Custom lid painting.

Don't see why rifle stocks would be a problem. After all we've had pictures of dogs, cats, horses, Chinese motorbikes, push bikes, boats, all kinds of tools, garden sheds, knives and God knows what else besides.

I think i have posted photos of my collection of CO2 pistols and rifles before :lol: :thumb:

Don't see why rifle stocks would be a problem. After all we've had pictures of dogs, cats, horses, Chinese motorbikes, push bikes, boats, all kinds of tools, garden sheds, knives and God knows what else besides.

I think i have posted photos of my collection of CO2 pistols and rifles before :lol: :thumb:

yeah everyone has got to have a hobby :thumb:

yeah everyone has got to have a hobby :thumb:

Isn't that what Ted bundy said to the judge?

Most important!!

Don't forget some pics before and after you have done it :thumb:

Will do. So long as I can still get my paint delivered :roll:

I envisage starting with a lovely shiny perfectly serviceable helmet and finishing with a blobby mess that I’d rather disassociate myself from. If you don’t see any pics you’ll know what happened :lol:

• 2 months later...
On 01/11/2020 at 21:28, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Superglue some new ones on? :lol:

i threw the lid in the bin yesterday just before the bin men arrived, just before christmas i dug it out of the shed and noticed all the lining was all crumbling to dust and the sticker on the rear of the helmet said 1985 so thats the end of that one 🥾

1 minute ago, skyrider said:

i threw the lid in the bin yesterday just before the bin men arrived, just before christmas i dug it out of the shed and noticed all the lining was all crumbling to dust and the sticker on the rear of the helmet said 1985 so thats the end of that one 🥾

It was past it’s use by date then? 😂

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It was past it’s use by date then? 😂

absolutely so didn't try to ressurect it and just waved it goodbye 

Edited by skyrider

• 1 month later...

I’ve read the minimum temperature you should spray rattle cans at is 10 degrees but the warmer the better (up to 30 *) if you want to avoid orange peel and get a smooth finish. Does anyone have any experience of spraying cans at lower temperatures? It supposedly not raining and 12 degrees next week, is this warm enough?

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’ve read the minimum temperature you should spray rattle cans at is 10 degrees but the warmer the better (up to 30 *) if you want to avoid orange peel and get a smooth finish. Does anyone have any experience of spraying cans at lower temperatures? It supposedly not raining and 12 degrees next week, is this warm enough?

Can you plug a heater and make the place where you're spraying warmer?

You want around 20 - 25C ideally and low humidity level.

IR radiators or gas heaters are good for removing moisture from air while heating a small area.

I'm in Scotland so cold 350 days / yr. When I sprayed the bike's fairings I had the fan heater on all the time, around 2hr before start and 1hr after so the paint starts to cure in warm low moisture environment.

• Thanks 1

I had planned I’d be outside for the ventilation and do it the day after it’s been raining to keep contaminants down. Perhaps I should wait for the summer but then again there’s more insects about. 

Sounds like I might have to polythene sheet a room and do it inside but it seems an awful lot of hassle. @dynax what do you use when sheeting a room for your dead bodies? 😂🤣😂🤣

• Haha 2

If you have space in your garden get a polytunnel, they're great for all sorts of uses, Mine was used as a garage for the bikes, also a workshop for my woodworking. Mines been up for 2 years but you can take them down when not in use, alternative is something like a popup gazebo but for quality you are looking at a cost.

polytunnel sub£100

41VuxVcHsoL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

popup gazebo for decent one £200 plus

6051-1010BK-2.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I have a pop up gazebo with sides but do you think it’s possible to warm them up with a heater when the air temperature is significantly lower outside?

Short answer is no.

You will need a mega heater to compensate the heat loss, there will be too many gaps where the air will escape and the thickness of the cover will be minute

You could have a great improvement if you apply another layer of plastic membrane over the cover. gazebo.

Edited by husoi

A small poly tunnel inside another larger poly tunnel or gazebo might do but these things need to be large enough to walk around the helmet spraying so the cost and time to erect all this stuff seems a bit ridiculous. I do have 6 king size duvets I used to cover the bikes with before the garage was made good but if I used them on a poly tunnel I’d cut out all natural light.
I seem to be going round in circles.

Yeah you will need a large polytunnel and a larger gazebo 🙄

Last thing you want is to be bumping into stuff because you don't have space.

There are some air pumps, like the ones you have for bouncy castles, but with heating facility, that will keep dust out and they are quite powerful

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I think I’ll either wait until it warms up or plastic sheet a room indoors. 

Couldn’t you sheet off a section of the garage? You can buy cheap plastic dust sheets 

I’m looking to do something similar to paint the Trophy engine before re-assembly 

Edited by Mickly

1 hour ago, Mickly said:

Couldn’t you sheet off a section of the garage? You can buy cheap plastic dust sheets 

I’m looking to do something similar to paint the Trophy engine before re-assembly 

I could but the garage is one of the only rooms thats not super scruffy 😂

I have a largish room full of junk I never use, tidy up should suffice and I have a very large roll of clear polythene left over from painting the kitchen plus for no reason I can fathom it’s boiling hot in there 👍

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey