Is this a bimble...

Six30

6 minutes ago, Marino said:

Jes it is, he was one of the racers supposed to race next day, instead spent several days in hospital in coma.

Dont know if he was naked, but he was more dead than alive.

Italians🤣

I believe he had taken on a few litres of the local red wine or possibly  slivovitz which would turn anyone a little crazy.:classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

I believe he had taken on a few litres of the local red wine or possibly  slivovitz which would turn anyone a little crazy.:classic_laugh:

It’s true, after few of local drinks everyone become superheroe 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rennie said:

I always thought bimble was a military thing! First time I heard it anyway :scratch:

And I thought it meant on foot like a relaxed walk without specific destination

Walk or travel at a leisurely pace.

Don't sound like the army to me.

• Haha 1

The estimates vary wildly depending on the study used but almost half of motorcycle fatalities involve alcohol (cos it effects collision avoidance). Which kind of adds up when you consider most accidents give you less than 2 seconds to react and alcohol slows reaction times. 

Makes for grim reading but personally I find it heartening cos I never drink and drive so the risk of a fatal accident for me (and other bikers who don’t drink n ride) is already significantly reduced with that one simple risk factor removed. 

Another plus side is as I’m not adverse to the odd G&T I’ve had a lot of great nights away that involved riding somewhere and having to stay over. 

oh dear this post almost sounds like a public service announcement :classic_biggrin:

On 05/12/2020 at 19:15, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I did LEJOG a few years back with a mate cycling. It was brilliant just being on the road for a couple of weeks on just two bikes. We mainly stayed in B&Bs to save carrying tents.

In Cornwall I saw 60 on my Speedo on one hill, after that my eyes were watering so much I couldn't see much and I certainly wasn't going to be looking anywhere but where I was heading. We wore out a set of brakes in two days riding on those hills.

I spent most of my early years hooning about on two wheels so I've never understood why people find counter steering difficult. It's something that comes naturally if you've ridden two wheels from an early age. 

I guess the problem is kids these days aren't as free range as we were.

No they’re definitely not and it’s something I felt acutely when my boys were younger.
We don’t live in the same world now. The idea of letting my children (when younger) out on a bicycle in the traffic we have here horrified me. No amount of cycling proficiency is going to be sufficient against that traffic, even seasoned adults often fall prey to it.

It’s a real shame and not an easy one to find a solution to. I’m grateful I had the freedoms I did. Then again when I look back on some of it and think I’m also lucky to be alive! 😆

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
  • Like 1

I certainly haven't let either of my daughters have the same freedom to roam I had as a child. I feel bad about it but its not the same world as it was when I was a kid.

I definitely wouldn't be happy letting a 10 year old go out all day long roaming the town and surrounding areas like I used to with no-one knowing where I was or what I was doing.

On 05/12/2020 at 11:26, fastbob said:

The fastest I've ever knowingly done on a bicycle was 41 mph and that was down a very long and steep hill in Scotland  . That's when your thoughts turn to blood and elbows . 

I followed two cyclists on the Lecht Road downhill towards Cock Bridge and at one point I was doing 70 mph. I could not have caught up with them even if I tried.

5 minutes ago, Throttled said:

I followed two cyclists on the Lecht Road downhill towards Cock Bridge and at one point I was doing 70 mph. I could not have caught up with them even if I tried.

So if they had come off they would have been absolutely peeled . 

11 minutes ago, Throttled said:

70mph on a pushbike ....

Really GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

3 minutes ago, Six30 said:

70mph on a pushbike ....

Really GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Yeah , hang on a minute , 45 is pushing it for a professional racing cyclist . 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fastbob said:

So if they had come off they would have been absolutely peeled . 

Possibly, though considering some of the high speed crashes in the Tour de France and other races, pro cyclists capable of such speed somehow manage to crash and not be cut to pieces.

45 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Yeah , hang on a minute , 45 is pushing it for a professional racing cyclist . 

