Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Good evening :classic_biggrin: I've been out on my bike nearly all day today!

only did 100 miles or so but really enjoyed myself :thumb:

I ache in places I didn't know I had places! :classic_biggrin:

It was very very warm at any speed less than about 50! ( that was most of the time on Welsh roads)

I now have cider:cheers:

• Like 5

Good afternoon!

It's insurance payment day... For both car and motorbike. And prices are flying up. I got the SV down to £120 for the year, so not bad. But my car has flown up from £300 to just shy of £500 and it was quite an argument to get it down to £420. I know prices have gone up in general, but I was warned by the salesman who sold me my car 4 years ago that I should expect this.

I think the words were "When the younger drivers start to afford this car, you'll see your insurance jump as they start being flipped down the road". Sure enough, I saw one the other day with L-plates a month or two again. And I just think, who the f**k gives a learner a 200 horse power Ford Fiesta as a first car!? :shock: :lol: 

Anyway, I'm probably going to sell it. As its servicing costs are getting spicy, somewhere in the region of £2k a year at the moment. Eyeing up a few Hyundai models that I can run into the ground over 15 years. 

• Like 2

I believe that among many other factors one of the things driving insurance upwards is an increasing number of scallywags driving / riding without any insurance meaning the rest of us get to pay for them too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

I believe that among many other factors one of the things driving insurance upwards is an increasing number of scallywags driving / riding without any insurance meaning the rest of us get to pay for them too. 

I can believe that, I was witness to a crash last winter. Car flew out of a junction and hit two cars, two teenage lads got out and ran for it. And I hear a lot on the Facebook groups.

I also think it’s a bit of parents giving things to “their little darlings”. I see kids flying around on electric bikes that cost north of £5k a surprising amount. And the two cars like mine I’ve seen with L plates the last couple of months is making me think that parents buy what they are told is the “coolest model” and don’t know the technical side. 

My first car was a Vauxhall Corsa and made about 84bhp, which was enough for some friends to put on their roofs :|

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I can believe that, I was witness to a crash last winter. Car flew out of a junction and hit two cars, two teenage lads got out and ran for it. And I hear a lot on the Facebook groups.

I also think it’s a bit of parents giving things to “their little darlings”. I see kids flying around on electric bikes that cost north of £5k a surprising amount. And the two cars like mine I’ve seen with L plates the last couple of months is making me think that parents buy what they are told is the “coolest model” and don’t know the technical side. 

My first car was a Vauxhall Corsa and made about 84bhp, which was enough for some friends to put on their roofs :|

My wife bought both our kids a cheap car when they passed their tests. Son got a pink Fiat 600 (very cheap but he's still traumatised by it). Daughter had a hideous Citroën AX. That went on to be a first car for two other kids and was last heard of carrying sheep on a Weardale farm. Insurance cost more than the cars and that was almost 20 years ago.

• Like 3

Starting to put a list together for the trip. So far. 

1. Passport, less than 6 months on it, but more than 3 months after I return. 

2. Euro's - Trip to the post office in order - Hotel is cash only. 

3. All the usual paperwork - V5 & Insurance + Travel Insurance + EIHC + Euro Vehicle Recovery. 

Leave the rest until end of next week, then panic 😂

• Like 2