Custom lid painting.

Don't know if this is much help: The older guy who runs the Helmet City store in Cheddar is getting a lid done for his wife. If you're passing that way, it may be worth dropping him and asking him.

Thanks @bonio I’ll ask him about it. If it’s the slim, polite, quietly spoken guy he’s pretty sensible :thumb:

That sounds like the one. He rides an S1000XR, so 50% wild, 50% sensible.

Custom lid painting.

Tentatively thinking of giving it a go.

Anyone tried it or had any experience of it?

Yes I know all the danger warnings about sanding, paint choices and compromising the safety of your lid. I’d like to know about the practicalities.

As in doing it yourself or finding someone to do it?

Most modern lids are made from plastic as opposed to the older ones that were fibreglass, using modern acrylic enamel paints and primers won't have any detremental effect on the helmet, just make sure anything used is NOT solvent based and you should be good :thumb:

Keep in mind that some lids have a couple coats of clear varnish. You need to remove it before doing and styling.

Main rule in spraying anything:

Spend 100 hrs in preparation and save 150 hrs in trying to fix it :)

Another thing to bear in mind is to leave the certification sticker alone, do not remove it, you can cover it with tape when you paint over it, but it must remain intact otherwise it will render the helmet not fit to be used on a public highway :thumb:

Another thing to bear in mind is to leave the certification sticker alone, do not remove it, you can cover it with tape when you paint over it, but it must remain intact otherwise it will render the helmet not fit to be used on a public highway :thumb:

Or. If is a plastic one you can VERY GENTLY (I know, a biker doesn't do gentle :P ) use a hairdryer to heat up the glue and remove it. then use a double sided tape to put it back.

But as Dinax says, better leave it alone :thumb:

Thanks [mention]dynax[/mention] n [mention]husoi[/mention] I’ll have a look at those paints. Yep I get the prep things 75% of the effort, I got a gloss helmet so I’ll be able to see when I’ve removed enough of the surface without going too far in.

I’m thinking about taking off the sticker though 😬

It would be a risk if you’re stopped by someone not au fair with the law but they just have to state they’re compliant and they usually put it in the label inside the helmet now, they have in the one I wanna paint so....

Instead of removing the sticker you can mask it with tape and remove the tape before the clear coats. It will protect it and make a smooth surface

Instead of removing the sticker you can mask it with tape and remove the tape before the clear coats. It will protect it and make a smooth surface

That was my first choice but then I thought I’d prefer no stickers. Easy and a cleaner look.

Mind you thats assuming I can achieve a clean look, pretty unlikely on a first stab! :lol:

Best way to practice is to get a plastic container and spray it, you can do it as many times as you need to feel comfortable that you will be doing a good job.

It doesn't really matter the type of container as long is plastic. You then can experiment with filler, primer (the one for plastic) and spray your templates.

Like that you won't be messing with the helmet.

The paint supplier will be very happy to see you taking a gallon of paint :lol:

Best way to practice is to get a plastic container and spray it, you can do it as many times as you need to feel comfortable that you will be doing a good job.

It doesn't really matter the type of container as long is plastic. You then can experiment with filler, primer (the one for plastic) and spray your templates.

Like that you won't be messing with the helmet.

The paint supplier will be very happy to see you taking a gallon of paint :lol:

Great advice thanks. I’d thought a quick practice would be wise but didn’t think of doing it on a plastic container to try out the primers.

Just a thought but have you considered hydro dipping it instead?

Yeh I have. Watched quite a few YouTube tutorials on it.

Decided to leave that for another day cos I know I’d likely be unhappy with the first dip n find myself scrapping wet paint off a lid!

Have you tried it?

Just a thought but have you considered hydro dipping it instead?

Yeh I have. Watched quite a few YouTube tutorials on it.

Decided to leave that for another day cos I know I’d likely be unhappy with the first dip n find myself scrapping wet paint off a lid!

Have you tried it?

Not on anything motorcycle related but I have done it for rifle stocks and after a few practice attempts and watching videos on youtube it's actually not that difficult. Admittedly these were just single matt colours which meant it didn't really matter on angles/ placement etc but once you have "the dip motion" sorted it is pretty quick and easy.

I picked up a cheap plasterers bath to do it in as didn't have the confidence to do it in my bathtub. They held up pretty well for a few years being knocked about and out in all weathers.

[mention]geofferz[/mention] thats great thanks. Not quite moving into airbrush territory yet cos with a few exceptions I have a history of taking up a hobby doing it until reasonably proficient and then going “bored of that now.. NEXT”

Don’t want to waste money on tools. Although I do like wasting money on tools :D

[mention]Cpt_Tact[/mention] Any pics?

I wouldn't worry too much about that . 😉

Screenshot_20201029-145358.thumb.png.cbe774e02bf312ff3bb0f59e002ef00e.png

@geofferz thats great thanks. Not quite moving into airbrush territory yet cos with a few exceptions I have a history of taking up a hobby doing it until reasonably proficient and then going “bored of that now.. NEXT”

Don’t want to waste money on tools. Although I do like wasting money on tools :D

@Cpt_Tact Any pics?

Unfortunately not on close-ups and I am now back with wooden stocks so couldn't grab a fresh one, I don't think the admin would appreciate rifle photos on a motorcycle forum. :D

Don't see why rifle stocks would be a problem. After all we've had pictures of dogs, cats, horses, Chinese motorbikes, push bikes, boats, all kinds of tools, garden sheds, knives and God knows what else besides.