Is this a bimble...

Six30

3 minutes ago, Six30 said:

hope John and Ken are ok

There fine... we did the Coast to Coast, Whitehaven to Tynemouth over 3 days earlier this year in between lockdowns ...

P1000437.JPG

Edited by Trooper74

1 minute ago, Trooper74 said:

There fine... we did the Coast to Coast, Whitehaven to Tynemouth over 3 days earlier this year in between lockdowns ...

here's one for you , if you could only do one what one would it be , motorcycling or push biking ,

think very carefully before you answer :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, learningtofly said:

Oh well, I’m happy that I understand the principles of counter steering and that I’ve actively practiced it in different scenarios (including emergency hazard avoidance, etc.). There are things that I’m happy to assign a bit of muscle memory to, but if you guys want to trust to instinct I’ll just wish you luck :thumb:

There is nothing wrong with practicing, your just embedding into an automatic response, I have no doubt if the need arise that @fastbob will carry out avoidance on auto pilot.

18 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

3 of the riders didn't finish, Ken (72) and with prostrate cancer crashed out in Bridgewater, John (68) collapsed in the toilets near Lancaster, Chris ... had a family issue and had to leave us ....

Van 1 ... Hattie a 32 year old crappy camper van was home to me, Julie and Riley.

Van 2 ..Cally and Steve had fitted out an old van to sleep in ....

Linda  and Kev had a small van with an awning they had made to sleep in .... the rest slept in tents  ....

Day 11 was my 60th birthday .... I spent it with my wife, Riley, and my cycling brothers and sisters .... after a 67 mile day ... it was amazing, such a memory.

Not being inflammatory, just curious, did everyone do enough training for this trip? 

Also are you 60 summink with a load of young kiddywinks? 😱

17 minutes ago, Six30 said:

here's one for you , if you could only do one what one would it be , motorcycling or push biking ,

think very carefully before you answer :classic_biggrin:

I live for my family and my motorcycle .... My cycling will keep me alive longer to enjoy both .... good answer, well prepared.

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Not being inflammatory, just curious, did everyone do enough training for this trip? 

Also are you 60 summink with a load of young kiddywinks? 😱

Well you did ask ....

We where walking through Rotherham one evening, in a door way was an obviously drunk woman, equally obviously very pregnant... we took her home, cleaned her up, contacted SS the next day, made a home for her in her last trimester. 

She had a mad history of alcohol and drug abuse, including 1 previous child in care and a cot death.  So we cared for her, she had her baby, and at 11 days old Jules and I brought home Riley.... Mum had supervised contact, at a contact centre, for an hour every day. I packed in work and we raised a baby ... Social Services refused to class us as foster parents so we carried the financial side ..

Then on a Friday in July, the Police knocked at our door and handed our 3 grandchildren to us. Our daughter is a 20 year + heroin and cocaine user .... 

The children are in our care via a court order .... Riley is with his forever family but his mummy has stage 4 cancer so he comes to us every Friday morning to Sunday evening ...

And i'm back at work full time ... This was not how we planned our later life ...... 

BUT .... we have lots of regrets but love all 4 of OUR children and love, cuddle and care for them...

There ends War and Peace .... sorry ....

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Bender said:

There is nothing wrong with practicing, your just embedding into an automatic response, I have no doubt if the need arise that @fastbob will carry out avoidance on auto pilot.

Yes, I’ve got no issue with that. However, I nearly killed myself in my younger days taking a bend too fast for my pitiful attempts at leaning the bike to accommodate; I had no idea what counter-steering was until a mate explained it to me.  It’s also clear that the bloke in the video has no idea either, so I’d like to know why properly understanding it is a thing to be sneered at.

Anyone? 

Edited by learningtofly

5 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

Well you did ask ....

We where walking through Rotherham one evening, in a door way was an obviously drunk woman, equally obviously very pregnant... we took her home, cleaned her up, contacted SS the next day, made a home for her in her last trimester. 

She had a mad history of alcohol and drug abuse, including 1 previous child in care and a cot death.  So we cared for her, she had her baby, and at 11 days old Jules and I brought home Riley.... Mum had supervised contact, at a contact centre, for an hour every day. I packed in work and we raised a baby ... Social Services refused to class us as foster parents so we carried the financial side ..

Then on a Friday in July, the Police knocked at our door and handed our 3 grandchildren to us. Our daughter is a 20 year + heroin and cocaine user .... 

The children are in our care via a court order .... Riley is with his forever family but his mummy has stage 4 cancer so he comes to us every Friday morning to Sunday evening ...

And i'm back at work full time ... This was not how we planned our later life ...... 

BUT .... we have lots of regrets but love all 4 of OUR children and love, cuddle and care for them...

Well that’s all heartbreaking and I truly take my hat off to you and your wife. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well that’s all heartbreaking and I truly take my hat off to you and your wife. 

We have a mad but very happy life ..... 

But counter steering  ... no, it's just riding .... 

Edited by Trooper74
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

Well you did ask ....

Wow. Respect.

