What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

On 30/03/2024 at 16:04, Mawsley said:

IMG_5706.jpeg

IMG_5709.jpeg

I would definitely be cross about that. In fact I would be so cross that I might be tempted to change my name by deed poll to Mr Cross.  And then post the pictures on Facebook and marvel at the REALLY BAD advice to take out the offending screw and forget about it which (as it happens) is contrary to everything every tyre manufacturer has to say about how to deal with side wall damage. That made me really quite cross too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MOT for the CBF. It passed, and then as we were waiting for the machine to run its time the radiator burst. 

Ho hum....better here than somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I shall limp home and look to order a replacement.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Nick the wanderer said:

One of the things that I keep noticing on this forum is Honda motorcycles really suffer badly from rust.

It 18 years old and the fan housing is getting the full blast of salt and grit all winter so to be fair I'm quite impressed everything came apart. 

The rest of the bike is virtually rust free. A bit of surface rust on the swing arm but nothing serious. 

A bit of rubbing down and a coat of rust treatment and the fan housing is structurally solid. That's pretty good for thin metal in a harsh environment. 

20240405_112101.jpg

• Like 1

I suspect another way of looking at it is Hondas tend to keep going longer and are therefore prone to age related corrosion.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 3

Booked a 6-dayer into France/Belgium/Germany/Luxembourg/Switzerland.

Have to do a factory visit in Strasbourg so thought i'd ,ake a trip out of it on the M1000R. My arse is aching just thinking about sitting on that seat for prolonged periods. Any cushion recommendations? Bought some memory foam and a cheap air cushion from amazon.

• Like 6

We have Cool Covers - basically like the cheap Amazon ones, but fitted to the seat. They are good - you get the advantage of a bit of extra airflow in hot weather, a bit of extra drainage in wet weather and a bit of extra springyness in the seat.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

One of the things that I keep noticing on this forum is Honda motorcycles really suffer badly from rust.

my bike will be six years old in November and has spent its entire time from new living outside under a cover, which a recently augmented with a tarpaulin as the cover has begun to leak. It’s survived this remarkably well, with some discolouration only on a few of the fasteners. No rust that I can see. I’ve not used any preventative treatment on it. Tend to wash it and just allow it to dry naturally. The only rust I’ve seen thus far is on added parts. Most notably the exhaust hanger which came with them scorpion can. I don’t tend to ride it when the roads are being salted and usually wait for the inevitable rain to wash it away. The worst Honda I’ve ever seen for rust was a Brazilian bike. It was called a CB450DX this was back in the 90s and I was given that piece of crao as a courtesy bike. I felt insulted to have to ride such a wreck. Can’t say I’ve seen many more modern Hondas with corrosion problems. It’s usually the fasteners that people complain about. Or the chain which has suffered from neglect.

1 minute ago, Joe85 said:

I’ve had a moment of madness and bought a £300 seat from Wunderlich. 😬

WTF? Is it a sofa 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mickly said:

WTF? Is it a sofa 🤣

I’m expecting a pair of hand to massage my arse cheeks for this price.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

£300 isn’t bad for an aftermarket seat. My own, which is a Sargent would cost me £420 today. Got mine second hand just before brexit kicked in for £250 second hand from a guy in Finland. The high price is mostly related to the seat pan, each bike has a unique base so it costs. A wunderlich will have been made in Germany. I think they use Kahedo to manufacture them and I think it’s pretty certain they don’t pay their staff minimum wage, it’s all relative.

Kahedo make seats for German made BMWs as well as those sold by Touratech. And a few others. Good stuff. With some actual care going into the design of their non oem seats.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

Yesterday washed all fairing parts for the pan.

Next remove all rust and paint some proper primer.

Not convinced about rust converter and read mixed views on the web.

Today had a wee trip around the council.

Ansthruder, At Andrews and then back home.

Just in time to avoid the strong winds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, husoi said:

Yesterday washed all fairing parts for the pan.

Next remove all rust and paint some proper primer.

Not convinced about rust converter and read mixed views on the web.

Today had a wee trip around the council.

Ansthruder, At Andrews and then back home.

Just in time to avoid the strong winds.

I used to restore rusty old cars and there's no rust converter that stops rust completely. I used a variety of treatments that slowed it down but once it's in the metal you won't kill it dead. 

The most important thing is to remove as much corrosion as possible and get back to clean metal. Then use a really good primer. Then a really good finishing coat. That makes more difference than any rust converter. 

Rustoleum stuff is pretty good. My favourite anti rust primer is Bonda, it says it has a high zinc content. I've used it on very rusty bodyshells and it lasts longer than anything else I've found. 

Forget Hammerite paints. Useless over metal with any trace of corrosion. 

Ronseal NoRust is actually a very good top coat for previously rusty metal. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The replacement spacers have arrived from TEC....with rather a lot of stickers!

20240408_094215.jpg

That was quick with the spacers, hope they do the trick. 

Most of those decals aren't particularly subtle 

Finally got to refit the squeaky clean carbs on the VFR.  Filled the float bowls with Aspen Alkylate fuel to check for leaks, then ran it through the fuel pump and pipework till it started running out of the end of the pipe that fits to the carb fuel inlet.

With trepidation, I pressed the button.

It fired straight up on all four cylinders and settled straight down to idle..  

All that work because of crap modern fuel.

Even better, listening to the carbs telling me their tale, it seems like my bench synchronisation has worked great.  No need to put the vacuum gauges on to check.  They are very even.

Glad about that.  VFR carbs are an absolute PITA to balance.

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 5

Not today, but over the weekend I had the chance to take an MT10 out for an extended test ride, so used that to go down and test ride a 765RS. Thought it would be naughty if I didnt take advantage. The 10 was a lot more forgiving that I expected from such a heavy weight, the 765 was a much better ride than my previous demo 765. Suspension was much more as expected, as in on the harder side. If the weather is good again this Saturday, I'm looking to take an Aprilia R660 and Tuono 660 Facotry out, after that the last on my 'test ride' list is the MT09SP.

image.thumb.jpeg.5fdd8a9e50ee8072e02aa94b14da71be.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b61ab703588b03b02d0511ffb1950d1f.jpeg

• Like 5

On 07/04/2024 at 16:42, Joe85 said:

I’ve had a moment of madness and bought a £300 seat from Wunderlich. 😬

So I received the seat… and it is rock effing hard. It’s certainly thicker than the stock seat but it might as well be a length of 4x2. Absolutely solid slab of a seat.

“Comfort” my arse. I think I’d have more comfort sitting on the tank.

2AF66E43-D3C5-46CF-84EA-1883AE4757E0.jpeg

Edited by Joe85
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 4