Knocking noise from somewhere - chain / front sprocket?

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

What does the thread on the spindle look like? You shouldn't need to do the nut up mega tight as the retaining tab/washer will keep it in place - just do it up so the sprocket is solid and fold the washer thing up.

You should be able to feed the chain through everything as it is. You can use a zip tie to bring the ends of the chain together to make it easier to get the link through (unless you have three hands).

Google is your friend on this i cannot remember the conclusion to tight you break the nut to lose it comes undone.

I think I did about 75nm although I did it by feel more than numbers. As I am unsure about my torque wrench...

I found a rope or webbing over the seat to hold the wheel about the right hight helps putting the back wheel on.

What does the thread on the spindle look like? You shouldn't need to do the nut up mega tight as the retaining tab/washer will keep it in place - just do it up so the sprocket is solid and fold the washer thing up.

You should be able to feed the chain through everything as it is. You can use a zip tie to bring the ends of the chain together to make it easier to get the link through (unless you have three hands).

Well I did wonder because I have the retaining washer, its up to about 70nm at the moment but didn't want to push it further.

Zip tie sounds a good idea.

i have now front and rear sprocket secured however there are some real issues here.

When i blip the throttle in 1st i can see and hear the chain jumping and knocking about. I have loosened and tightened the chain but it still does this even when the chain is very very tight.

I also have a problem getting both sides of the wheel nut to look the same, for example this

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/martash2009/IMG_20161227_161459897.jpg

and this

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/martash2009/IMG_20161227_161515532.jpg

i can't adjust the left side that much to even it out because the chain will be too tight.

Also which way round should the rear sprocket be fixed. i the indented side facing outwards (if that makes):

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/martash2009/IMG_20161227_151244477.jpg

I haven't taken it out on the road yet, not sure if it the chain will settle down after a few miles?

Also how do i post images without using the url tags?? :D

in photobucket look on the right hand side and it gives you the links to use

click on direct and it will copy it

then past it between img tags

I have fixed the above images for you :thumb:

i have now front and rear sprocket secured however there are some real issues here.

When i blip the throttle in 1st i can see and hear the chain jumping and knocking about. I have loosened and tightened the chain but it still does this even when the chain is very very tight.

I also have a problem getting both sides of the wheel nut to look the same, for example this

I haven't taken it out on the road yet, not sure if it the chain will settle down after a few miles?

When I did mine I noticed one side did similar (offside) I took the cap out of the end of my swing arms and found there was 10 years worth of road grime stopping free movement. I just rinsed it our and popped them back in.

I have Pm'd you...

:shock:

The axle spindle wants to be level.

So if the left wont come out because the chain is tight, the right wants to go in to the same level of adjustment. The new chain will be shorter

Which way did you take the old sprocket off?

:shock:

The axle spindle wants to be level.

So if the left wont come out because the chain is tight, the right wants to go in to the same level of adjustment. The new chain will be shorter

Which way did you take the old sprocket off?

I cant remember which way the old sprocket came off :oops:

I wonder is there any way I have ballsed up putting the rear wheel in place? although it looked as though there is only one way it all fits together, probably take it out again and clean the end caps out and clean

A chain will flap a bit with no load on it either from wheel friction or suspension load .

Check the sprockets as some are dished so if you have the sprocket the wrong way round it will throw the alignment way out .

Alignment marks should match for both sides .

Make sure you have the wheel spacers in the correct sides as this will throw alignment out .

Sometimes you will need to make sure the brake caliper/drum torque arm is loose or detached to get a correct tension/alignment and that you may need to adjust rear brake if its a drum brake ( cant remember which bike this is)

As with anything check the basics before progressing to far into fault finding

A chain will flap a bit with no load on it either from wheel friction or suspension load .

Check the sprockets as some are dished so if you have the sprocket the wrong way round it will throw the alignment way out .

Alignment marks should match for both sides .

Make sure you have the wheel spacers in the correct sides as this will throw alignment out .

Sometimes you will need to make sure the brake caliper/drum torque arm is loose or detached to get a correct tension/alignment and that you may need to adjust rear brake if its a drum brake ( cant remember which bike this is)

As with anything check the basics before progressing to far into fault finding

Thanks for this. The wheel was off the ground when the chain was flapping a bit.

It also looks like I have installed the rear sprocket the opposite way to how the old was. doh :oops:

it's a 2004 FZ6