Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

On 28/08/2023 at 21:28, bonio said:

Some cities make a fine sight when you arrive by sea. I've never done it, but New York must be one of them.

I believe it is but the only previous time I arrived there it was thick fog and when we left it was pissing down. I've yet to see it!

• Haha 1

350 miles of motorway driving today. Home to midlands and back. Some interesting driving observed,.

If you’re driving an Arnold Clark van and you have a plate with the name “Malcolm” on it, it’s probably best not to drive as if you’re on a kart track , swapping lanes and overtaking on either side of the traffic, cos there’s a lot of people with dash cams who love to be proper Karen’s (apologies about the stereotype if your name is Karen). Not me… I can’t be arsed

Another driver, driving along the outside lane of the motorway in a transit van, should check his mirrors more than once every five minutes. Those flashing blue lights on the vehicle behind are to give a subtle hint to get out of the way (i’m wondering if an advisory note about driving without due care and atttention might be in the post). The copper was doing everything he could to make himself seen. Bloody interesting as I was following the action having seen the copper in my mirrors at least a couple of miles earlier and got out of his way.

As above, but an ambulance held up for about a mile behind a car… 

Middle lane hogger on a clear section of the M6 by the Lake District being overtaken by a VW Polo who was travelling in the inside lane. The hogger then decided the inside lane was safe and free from hazards. 

• Like 3

Morning all.

Rain cleared away and will soon be dry and sunny for the RALLY weekend.

There is still plenty of room for anyone who wishes to join in - 'L' Plates, 50cc - 3.4ltr+, trikes, etc. are ALL welcome!

Reminder - Camping is FREE!

There are hotels & B&Bs in the local area

Room in the car park for an additional van

Ride out on Saturday (time TBD) - This will be non-motorway and national speed limit taking in some local twisties (and a few straight sections).

Animation Motorcycle GIF by EVANREDBORJA

• Like 2

Good morning.

I’m still agonising over my best (favourite?) option to get into Switzerland on our upcoming tour. The first couple of days are the only section where a route is planned in advance. I was intending to head to Val-Cenis just for an excuse to ride over the Col De l’Iseran purely because conditions didn’t allow us to do it during last year’s tour, and it’s a been an enjoyable ride on previous tours. It appears to be undergoing roadworks, though, and that might affect the enjoyment. 

The alternative is to head to Cluses and follow the Route Des Grand Alps to Bourg-Saint-Maurice. But there seems to be delays around the Lac de Roselend…. Aaargh.

Both then position us to go into Switzerland over the Grand St Bernard pass.

Excuse me while I go flip a coin…

2 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Good morning.

I’m still agonising over my best (favourite?) option to get into Switzerland on our upcoming tour. The first couple of days are the only section where a route is planned in advance. I was intending to head to Val-Cenis just for an excuse to ride over the Col De l’Iseran purely because conditions didn’t allow us to do it during last year’s tour, and it’s a been an enjoyable ride on previous tours. It appears to be undergoing roadworks, though, and that might affect the enjoyment. 

The alternative is to head to Cluses and follow the Route Des Grand Alps to Bourg-Saint-Maurice. But there seems to be delays around the Lac de Roselend…. Aaargh.

Both then position us to go into Switzerland over the Grand St Bernard pass.

Excuse me while I go flip a coin…

Bin that idea - Come to the RALLY instead! 😇

• Haha 2

Good afternoon!

Still working, but near the end of my day. Covid seems to be doing the rounds again, as a number of people are off sick, and I've got no backup for a work trip I'm due on next week. Been asked gently to stay out of trouble, which I think rules out my original plan to do a day trip to the rally tomorrow. Hopefully there's an end of season meetup or something in the works? As I've barely done 2000 miles on the bike this year, down from my usual 10,000. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Good afternoon!

Still working, but near the end of my day. Covid seems to be doing the rounds again, as a number of people are off sick, and I've got no backup for a work trip I'm due on next week. Been asked gently to stay out of trouble, which I think rules out my original plan to do a day trip to the rally tomorrow. Hopefully there's an end of season meetup or something in the works? As I've barely done 2000 miles on the bike this year, down from my usual 10,000. 

Sorry to hear that Fozzie.

End of Season is the Rally!

Autumn is already here.

Ride out starts at 1100hrs.

• Like 1

Good afternoon! France was worth the visit.

We took advantage of the 12pm checkout time at Brampton Premier Inn and went to get a few tags on the road north.

We gave the Bohemia café a miss (the whole place looked about as Bohemian as Gordon Gekko's Filofax). Dinner at the Two Flags was awesome. It's up for sale if you have the energy.

Was going to grab a few more tags on the way up to Wirral, but I received a call in my headset - we'd left something at the hotel.

Thankfully, the delay for food at Two Flags meant it was only half an hour back. After that, three hours home. At speed 😁

Thanks to @Grumpy Old Gitfor organising the rally. So sorry to have missed you all.

Now to clean a million flies off the bike.

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 3