Acf 50 sprayer review

MikeHorton

I've not used my tracer for a week or so, it had a good clean and dry last time in preparation of a good coat of acf. Well today I had opportunity and use a sprayer to apply it. I bought the terratek sprayer in the pictures from Amazon for just over £30 and was sceptical as to whether it would work but I have to say it was amazing. The acf misted out nicely I used a lot less than normal and got greater coverage especially in those hard to get places. As per other modes of application I stood the acf in hot water to aid its application.

I'll be using this again and the sprayer came with 2 liquid bottles. The instructions state it can be used for a lot of other applications so seems like good value to me. Might be worth a punt for those of you who ride all year round and want to avoid a corroding bike through the winter.

IMG_20201105_105613.thumb.jpg.b9f9df953b29a33c1f4e9b4c6f93a9e9.jpg

IMG_20201105_114538.thumb.jpg.2a093a6ebb9092ecf8cbda196015ea6a.jpg

It's £35 now on eBay now Amazon sorry

Look at this on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153781420267

No worries, thanks for finding it, everything needs cleaning and spraying with ACF and I just can’t get around to it. You never know it might be just the motivator needed!

I was wondering but wouldn’t post it for fear of taking it mumsnet if I could put limescale remover in it!

Some idiot installed a glass shower wall that requires far far too much maintenance, oh wait it was me...

Should be fine I think it will run through with no issues. I might put some fence care in mine and try a spray tan 🤣

....for doing our summerhouses....

Summerhouses... plural.. how many homes do you have?!

And when can I come on holiday?

We have two summerhouses at home. One we use to sit in and the other is the store for my beekeeping equipment.

It's a warmer day today so the bees are busy gathering ivy pollen for winter stores.

IMG_20201107_134652397.thumb.jpg.fa57145cd295d4816ca2768aba2987d3.jpg

IMG_20201107_134720944.thumb.jpg.f0364064bac7a0a98352020365ef6248.jpg

IMG_20201107_134727181.thumb.jpg.5bf2884f430a79e0a5d1786596162f40.jpg

Very nice, I’ll take the one on the left, I’m thinking one month around Easter :thumb:

Have you suffered any of these bee hive death problems I keep hearing about?

You always risk losing a colony over the winter. So far I've not had many losses. I had a small nucleus (a small box for bees before their colony grows to the size of a full size hive) which got attacked and robbed out. Bees are terrible at robbing honey from weak colonies if they get the chance. By the time I spotted what they were up to it was too late so that colony was lost. But it came from a swarm I pulled out of a hedge and never really got going so it wasn't a huge loss.

Sudden death of a whole colony can happen if they get poisoned by spraying, attacked by wasps, or get a disease. I tend not to treat my bees with any chemicals on the basis that if they're strong enough and healthy enough they'll get through - but if they're weak or vulnerable to disease then keeping them going only spread weaker genes. It seems to work, but my current lot are quite feisty when I'm working on them. The do make huge amounts of honey though so I will tolerate their bad behaviour.

Very nice, I’ll take the one on the left, I’m thinking one month around Easter :thumb:

You always risk losing a colony over the winter. So far I've not had many losses. I had a small nucleus (a small box for bees before their colony grows to the size of a full size hive) which got attacked and robbed out. Bees are terrible at robbing honey from weak colonies if they get the chance. By the time I spotted what they were up to it was too late so that colony was lost. But it came from a swarm I pulled out of a hedge and never really got going so it wasn't a huge loss.

Sudden death of a whole colony can happen if they get poisoned by spraying, attacked by wasps, or get a disease. I tend not to treat my bees with any chemicals on the basis that if they're strong enough and healthy enough they'll get through - but if they're weak or vulnerable to disease then keeping them going only spread weaker genes. It seems to work, but my current lot are quite feisty when I'm working on them. The do make huge amounts of honey though so I will tolerate their bad behaviour.

So what would have happened if you’d noticed the attack earlier? How would you stop it?

Also what it a badly behaved bee? One that doesn’t know how to beehave? Sorry that was more than I could resist.

So what would have happened if you’d noticed the attack earlier? How would you stop it?

Also what it a badly behaved bee? One that doesn’t know how to beehave? Sorry that was more than I could resist.

If I'd spotted the robbing then I could have moved the nuc and replaced it with an empty box. The robbing bees would then think they'd got everything there was to be had and give up.

Badly behaved bees are ones that are over defensive when the beekeeper is working on a hive. Usually they just ignore me but this lot get quite agitated. The worst thing is when they follow me after the inspection is finished. That can be a problem as they wait until I've moved away and removed my head cover before making their attack.

Look at this on eBay

Just bought one. Now all I need is a nice few days to wash and dry out the bike. Then I'll see if this is worth anything.

If you warm ACF up in hot water, does it go neat or do you need to dilute?

as they wait until I've moved away and removed my head cover before making their attack.

Clever little things then.

Bees have been shown to be very intelligent. Their ability to communicate, navigate and solve problems is something we don't understand.

Look at this on eBay

Just bought one. Now all I need is a nice few days to wash and dry out the bike. Then I'll see if this is worth anything.

If you warm ACF up in hot water, does it go neat or do you need to dilute?

I’d be interested to see how the dilution of an extremely hydrophobic substance goes. I imagine it would be worse than trying to mix oil and water. If you try it record it for us :D

I’d be interested to see how the dilution of an extremely hydrophobic substance goes. I imagine it would be worse than trying to mix oil and water. If you try it record it for us :D

I'd hope even in these "chemically correct" days you can dilute things with some better-than-water stuff! Kerosene, maybe a bit of petroleum ether (don't know if this is still politically correct, in the old days this was a "go-to" gunk remover in the garage). The more it stinks, usually the better :D

Acetone would be great for mixing, but plastics may not like it too much (unless someone can figure out how to make acetone evaporate before it hits the bike).