Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

6 minutes ago, WD-40 said:

Try this, it might help. If you're doing a u turn to the right shift your ass all the way to the left side of the seat. If you're doing a u turn to the left shift your ass all the way to the right. It'll keep your body more upright and let you turn the bars further without feeling like the bike is going to drop. And always look ahead in the direction you want to go.

Absolutely.....and there's no better instructor on stuff like this than Bret Tkacs @gymwitch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gymwitch said:

Thats true. I get to use an mt07 for both bits and it is a lovely bike !!! Its just the bloody u turn...its got in my head that i cant do it in the tiny space...i know its not a tiny space 🤣

That was my issue too, but once you get it sorted you wonder why you had any problems with it in the first place.

• Like 1

If you can do the figure of 8 ok you’re already doing two uturns with no problems so maybe try doing increasingly tighter figure of eights. 
When I did mod 1 I got myself some surveyors spray paint (same as road marking paint except it eventually wears off) and drew 4 lines on the ground in a yard with two of those line being a metre closer together than they would be in a test. At first the inside lines seemed impossible but within half an hour or so of practising they were easy. It boosts your confidence if you know you can easily make the turn in a smaller space than required. 
I also marked dots to represent the cones and I’d do the uturn and the slalom n figure of eight on my way out or back for a ride. Got to the point where I thought about painting more on for a full blown obstacle course 😆
No-one minded the markings because they knew it was temporary and I ended up having to remark them for someone else who saw me in the yard having a go and decided he wanted to do his test too. I think we provided some entertainment cos they were always happy to see me, plenty of waves n smiles and laughs.. shit they were laughing AT me 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WD-40 said:

Try this, it might help. If you're doing a u turn to the right shift your ass all the way to the left side of the seat. If you're doing a u turn to the left shift your ass all the way to the right. It'll keep your body more upright and let you turn the bars further without feeling like the bike is going to drop. And always look ahead in the direction you want to go.

Ohhhh i will try that thanks !!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If you can do the figure of 8 ok you’re already doing two uturns with no problems so maybe try doing increasingly tighter figure of eights. 
When I did mod 1 I got myself some surveyors spray paint (same as road marking paint except it eventually wears off) and drew 4 lines on the ground in a yard with two of those line being a metre closer together than they would be in a test. At first the inside lines seemed impossible but within half an hour or so of practising they were easy. It boosts your confidence if you know you can easily make the turn in a smaller space than required. 
I also marked dots to represent the cones and I’d do the uturn and the slalom n figure of eight on my way out or back for a ride. Got to the point where I thought about painting more on for a full blown obstacle course 😆
No-one minded the markings because they knew it was temporary and I ended up having to remark them for someone else who saw me in the yard having a go and decided he wanted to do his test too. I think we provided some entertainment cos they were always happy to see me, plenty of waves n smiles and laughs.. shit they were laughing AT me 😂

Hahaha im sure they werent!!! I have had a practice at an industrial estate but could do with finding a better area. 

6 hours ago, dynax said:

No! do they bollox, theory test and one practical test, which can be taken in any car, usually something in the one litre range, then once passed they can drive whatever car they want regardless of engine size and horsepower :classic_laugh:

If they can afford the insurance.

Nevermind though, when you win the lottery you can go and buy a boat with a 1000 hp and go tearing around wherever you  like in the sea. Probably kill yourself and someone else but no licence or training is required by law. If you don't keep your boat in a marina you don't even need insurance.

4 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

If they can afford the insurance.

Nevermind though, when you win the lottery you can go and buy a boat with a 1000 hp and go tearing around wherever you  like in the sea. Probably kill yourself and someone else but no licence or training is required by law. If you don't keep your boat in a marina you don't even need insurance.

So why are we f@cking about with bikes when we could all be on the water :classic_laugh:

Just now, dynax said:

So why are we f@cking about with bikes when we could all be on the water :classic_laugh:

Cos they are even more expensive and in addition to all the usual ways of killing yourself you can drown as well. Some of them also have a fuel consumption running more like gallons per mile.

35 minutes ago, dynax said:

Cause it's cold and wet, and if it's warm waters with sun, pirates will kill you in your sleep for your tin of beans and last months viz.

If you still fancy it try watching all is lost 👍 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, XTreme said:

OK......I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here.....just bear with me!

If we went back 50 years you could get a new Jap 250 for less than 300 quid (a Tenner a month for 3 years on HP)......and out on the road you went. And bear in mind they weren't the gutless commuters they are now......they were hot stuff affordable bikes for the masses. The Yamaha YDS7 for example, with only a few minor tuning mods, was the mainstay of production racing back then.

Yamaha_YDS7_250cc_(1972)_-_8963202020.thumb.jpg.57e31d59f55f2884f42e4cd536790f77.jpg

I'm not saying that jumping on that never having ridden a bike was a good thing.....because the stats show the 70's to be "The Killing Fields" as far as motorcycles go.

I used to go to a bike funeral every month......even had to identify bodies on the mortuary slab in fact. And I've got some even more gruesome stories on that aspect but there's no need to recount those.......it may put newer riders off.

So......let me reiterate once again, I'm not saying that a scenario where you could just jump on a performance bike without even having a clue how to ride is desirable.....it's most definitely not. My point is that making motorcycle access more and more difficult and horrendously expensive is not a good thing either.

Go back 50 years to the free for all.....I never knew anybody who had a bike stolen......and I never knew anybody who ever stole a bike. And some of those people I knew were not averse to breaking the law.....I knew guys who were done for grave robbing (no, I'm not joking) and even one who went down for first degree murder.

So my question is......is there a correlation between the inaccessibility and extortionate costs of access to the world of motorcycling, and the motorcycle theft epidemic that you guys seem to have over there?

Yes I know that criminals will still be criminals.......but in my day the criminals weren't stealing bikes.

smart looking bike the YDS7 i had an AS3 125 for a couple of years and that was a lot better than modern 125's

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swagman said:

I do think they need more training these days than we had in the 70s because of all the modern day traffic, plus a lot more ass holes driving cars so they need a lot of awareness about them, but I don’t think doing a CBT every two years is needed it is basic training and if you have been riding for two years then you don’t need a basic course it should be a one off.

Swaggy , that's the first sensible thing i've  seen you post