Hi newbie here

Desmond.22

Dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised if its harder to get hold of any secondhand Japanese 125 now than it was a couple of years back. Covid has interrupted supply chains of new bikes, meaning greater demand for secondhand ones. 

46 minutes ago, bonio said:

Dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised if its harder to get hold of any secondhand Japanese 125 now than it was a couple of years back. Covid has interrupted supply chains of new bikes, meaning greater demand for secondhand ones. 

I see more options if you buy from a private seller. But if you're a newbie to Motorcycling and see a bike you like but don't want to be conned and waste your money, what are you meant to do? Bring someone with you who knows their stuff about bikes? Other concerns I would have buying from a private seller are making sure that MOT and warranty are legit. 

Take this advertisement for example...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125090501528?hash=item1d1ff99398:g:cUIAAOSw4tJhp4-x

What stood out is the detailed list of new parts added (poor marks for spelling though). From the pictures the bike does look in good condition (obviously you would give it really good thorough check in person). The price also seems fair (unless guys who know their stuff think otherwise). The seller has stated that the buyer would need to arrange an MOT. Is this a cause for concern? Would you rather buy a bike that has recently had an MOT? Would the seller have to provide paperwork on the bike's history? How would a newbie buyer know that the bike is legally fit to ride on the road? 

18 minutes ago, JayMutt said:

Take this advertisement for example...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125090501528?hash=item1d1ff99398:g:cUIAAOSw4tJhp4-x

What stood out is the detailed list of new parts added (poor marks for spelling though). From the pictures the bike does look in good condition (obviously you would give it really good thorough check in person). The price also seems fair (unless guys who know their stuff think otherwise). The seller has stated that the buyer would need to arrange an MOT. Is this a cause for concern? Would you rather buy a bike that has recently had an MOT? Would the seller have to provide paperwork on the bike's history? How would a newbie buyer know that the bike is legally fit to ride on the road? 

Yup would put me off too 😁 

I took a mate who lives bikes. 

What would put me off is that the bike looks as if it's been tarted up to sell on ebay. I'd be nervous that there could be a load of problems under all that cafe racer styling.

Hi @JayMutt, If he's spent that amount of money with new bit's, why doesn't he get it MOT'd!!!

I like the fact he reckons it runs fine!! Yet there's no Mot, and only 1.1 kilometers on clock!!!!

No Chainguard! Wrong Numberplate! Not only to small, but needs to be a yellow reflective one.

And the bolts holding the handlebars on top yoke look wrong, especially top left!!

Tyres look to be very shiny! so probably very old and knackered.

Walk away!!!

7 hours ago, JayMutt said:

You want something that hasn't been messed about with. Get a bike that is as original as possible. 

A list of new parts doesn't mean they are good parts. Bikes done up to sell are usually thrown together with the cheapest tat buyable from China.

54 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

YBR 125? ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294529564544?hash=item4493547f80:g:1jsAAOSwulZheEbo

Just noticed it was a Cat C so may need to ask a few more questions.

This would be within my price range for when I look towards getting my first bike. Auto trader definitely has more options though. 

You can often pick up bargain with bikes that have been through an insurance claim. Obviously check what the damage was, but a lot of bikes get written off for very minor issues. They are easy to repair, cheap to buy, you just have to accept you'll get less back on it if you trade or sell it.

If you keep it then it's a great way to buy a bike. I've sold bikes with a marker on them and you don't lose anything more on them than a normal deal so long as you buy them cheap to begin with.

On 12/01/2022 at 23:31, JayMutt said:

Are the CG125's hard to come by? Been on Auto Trader (just to have a look) and only seen six available across the country. 

Join the CG 125 Facebook page .There are some decent bikes on there from time to time and some are at reasonable prices . For example

Screenshot_20220114-105211.png

Edited by fastbob