Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

47 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Right now we are at sea. Heading to New York where I should arrive on the 28th.  We then have to hang around for 2 days before they'll bring us in. What's happening in Baltimore?

Have a look at the news, a container ship hit the bridge, major incident.

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Right now we are at sea. Heading to New York where I should arrive on the 28th.  We then have to hang around for 2 days before they'll bring us in. What's happening in Baltimore?

I large vessel struck a bridge in the early hours, 1.6 miles of bridge collapsed into the water. 

7 people missing. 

• Sad 1

I hadn't seen the news this morning. Now I have and I can't say I'm surprised. Large container ship loses propulsion power near bridge which means you have no control. Huge number of boxes on deck so a lot of windage. To steer at all this kind of ship needs to go relatively fast so when they lose power theyve got no control at all. Slide into a bridge support which had no protective barriers and that's going to be it. At close to 100,000 tonnes and travelling even as slow as 5 knots that's an awful lot of kinetic energy getting instantly transferred to the bridge structure. 

I'm a bit twitchy at the moment as we have 2 bridges to negotiate where the clearance is barely a metre. Hoping our calculations are correct!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I didn’t go for it.  The seller wouldn’t allow collection and I didn’t like the idea of their chosen delivery co. So I passed it up. Knocked it off the watch list and forgot about it.

Then this appeared on eBay and, as if by magic… it’s on my sideboard.

IMG_1748.thumb.jpeg.1fde41ab9cbd9de9f3a5da480124a4d0.jpeg

Looks lovely, but more importantly how does it sound ?

6 hours ago, curlylegend said:

Looks lovely, but more importantly how does it sound ?

well, now here's the thing. Its got a very different vibe going on. it doesn't sound like a CD player. the only giveaway is the total silence at the start of and between the tracks.

It sounds more like a very good record player. none of that 'digital/dry' sound. its warm and still has all the clarity that CD is known for.

Im very pleased. It's actually more than I hoped for.

Ive never owned anything that uses valves before.. normally well out of my league.

But second hand.. its 11 months old. affordable - just. it had 19 watchers on eBay. He was happy to answer questions and while I was absorbing his replies he followed up with a reduced price offer - and at that point it became irresistible. 

Its why the bike is off the road for another 4 weeks. 20th April.. tick tock.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

It sounds more like a very good record player. none of that 'digital/dry' sound. its warm and still has all the clarity that CD is known for.

Sounds like you have achieved The ultimate goal. 

The lack of realism and warmth in the playback of digital media has always been a drawback. 

Like photography, if you want a "realistic" portrait photograph, reduce digital noise and the clarity a little, but still keep the detail. 

Edited by Simon Davey

16 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I hadn't seen the news this morning. Now I have and I can't say I'm surprised. Large container ship loses propulsion power near bridge which means you have no control. Huge number of boxes on deck so a lot of windage. To steer at all this kind of ship needs to go relatively fast so when they lose power theyve got no control at all. Slide into a bridge support which had no protective barriers and that's going to be it. At close to 100,000 tonnes and travelling even as slow as 5 knots that's an awful lot of kinetic energy getting instantly transferred to the bridge structure. 

I'm a bit twitchy at the moment as we have 2 bridges to negotiate where the clearance is barely a metre. Hoping our calculations are correct!

Yours looks like some kind of tanker, how do you get out back under the bridges once you have tipped?

16 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

skilled/blind faith and under valued/paid...

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Good result then.  Audio is such a personal thing. I used to read rave reviews about components but when I actually listened to them I was somewhat underwhelmed.

Again, it's the environment you're listening in making a big contribution to your perception.

Glad you're contented, I know what it feels like.

yep its all in the details. whats it connected to/with, whats each component character? whats ghe surrounding area like.

warming them up, running them all in, placement, settings.

• Like 1