Is this a bimble...

Six30

The fastest I've ever knowingly done on a bicycle was 41 mph and that was down a very long and steep hill in Scotland  . That's when your thoughts turn to blood and elbows . 

That wasn't nice to watch, but (for those that were knocking out test system in the UK) it's the consequence of jumping on a bike without any training. It's also clear that the rider doesn't know how to countersteer, as he's trying to just lean the bike into the corners and it's not working.

I've done 52 mph on my bicycle down Helmsdale, just south of Wick.... adrenaline is brown .... STRAVA ... 

My companion Paul hit 57 mph .......... :classic_blink:

Edited by Trooper74

At a mere 30mph on a bicycle I immediately start thinking about whats gonna happen if the flimsy wheel and skinny tyre hit an unseen pothole 😬

They never state what speed the bicycle has been tested to and I always wonder about the integrity of the bike at high speed.

52 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

I've done 52 mph on my bicycle down Helmsdale, just south of Wick.... adrenaline is brown .... STRAVA ... 

My companion Paul hit 57 mph .......... :classic_blink:

Really GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

2 hours ago, learningtofly said:

That wasn't nice to watch, but (for those that were knocking out test system in the UK) it's the consequence of jumping on a bike without any training. It's also clear that the rider doesn't know how to countersteer, as he's trying to just lean the bike into the corners and it's not working.

No it isn't.......it's a twat who shouldn't even be on a bike in the first place. Yet he seems to have a full licence? I'd be questioning the standards required in that country that gave him a motorcycle license in the first place. 

As for training.....I've no idea. And neither do you so you can't cite that as an example of no training. I've never had any training but I've never ridden like that.........and I doubt any of the others here from the 60's/ 70's did either. Or we wouldn't be here now.

And he's never going to countersteer anyway........can you see why? 

Also.....on the point of countersteering! Did you know that this is a catchy phrase introduced by (I believe) Keith Code back in the late 80's/early 90's.........it just merely gives a name to a natural action that we already did for years. If we hadn't, we'd all have kept going in a straight line.

So effectively it just made a natural, subconscious action that we always did, into a conscious action that you needed to think about. Made him a shitload of dosh too as I recall.

10 minutes ago, XTreme said:

No it isn't.......it's a twat who shouldn't even be on a bike in the first place. Yet he seems to have a full licence? I'd be questioning the standards required in that country that gave him a motorcycle license in the first place. 

As for training.....I've no idea. And neither do you so you can't cite that as an example of no training. I've never had any training but I've never ridden like that.........and I doubt any of the others here from the 60's/ 70's did either. Or we wouldn't be here now.

Also.....on the point of countersteering! Did you know that this is a catchy phrase introduced by (I believe) Keith Code back in the late 80's/early 90's.........it just merely gives a name to a natural action that we already did for years. If we hadn't, we'd all have kept going in a straight line.

So effectively it just made a natural, subconscious action that we always did, into a conscious action that you needed to think about. Made him a shitload of dosh too as I recall.

Thanks for confirming my point. That's why most of us have training before taking our tests.

Many aren't, sadly.

Please enlighten me.

Being consciously correct is a lot better than being unconsciously correct. Understanding is better than a lack of understanding.

See above.

Edited by learningtofly

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

Really GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

On STRAVA via Garmin 200 ...... not my best day ...... It was the last day of our 2019 LEJOG ..... 14 days, 940 miles ( we got lost a lot ) .... :classic_rolleyes:

Julie, Cally and Linda drove the 3 vans that carried all the kit, note our youngest in the pram, Riley, 7 months old ..... he got a finishers medal ......

fullsizeoutput_20f.jpeg

• Like 3

The counter steering thing does my head in. 
Some time ago one Jonny Big Bollocks instructor I had was busy trying to assert his superiority (as is often the want of inadequate people) on that knackered old topic and in the end in the manner of a school child I covered my ears and loudly said “Not listening, not listening, don’t make me pick apart something that happens regardless, we would have all fallen off by now if it didn’t”

I thought oops Im gonna get picked on now but he just laughed and moved onto his next ‘big I am’ topic 🙄😆

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

On STRAVA via Garmin 200 ...... not my best day ...... It was the last day of our 2019 LEJOG ..... 14 days, 940 miles ( we got lost a lot ) .... :classic_rolleyes:

Julie, Cally and Linda drove the 3 vans that carried all the kit, note our youngest in the pram, Riley, 7 months old ..... he got a finishers medal ......

fullsizeoutput_20f.jpeg

3 vans for 8 riders?!?! Were they carrying fresh bikes for you? 😆

8 minutes ago, fastbob said:

I've never been able to relate the term " Counter Steering " to anything that actually happens when I ride a motorcycle . 

Turn right at 5mph and you go to the right, turn right at 30 and you go left, your brain is just in auto pilot, you learn when your a kid riding a pushbike.

• Like 2

Oh well, I’m satisfied that I actually understand the principles of counter steering, and that I’ve actively practiced it in different scenarios (including emergency hazard avoidance, etc.). There are things that I’m happy to assign a bit of muscle memory to, but if you guys want to trust to instinct I’ll just wish you luck :thumb:

Edited by learningtofly
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

fullsizeoutput_20f.jpeg

which ones you ?

35 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

3 vans for 8 riders?!?! Were they carrying fresh bikes for you? 😆

3 of the riders didn't finish, Ken (72) and with prostrate cancer crashed out in Bridgewater, John (68) collapsed in the toilets near Lancaster, Chris ... had a family issue and had to leave us ....

Van 1 ... Hattie a 32 year old crappy camper van was home to me, Julie and Riley.

Van 2 ..Cally and Steve had fitted out an old van to sleep in ....

Linda  and Kev had a small van with an awning they had made to sleep in .... the rest slept in tents  ....

Day 11 was my 60th birthday .... I spent it with my wife, Riley, and my cycling brothers and sisters .... after a 67 mile day ... it was amazing, such a memory.

• Like 1