (although yours looks cleaner than mine :/ ) and Swarfega..

If I can do it anyone can...

I dont have a grinder so will have to rely on the chain tool doing it's job.

You don't need a grinder - I've done them before taking off the end of the rivet with a file. It takes a few mins but it works.

Be careful if you try and push it out with the tool without taking the head off, the pins on the tool can bend or snap if you give it too much welly!