A tale of woe!

learningtofly

Well, Ive just heard back from the RAC, saying cover for the costs of the relay wasn't provided because the damage was the the result of a RTC, and as such should have been sought through my insurers. I've obviously put them right on that and have told them to pay up or face the matter being referred to the small claims court.

I'll update you as and when!

Sorry :scratch:

Was it not captured on camera?

I’d literally just walked out of the dental surgery and was just going to poodle home, so I thought I’d leave the camera off. Shame - it would have been my first interesting upload :D

.... Does the dental office have CCTV? :mrgreen:

Really happy it's all worked out in the end, even if it needed a shit accident to make it happen.

Was it not captured on camera?

I’d literally just walked out of the dental surgery and was just going to poodle home, so I thought I’d leave the camera off. Shame - it would have been my first interesting upload :D

.... Does the dental office have CCTV? :mrgreen:

Really happy it's all worked out in the end, even if it needed a shit accident to make it happen.

Well, fingers crossed with regard to the RAC...

Well, Ive just heard back from the RAC, saying cover for the costs of the relay wasn't provided because the damage was the the result of a RTC, and as such should have been sought through my insurers. I've obviously put them right on that and have told them to pay up or face the matter being referred to the small claims court.

Hm, we had moderately similar once for recovery of my wife following an incident, but that was the insurance company itself.

What's frustrating is you call up, relay details of what has happened and at no point up front do they advise that you wouldn't be covered in the circumstances you have just described.

In our case we went to the financial ombudsman and still lost. I can send more details in a private message if you like.

Hm, we had moderately similar once for recovery of my wife following an incident, but that was the insurance company itself.

What's frustrating is you call up, relay details of what has happened and at no point up front do they advise that you wouldn't be covered in the circumstances you have just described.

In our case we went to the financial ombudsman and still lost. I can send more details in a private message if you like.

Thanks - I'll see how I get on with their response before putting you to the trouble. Fingers crossed!

Okay, an update:

Thank you for your e-mail. The terms and conditions of your membership state that any accidental damage, road traffic collisions or vandalised incidents aren't covered under your breakdown entitlements. These are classed as insurable incidents.

Unfortunately, we can't agree to any refund on this occasion.

:evil:

Okay, an update:

Thank you for your e-mail. The terms and conditions of your membership state that any accidental damage, road traffic collisions or vandalised incidents aren't covered under your breakdown entitlements. These are classed as insurable incidents.

I'd be pretty brassed off with that response. We are with an alternative breakdown organisation who I have never called out in years except the once, when our daughter drove the car a few inches too far onto a muddy grass verge and got stuck. Technically it wasn't covered within our membership but as they said - you've paid your membership for years and never called us out so it's our chance to show a bit of goodwill - and they sent a guy to tow her out, check over the car and get her back on the road.

So they've kept my annual subscription ever since. Perhaps time for you to switch cover?

Okay, an update:

I'd be pretty brassed off with that response. We are with an alternative breakdown organisation who I have never called out in years except the once, when our daughter drove the car a few inches too far onto a muddy grass verge and got stuck. Technically it wasn't covered within our membership but as they said - you've paid your membership for years and never called us out so it's our chance to show a bit of goodwill - and they sent a guy to tow her out, check over the car and get her back on the road.

So they've kept my annual subscription ever since. Perhaps time for you to switch cover?

Yes, I agree with you 100%. They won't receive another premium from me.

The only remedy is to check the T&Cs like a hawk before handing any money over.....AFAIK, RAC and the AA are enthusiastic parties to this little scam.

In fact, I don't know of any recovery companies that will retrieve you after a biff/off - unless it was due to a mechanical failure.

If anybody does know of such a company, let us know.......or there could be a great business opp. here. At any rate, we can still vote with our feet......

The only remedy is to check the T&Cs like a hawk before handing any money over.....AFAIK, RAC and the AA are enthusiastic parties to this little scam.

