What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Finished the service, final drive oil replaced today, 180 ml as per spec. Bled the ABS system with the Motoscan app and OBD connector. Reset the service reminder with Motoscan. Was much easier than I anticipated. Tyre change booked in for a new set of PR6s.

Then this in 4 weeks...

Uomz2GV.png

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, rob m said:

Finished the service, final drive oil replaced today, 180 ml as per spec. Bled the ABS system with the Motoscan app and OBD connector. Reset the service reminder with Motoscan. Was much easier than I anticipated. Tyre change booked in for a new set of PR6s.

Then this in 4 weeks...

Uomz2GV.png

Aw hell yeah. Jealous! 

• Like 1

Have a great time Rob! I've always fancied a trip to Spain on the bike? You riding across France or taking the ferry to Spain?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonio said:

Have a great time Rob! I've always fancied a trip to Spain on the bike? You riding across France or taking the ferry to Spain?

Thanks mate, I have a ferry booked from Plymouth and also have a eurotunnel crossing in hand. Gonna keep an eye on the weather from the week before onwards and decide then. I’ll just move the ferry crossing to another time if I don’t use it. Either way, I want to be in Barcelona by the 25th May for the MotoGP. Should be fun 😀

• Like 5

Haven't fitted it yet but I have bought a Mistral Tria polished stainless end can and a cat cover. Supposedly good for an additional 3 hp which means absolutely jack. Got it more for the simple fact it looks so much better.

• Like 5

On 19/04/2024 at 19:05, Pie man said:

I hope the detergent they use doesn't react with the Ali 😕 

cheap ones will do as theyll use salt and or acid based products. not much or a problem for the car nor car owners to give a shite about but bikes.....

• Like 1

I took it to Cadwell on Tuesday. Had a bit of a mare getting it ready because it needed buttoning back up after checking the valve clearances.

I changed the oil. Changed the plugs. Changed the coolant - I had changed all the hoses, there was a smidge of a leak in the middle of the V.

crustybits01.thumb.jpg.97da0f623af2347a7d1ada1629ef444b.jpg

The hoses needed cutting down to size though which was annoying. Maybe I should've got real Samco hoses for thrice the price. But what a lovely shade they are.

crustybits02.thumb.jpg.51c9f44a817b233f645d912ab02f1fb1.jpg

After that it still leaked, this time from the union into the cylinder. With the time I had all I could do was take it out, clean it up as much as possible and cosset the o ring, for which I did not have a spare. It turns out it's a funny size, 3.2mm cross section, 17.8mm ID - googling that returns only a few results, all pointing to the special Suzuki part. I got lucky and it didn't leak.

Next I thought I'd treat the genny cover to a proper gasket since it was weeping despite the gobs of silicone lathered on. Nice little job, oh but wait it's missing a dowel pin. Ahhh having half an engine that the previous owner probably just wanted disposing of came in handy there.

toomuchgoo.thumb.jpg.da7037e37550caac3e1f01f187d67ac1.jpg

You've probably seen worse, but there seemed to be quite a lot of goo inside and outside.

Then I tidied up the wiring, new plug covers which weren't mullered and falling to bits, stuff like that. Oh, securing the tilt sensor properly to the bike - no longer just dangling about. I didn't even realise what it was to start with but when I did it became clear it wasn't a good idea to have it flapping about.

Then allsorts of other faffy bits. Faff faff faff. Work work work. Align chain. Hmm test taughtiness without the shock in. I can't exactly go by the book since it has no side stand and the gearing is definitely not standard, and it's only two easily accessible bolts to whip it out. Ahh shit oil all over the shock. Well that was a panic which made me get the slightly broken daytona out to change the tyres and maybe consider taking that instead; I couldn't not go to the ball - it's paid for! Fix the bent rearset bolt. Bah. Attach a new clip on. Check the SV shock again... no more oil appearing after being cleaned up. God knows where the oil came originally from but it wasn't coming back and felt "alright". OK SV it is then, but at least the Daytona saw a brief glimpse of hope.

nice01.thumb.jpg.a478940ffe0ed4db189e624b601eb421.jpg

What a machine. It's going to cost me in knee sliders this thing.

