What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Fitted a centre stand but I'm really struggling to get one of the springs(inner) on as it seems much shorter than the outer spring!

Is that outer spring supposed to be the inner spring?

No insult intended, but just a thought....

Edited by Simon Davey

39 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

39 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

I'm not sure how I could get a large diameter spring inside a spring with a smaller diameter! ;)

They look like these but the inner spring I have is about 5/10mm shorter than the outer.

Main Centre Stand Springs 91mm for Direct Bikes Sports 50 DB50QT-11 17-20 - Picture 1 of 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KiwiBob said:

I'm not sure how I could get a large diameter spring inside a spring with a smaller diameter! ;)

They look like these but the inner spring I have is about 5/10mm shorter than the outer.

Main Centre Stand Springs 91mm for Direct Bikes Sports 50 DB50QT-11 17-20 - Picture 1 of 1

Lol. 

I thought you meant inner spring was inside /underneath the stand , and the outer was outside/to the side? 

Stronger spring to assist pulling the bike up, and the other spring to keep the stand retracted under the bike when not in use? 

I don't understand why you would have one spring inside the other. 

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Thanks 1

Nothing to the bike… but I made a slight upgrade to my newly rented council garage - needs 8 more of these sheets but I think it looks good.

anyone has any other tips besides more security? This place is pretty filled with insects and spider webs.

IMG_3137.jpeg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, peepae said:

Nothing to the bike… but I made a slight upgrade to my newly rented council garage - needs 8 more of these sheets but I think it looks good.

anyone has any other tips besides more security? This place is pretty filled with insects and spider webs.

IMG_3137.jpeg

I does look good, and more comfortable to kneel on than concrete. 

• Like 2

Service  done at BMW dealer - they did a further check

- Front brake pads need replacing 

- Headraces very notchy so also need replacing

Will go to the local for that as they are wanting to charge me 192 to replace front brake pads and 300 for the headraces.

• Sad 3

Last night. Nothing. I was intending to do quite a lot. As the bikes stood for 3 months. Check tyre pressures. Start the engine, fully warmed up. Pre MOT checks and so on. Instead I made the mistake of having a nap (after a difficult night shift) and next thing I knew it’s 02:30am.

Oh well.. never mind.

And of course it’s tipping it down with rain today - all day. So all I’m going to do is check the tyre pressures before attempting to set off for the MOT and trust to luck.

• Like 4

Hope the MOT goes well Gerontious, you do a job few of us could cope with, well done and enjoy getting back into riding again, you deserve some me time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peepae said:

Will go to the local for that as they are wanting to charge me 192 to replace front brake pads and 300 for the headraces.

Jeeeeeezus, that's disgusting, so much for me thinking you took it to the right place. 

Pads take 5 minutes to replace, but admittedly, headrace bearings are a bit of a job.

When you take it to the local, don't ask him to do it, but ask him for his opinion.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Simon Davey said:

Jeeeeeezus, that's disgusting, so much for me thinking you took it to the right place. 

Pads take 5 minutes to replace, but admittedly, headrace bearings are a bit of a job.

When you take it to the local, don't ask him to do it, but ask him for his opinion.

That’s what I was thinking lol, I just posted a thread with the actual notchiness and it does look pretty bad

look at this for the rear ones too: 

IMG_3154.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Bike started immediately. Tyre pressures are fine. And made it here with barely a wobbleIMG_1897.thumb.jpeg.c85960d7f95fbe98b3e5cfb363192dd7.jpeg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

agree with SD.

sometimes they dont actually need replacing, just releasing(loosen) the tension on them and other ones then reset and tightening up again.

• Like 1

There is an ancient Eskimo proverb, written on whatever it is they write on up there “Man with big feet have feet touching peddle get warped disc”

Those eskimos know a thing or two.

Mot passed. 1 advisory. Slight warp. So… need to move the peddle downward. As and when it’s not so wet. And it’s very wet. So wet it’s beyond moist.

im actually happy about this. I was fearful of something nasty lurking ready to pounce and ruin my day. A big bill is not what I need right now.

So. Insurance - check. MOT - check

And in the nick of time too. Only 102 days till the Eifel. Not that I’m counting, though as everyone knows that equals 14 weeks and 4 days precisely. (Obviously)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ill assume its the front your referring to?

first level of warping is more likely from the buttons and the connection faces due to crap/corrosion disc built up. later levels are poor brake maintenance, poor service, button failure....

not from toprak levels of antics, though wearing will be.😄

Brake cleaner, toothbrush, fine pick, air line if possible.

Need to get mine booked in for mot! Runs out next month! 

Just to make @Throttled feel bad I will be looking at about 6k between mots 😂

• Like 2

20 hours ago, peepae said:

That's mad. 

The head bearings need some dismantling to get at them but the front pads are a 10 minute job. 

Just looked at your video....they need doing but when you get the races out you'll find the pitting will be tiny. I'll bet you haven't even noticed when riding the bike, it only looks so bad because the front wheel is floating free. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Found the dreaded V100 coolant leak so took it in to local dealer who has promised to get it sorted by tomorrow evening. Need it for Saturday so here's hoping. Guzzi forums are full of this issue so not a surprise but as I'd made it to 3000 miles I thought I'd dodged the bullet. Hey ho.....

• Sad 5

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Need to get mine booked in for mot! Runs out next month! 

Just to make @Throttled feel bad I will be looking at about 6k between mots 😂

I am surprised it is under 2k. That distance included trips to the Isle of Lewis, Isle of Man, Dingwall, numerous challenge tags and use most weeks of the year.