In fact, I don't know of any recovery companies that will retrieve you after a biff/off - unless it was due to a mechanical failure.

If anybody does know of such a company, let us know.......or there could be a great business opp. here. At any rate, we can still vote with our feet......

I've just downloaded the full policy document and the exclusions are stated in there. I have to admit, I had no idea that the definitions of what constitutes a breakdown were so restrictive.

I've just downloaded the full policy document and the exclusions are stated in there. I have to admit, I had no idea that the definitions of what constitutes a breakdown were so restrictive.

Within AA If you have accident management on policy then recovery can be authorised and the charges are recovered from your insurance .

Unsure how RAC work .

Within AA If you have accident management on policy then recovery can be authorised and the charges are recovered from your insurance .

Unsure how RAC work .

Would that cover riding away with your wheels locked? :scratch:

I'm with Gem .....

ACCIDENT , VANDALISM OR THEFT

We will arrange and pay the cost of taking the vehicle to a local address of your choice up to a maximum of £70.

not that £70 will get you far .

If it was deemed as a non repairable issue regardless of fault and you were going to claim from insurance then yes

actual T&c

Where a roadside repair is not possible, The AA may provide (but not pay for) recovery following an accident. If so, you will be responsible for paying the AA’s charges for this assistance. Where a claim is being made, we can look to recover these charges from your insurer. If you are not at fault for the incident, we reserve the right to reclaim our recovery cost provided under this policy from the insurer of a known third party driver, who was at fault for the incident.

If your not claiming then not covered .

as your not starting was due to the incident it couldn't be used as a breakdown ..

I am with MayDay recovery which is through the caravan club. The recovery team is Green Flag. I have been recovered twice after car accidents. :oops: and never been charged. Not sure if this is part of the caravan club T&C’s or Green Flag.

So we pay £13 a month for our Nationwide packaged joint account, and as well as 3% interest, worldwide family travel insurance and worldwide family mobile cover, we also get UK & European Breakdown and Recovery Assistance. Unlimited callouts and no need to register the vehicle and it doesn't have to be owned by you, you just need to be in it/on it when you need the cover. Motorbikes are covered too (we know for sure, [mention]Magpie84[/mention] has used it twice). Home callouts included. Onward transport, hire car for two days, overnight accommodation if required etc etc

Their definition of a breakdown is (emphasis mine):

the vehicle is incapable of operation as a whole because of mechanical or electrical failure, theft or attempted theft, vandalism, accidental damage, a flat tyre, a lack of fuel or incorrect fuelling during the period of cover. Failure of any parts of the vehicle to function e.g. an indicator, headlight, windscreen wiper or convertible roof does not constitute a breakdown unless the failure causes the vehicle to be incapable of operating as a whole or is likely to result in the driver being prosecuted for using a defective vehicle. The cover cannot be used as an alternative to regular servicing or maintenance or as a way to avoid paying for repairs

That seems much better value than the £13.50 a month for one car I've just looked up on the AA website, even before you take into account the other benefits. RAC comparable cover seems to be £17.50 a month.

That sounds pretty comprehensive, and seems to provide cover for all the stated exclusions in the RAC t’s and c’s. What organisation provides the service, [mention]SometimesSansEngine[/mention]?

Well, that's interesting... I just checked the benefits I get with my NatWest account, and it has full breakdown cover included (provided through Green Flag). Like the Nationwide package described above, it specifically INCLUDES recovery following accidents, vandalism, accidental damage etc.

I think I feel even more stupid now, as I had no idea that I had this cover and I would have been relayed at no cost had I used it.

That sounds pretty comprehensive, and seems to provide cover for all the stated exclusions in the RAC t’s and c’s. What organisation provides the service, @SometimesSansEngine?

Britannia (now LV I believe). They contract out to local firms I believe, but never had an issue with this model including when my car cover was with Autonational Rescue. And it's what AA and RAC do when they're busy anyway.