5 minutes ago, learningtofly said:

Yes, I’ve got no issue with that. However, I nearly killed myself in my younger days taking a bend too fast for my pitiful attempts at leaning the bike to accommodate; I had no idea what counter-steering was until a mate explained it to me.  It’s also clear that the bloke in the video has no idea either, so I’d like to know why properly understanding it is a thing to be sneered at.

Anyone? 

Have I missed some of the conversation? Sneered at is a bit strong, you been on the cheeky vimto or did the dentist finally give you the good stuff? 😆

It really never occurred to me anyone didn’t automatically counter steer. Personally if I think in detail about something that happens physically while I’m actually doing it it tends to fall apart. Perhaps that’s where the attitude your picking up on comes from, it feels like someone explaining something silly, I dunno, like bright lights are bright and the dark is dark.

Whatever works for you n makes it less likely to come a cropper is fine with me. 

• Like 1

I did LEJOG a few years back with a mate cycling. It was brilliant just being on the road for a couple of weeks on just two bikes. We mainly stayed in B&Bs to save carrying tents.

In Cornwall I saw 60 on my Speedo on one hill, after that my eyes were watering so much I couldn't see much and I certainly wasn't going to be looking anywhere but where I was heading. We wore out a set of brakes in two days riding on those hills.

I spent most of my early years hooning about on two wheels so I've never understood why people find counter steering difficult. It's something that comes naturally if you've ridden two wheels from an early age. 

I guess the problem is kids these days aren't as free range as we were.

• Like 1

I've never been aware of counter steering ... but very aware of vanishing points on corners .... I suppose what ever keeps you alive, safe and keeps those  around alive works ...

51 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Have I missed some of the conversation? Sneered at is a bit strong, you been on the cheeky vimto or did the dentist finally give you the good stuff? 😆

It really never occurred to me anyone didn’t automatically counter steer. Personally if I think in detail about something that happens physically while I’m actually doing it it tends to fall apart. Perhaps that’s where the attitude your picking up on comes from, it feels like someone explaining something silly, I dunno, like bright lights are bright and the dark is dark.

Whatever works for you n makes it less likely to come a cropper is fine with me. 

No, there was definitely some sneerage but if I go on beating my head against the wall I’ll just end up with a sore head. Better to watch Strictly, given that the football doesn’t seem to be an option.

1 hour ago, Trooper74 said:

I live for my family and my motorcycle .... My cycling will keep me alive longer to enjoy both .... good answer, well prepared.

that doesn't answer the question ...are you a politician ? :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Six30

1 hour ago, learningtofly said:

Anyone? 

No there is nothing wrong with understanding it at all.

In an emergency situation though it needs to be instinct and instant, conscious thought is a time consuming thing.

Running wide and not making corners starts with a bad entry speed and or line, having confidence to lean your bike over more is certainly a good thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bender said:

Well , last time I crashed a bike was about four years ago . Although the car stopped in front of me before I hit it , I somehow managed to find myself rolling over and over down the grass verge . Whether I instinctively did something in the last split second I have no idea . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Well , last time I crashed a bike was about four years ago . Although the car stopped in front of me before I hit it , I somehow managed to find myself rolling over and over down the grass verge . Whether I instinctively did something in the last split second I have no idea . 

I don't recommend practicing that one 

6 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Did you hit the car or leap off like superman before impact?!

• Like 2

Guest Richzx6r
3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I think hes too old to remember things like that :classic_tongue:

12 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I had a collision with a Volvo 240 some years ago. Head on at about 30mph. I remember instinctively pushing hard off the footpegs and handle bars, rotating through the air, my helmet hitting the windscreen with a glancing blow, smashing it, then landing behind the car rolling head over heels, then rolling full length along the road ... I was bruised and battered but not injured.

But i don't remember the next bit ... The police where there quite quickly, the accident happened near the main entrance to RAF Honnington. Apparently i was shouting and screaming at the driver, who had locked himself in the car , and kicking the sh1t out of ever panel on the body of the car ......

Ambulance from the RAF base turned up and carried me off ..... Concussed ....

The front wheel of my bike was alongside the engine and the forks snapped .... so lucky me....

Edited by Trooper74

Many things you don’t learn during that basic training for driving licence. It would take at least 6 months.

that basic training for driving licence is just to give you idea about driving/riding nothing else. Anyone interested for more will spend significant amount of money to get knowledge and gain confidence and experience.

When ever I go to Croatia, I visit this place http://www.99racingschool.com/index.php?l=en

I did it first time 20 years ago and was amazed how much you can learn in just one day. Obviously depend on your existing experience and skills.

If you ever go there it is worth to try, and it’s not expensive. 

Edited by Marino

6 hours ago, Marino said:

Many things you don’t learn during that basic training for driving licence. It would take at least 6 months.

that basic training for driving licence is just to give you idea about driving/riding nothing else. Anyone interested for more will spend significant amount of money to get knowledge and gain confidence and experience.

When ever I go to Croatia, I visit this place http://www.99racingschool.com/index.php?l=en

I did it first time 20 years ago and was amazed how much you can learn in just one day. Obviously depend on your existing experience and skills.

If you ever go there it is worth to try, and it’s not expensive. 

Its not the place where an Italian  tourist broke in at night and for some reason was riding his bike bare-assed naked when he hit a deer? Fell off my perch when one of my mates told me that one.