Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Well that was a fun 24 hours....

Yesterday afternoon I got a call from my mother's falls alarm. Apparently she had fallen and knocked her head but was OK. But I thought I go over to check on her.

First thing was that the new Mersey Gateway bridge was closed northbound on account of an expansion joint having failed. So that's going to cause mayhem for weeks.

Then the M57 was down one lane and a truck decided to break down in that lane. 

So being in a bit of a hurry I was not best pleased. 

I got to her flat to find her virtually unconscious surrounded by a pool of blood. Heads bleed profusely especially when someone is on blood thinners.

The ambulance crew were brilliant but we were stuck in the ambulance until midnight because A&E was like a war zone. How the staff cope is beyond me. 

By 5.00am she'd been seen by a doctor and patched up. Then it was sorting out her meds and arranging dressings. We got her home around midday and I've started the delightful job of cleaning the carpet. 

It's made me realise that murdering someone would be quite hard work getting rid of the evidence.  

• Sad 9

wow bit of a shock, obviously glad you made the journey to check.

Hope shes better and pottering about again soon!

yep real hard work and under valued is nursing profession, people/rando's can be especially terrible as we found out over the period of weeks at BRI.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

So glad you got to your mum MB, what a stressful journey that must have been, seems like that was only half the story, bet your feeling wrecked, all the best for your mum's recovery and your heart rate returning to normal!!

I go to A&E quite a lot as part of my job, when psych liaison need us to support. I've seen some sights in there over the years. As a nurse you're more likely to be assaulted in A&E by a 'regular' member of the public than on an acute psychiatric ward. I'm happier dealing with people with MH problems to be honest, I know what to expect. 

Glad to hear your mum got seen and treated MBF. I think it's awesome how quickly you responded, it probably saved her life.

18 minutes ago, Bender said:

Insurance renewal came through this morning a grand total of £86 down over a tenner from last year 😁

There must be a mistake? 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

hope its true Bender but id check it over real fine as they probably upped the excess (vol most likely) and removed things like ncb cover, pillion cover etc without mentioning it and hiding it in subcategories in the policy.

thats what the sneaky mofos tried on with this year so i promly told them to stop conning me and not to renew after that stunt so i looked elsewhere and got what i needed for the same price.

• Like 2

Nope it's all good, I'm just at that point in life where it's getting as cheap as it will ever get before going the other way 😢, I would sooner be paying 1.2k and be 20yr old 😂

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Bender said:

Nope it's all good, I'm just at that point in life where it's getting as cheap as it will ever get before going the other way 😢, I would sooner be paying 1.2k and be 20yr old 😂

Have to admit, I hadn't had a bike for 24 years, bought a 1200, albeit an ancient 1200,and was really surprised at insurance for about £350. 

Then it dawned on me that I'm "getting on a bit". Which wasn't a nice feeling. 

We still have all that speed and power between our legs, it's just that, now it's mechanical. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 04/04/2024 at 06:07, Simon Davey said:

Where to next?

Do you have to stay on board whilst in port?

On our way to load in Houston probably for Pembroke UK. Usually I do have to stay on board. Can be a very busy time work wise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

On our way to load in Houston probably for Pembroke UK. Usually I do have to stay on board. Can be a very busy time work wise. 

Is there a gym at least? Or facilities to keep you entertained? 

I always liked the idea of working on a boat, but more the engineering section (power generation). 

29 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Is there a gym at least? Or facilities to keep you entertained? 

I always liked the idea of working on a boat, but more the engineering section (power generation). 

You mean sat at the oars surrounded by sweaty men in leather loin cloths whilst being whipped by another sweaty man.

Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

You mean sat at the oars surrounded by sweaty men in leather loin cloths whilst being whipped by another sweaty man.

I've worked from home for 4 years now, I'd just appreciate the physical interaction to be honest :lol:

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Physics floats the boat, it's displacement 😂

I wonder at what point one of the leather bound men stands up and proclaims he's Spartacus......

• Like 1

No leathers and the only rowing is on the rowing machine in the gym. On these kind of ships propulsion power is a large 4 stroke 6 cylinder diesel nominally18750 kW but downgraded to 11500 kW to comply with emission standards. Electrical power is from 3 auxiliary diesel gensets of 1050 kW again 6 cylinders each. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

No leathers and the only rowing is on the rowing machine in the gym. On these kind of ships propulsion power is a large 4 stroke 6 cylinder diesel nominally18750 kW but downgraded to 11500 kW to comply with emission standards. Electrical power is from 3 auxiliary diesel gensets of 1050 kW again 6 cylinders each. 

What does that run at 60rpm, I wouldn't think that mass would like speed. puts our juke to shame 😂

• Like 1