Not downhill.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/122kph-jeremy-roy-went-even-faster-tour-de-france-stage-nine-258371

"Leigh Howard showed that he sped along at 122kph at one point on stage nine of the Tour de France, but he wasn’t the fastest rider on the road on Sunday.

Jeremy Roy (FDJ) recorded 127kph (79mph) on the descent of the Côte de la Comella while Marcus Burghardt (BMC) topped out at 130.7 (81.2mph) on the long downhill section from the first climb, according to his Strava upload"

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/pros-hit-astonishing-speeds-130kmh-tour-de-suisse-descent-335610

"Pros hit astonishing speeds of more than 130kmh on Tour de Suisse descent"

I know an ex-pro cyclist who trains others to improve their downhills using roads in the Cairngorms. I was doing 70 mph, but I was quite far behind. Whether they reached 70mph is another matter, but they must have been doing in the 60s or else I would have caught them up.

• 9 months later...

I got stopped as a teenager on a racing bike, (lightweight, skinny tyres) by the old bill for speeding, 42 in a 40, but there was Nought they could do because pushbike don't have speedos fitted so how would I know how fast I was travelling

1 hour ago, keith1200rs said:

I may be wrong, but I believe speed limits don't apply to push bikes in the UK, unlike many other countries. 

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/featured/cycling-and-the-law

Well, I was cycling on what at the time was the new Bedford Road, going past a pub called the Brittania Inn. There is a left hand bend and a bridge over the river nene, and they pulled me up on the bridge. They said they had followed me from the brackmills roundabout and I was over the speed limit the entire time. I did point out had no speedometer on the bike so had no idea how fast I was going, they pointed out I was keeping up with the cars around me. I was actually quite chuffed, being as it was a hand built bike with a fifteen gear set-up (built by me), and the thinnest 21 inch wheels I could find, 80psi in each and not a patch of lycra in sight (or helmet) 

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 21:59, billy sugger said:

Well, I was cycling on what at the time was the new Bedford Road, going past a pub called the Brittania Inn. There is a left hand bend and a bridge over the river nene, and they pulled me up on the bridge. They said they had followed me from the brackmills roundabout and I was over the speed limit the entire time. I did point out had no speedometer on the bike so had no idea how fast I was going, they pointed out I was keeping up with the cars around me. I was actually quite chuffed, being as it was a hand built bike with a fifteen gear set-up (built by me), and the thinnest 21 inch wheels I could find, 80psi in each and not a patch of lycra in sight (or helmet) 

So if you were keeping up with the cars why the f@@@ did they not pull one of them or were they just picking on you cos you were a cyclist? Mind you having been driving round a cyclist infested IoW I'd pick on the bloody cyclists too!

On 24/09/2021 at 20:32, keith1200rs said:

I may be wrong, but I believe speed limits don't apply to push bikes in the UK, unlike many other countries. 

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/featured/cycling-and-the-law

I believe this to be true. Where we used to live the council introduced 20mph speed zones but then ran cycle races through them. I pointed out that the cyclists were bound to be travelling at more than 20mph in a race - the council's reply was that speed limits do not apply to pedal bikes.

It was still stupid to have cars limited to 20mph with cyclists running a race on the same roads. But councils aren't noted for using their common sense.

• Like 1

Bristol has 20 mph limit throughout large parts of the city. Whiteladies Road runs from Clifton Down and then as Park Lane on to the harbour side. Cars, buses etc are limited to 20 mph, cycles are not. Hence large numbers of loons whizzing down the hill with wild abandon weaving in and out of the traffic. I too have succumbed to this perverse pleasure. Now made worse by powered scooters and on one memorable occasion a mob of skateboarders. 

17 hours ago, billy sugger said:

My favourite watering hole, especially Thursday night jam session

Shame it has gone I believe.

I only found out recently and I was never a regular but I did like the place I must admit.

Especially the till that said kangaroo p*ss if they rang in a fosters for someone.

Cheers

Ian