Since it was with no limits you can collar an instructor for free, so I did. Apparently he enjoyed following me round and bumped me up to Advanced group, which was nice. Also gave me a map with lots of red writing on it indicating (lots of) room for improvement. He did say I gapped him coming out of Charlies 2 though and he was on a faster bike, "which is embarrassing". Oh I'll take that. 

fastbikechips.jpg.637ffb0b456c3e393053aad05c945756.jpg

Since I had too many chips - very dangerous drug are chips - I couldn't stomach going out 20 mins earlier than otherwise allocated for inters, so I chickened out of the swap. Ended up having some nice "battles" with various types of bikes anyway so it was a very good laugh - you get to feel like a racer even though you definitely are not, but that doesn't matter at the time. It's generally all in good fun. In the background you can see some mid range naked bikes being snapped during dinner for I think Fast Bikes. Brand new KTM Duke and I dunno, some other bikes I suppose.

The SV has rewarded my efforts by dripping fluid out of the water pump weep vent, which apparently means it needs a few seals and the (other) side casing to come off. Ah well, fair enough little SV, I'll sort you out.

• Like 7

Wandered out to the shed last weekend with a view to re commisioning the VFR ready for taxing it for may.  I was going to balance and set up the carbs.

Of course, it has been sat a few weeks with the Aspen fuel in, so with a little trepidation, I pressed the starter.  Nothing.  Wut?

And then I noticed the dashboard looked a bit dark.  A solitary oil pressure light lit.  Press gearlever  up and down to find neutral.  Still nothing.

Checked connection to neutral switch.  Nothing.

New neutral switch ordered.  Very odd.  It was fine last time I had the ignition on.

Filled the tank with two gallons of fresh fuel, pulled clutch in due to no neutral signal and away she fired immediately. 

Switch arrived yesterday and went to fit it.  Out with the old and a bit of a gusher of oil which was unexpected, but ready for.  In with the new and a look at the oil that gushed out.  It was very thin and stank of fuel.  Merde!

Off with the fairings yet again to loosen the exhaust, so I can get the drain plug out.  Stupid design, exhaust right under the drain plug.  Oil changed, filter drained and time to spin it over. Whir dunk.  Double merde.  I know what that is.  It is a hydraulic lock.

Tank and seat off and easily accessible rear plugs removed.  Press the button. Dunk.  Of course, it had to be one of the soddin front cylinders.

Radiator moved out of the way and I could remove the front plugs.  Left front was the culprit.  

So fuel expelled from the cylinder, plug dried and refitted and off she went.  Time to get the gauges out and set up the carbs.  It was now 1pm.  Started the job at 11am and expected to be done for noon, so I was running a little late and in a fine mood... Not.  Soddin motorbikes.

Got the gauges connected, bike fired up and it started pissing it down before I even got it warmed up.

Just feckin great.

Pushed bike into shed, locked it in and stomped away.

Good job that neutral switch failed when it did and it was hydro locked.  If it had started normally and the switch was ok, I would not have known about the contaminated oil and likely fried the big end shells.

Turns out the float valve on three was slowly leaking fuel and with the carbs being downdraught types and tilted at 45 degrees, they do not have overflows.  Fuel had one place to go. Straight into the cylinder, past the rings and into the sump.  Appeared to be about 1 and a bit litres of fuel in the oil.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ah to have the luxuries of a shed to be sorting it out in. Wun I wer a lad I 'ad to do it int campsite carpark fifteen hundred miles from 'om'. Same problem though, front right cylinder filling up wi' repsol's finest.

1 hour ago, smallfrowne said:

Ah to have the luxuries of a shed to be sorting it out in. Wun I wer a lad I 'ad to do it int campsite carpark fifteen hundred miles from 'om'. Same problem though, front right cylinder filling up wi' repsol's finest.

Yes.  I never heard of it before, but apparently it is a depressingly common thing on carbed VFRs according to the internet.  Never gave the lack of overflow tubes a second thought before.

I am going to remove the carbs and change all the float valve needles.  At 27 years old, they have had their alloted lifespan. 

Edited by Tinkicker

2 minutes ago, Tinkicker said:

Yes.  I never heard of it before, but apparently it is a depressingly common thing on carbed VFRs according to the internet.  Never gave the lack of overflow tubes a second thought before.

I am going to remove the carbs and change all the float valve needles.  At 27 years old, they have had their alloted lifespan. 

Sometime after that incident I put a set of '97 carbs on my '91 and had to promptly change the o rings on the plastic fuel pipes into the carbs, something to think about if you're going in there anyway. The carb I bought might've been sat for years though, totally unknown, but the o rings where gash and it pissed fuel out at all angles. 

36 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

I thought i'd be clever and buy a Biker Tidy to organise all of my gear. Well, it's mahooossive. And i can't find anywhere for it to fit. 

🥲

I stuff it all under the sofa.