Looking after old neighbours

Bender

1 hour ago, rennie said:

Well done for helping out! :thumb:

We are the elderly neighbours in our street! :classic_biggrin:

Thanks, takes very little in life to make a difference.

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

True enough, but sometimes it's distance too. Through no fault of their own my parents live in mid-Northumberland but I live in Gloucestershire and work at sea, one brother lives in Munich and the other in Houston. Even without covid its not practical for us to pop in to just have a cup of tea and help out a bit. With covid it's totally impossible.  My brother in Munich has  had to cancel 4 flights to the UK this last year. 

I did offer to help with yours too, and they don't even live next door 😁 

My brother falls into the only show up if he's after anything catagory, luckily my dad has plenty of support, my sis and her kids always make a fuss and i help with anything he just physically can't manage

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bender said:

Thanks, takes very little in life to make a difference.

I did offer to help with yours too, and they don't even live next door 😁 

My brother falls into the only show up if he's after anything catagory, luckily my dad has plenty of support, my sis and her kids always make a fuss and i help with anything he just physically can't manage

Fortunately the parents  live in a nice small flat with a decent support network. My cousin lives locally and walks her dogs to my parents place regularly.

More concerned about my daughter trying to look after me. When she was 7 her classmates described her as a bossy blonde bitch. Not much has changed since except the hair colour. Her heart's in the right place but I'm not quite in my dotage yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Sometimes there are good reasons for it. I bet my Mum’s friends and neighbours think that she is lovely etc. My FIL’s Mum is a right ungrateful and unpleasant demanding person whom I would have stopped helping by now. 

With ours the son is just clueless, fine for emotional support but if it's something that needs doing he would just stare at it hoping it would go away.

He did manage to stick the door bell to the door though and remove the battery tab so there is some attempt.

I don't think he can help it though, he's just not a practical person, I have no doubt he's the same in his house.

Guest Swagman
15 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Piss off. That's only 7 years away and if you think I'm doing a bike test you can take a flying f**k at a rolling donut 😈

My sentiments exactly feck the test.😤😤

Guest Swagman
2 hours ago, Stu said:

I bet most of these on here are the old neighbours :D

Fecking good job too as you wouldn’t have any subs without us to keep it running young man.😀👍🤣

16 hours ago, Richzx6r said:

I honestly believe that you should have to take an annual driving test when you get above 70 years of age 

yeh and if they fail ... give em the death penalty.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Six30 said:

yeh and if they fail ... give em the death penalty.

Perhaps you could combine both and kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. The test could be to release a condemned man in a wide open space, like an old airfield, and the OAP has to mow him down as he's legging it. If the crim gets to the end safely his sentence is commuted to life imprisonment and the OAP loses his licence; if he doesn't, the OAP keeps his licence and gets a free voucher for the car wash. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guest Swagman
37 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Perhaps you could combine both and kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. The test could be to release a condemned man in a wide open space, like an old airfield, and the OAP has to mow him down as he's legging it. If the crim gets to the end safely his sentence is commuted to life imprisonment and the OAP loses his licence; if he doesn't, the OAP keeps his licence and gets a free voucher for the car wash. 

That’s a great idea.👍

37 minutes ago, MarkW said:

To make it a bit more fun  ... put one of the OAP's relatives in the mix as well , if they got any left....... dress them the same just put a number plate on their backs with their names on it .... that will cover the eye sight part of the test.

8 hours ago, MarkW said:

I live well over 100 miles away from my mother, and yet I cut the grass for her far more often than my brother does, and he's only 15 minutes down the road from her. Lazy bugger.

Mind you, he has had one or two bad experiences there: he electrocuted himself on the mower a few years ago because she'd left it out in the rain, and another time he ran over a dead cat that was hidden by the long grass, already partially decomposed and heaving with maggots. Imagine hitting that lot with a Flymo!

😲

yeah you wouldnt want a mouthful

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

For the same reasons? creaking and cracked floorboards 

Yup, had to get mine made as they were odd size, I wrapped and separated the pipes where they went over joists to stop creaking and clicking when heating starts up, it's silent now

DSC_1137.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bender said:

Yup, had to get mine made as they were odd size, I wrapped and separated the pipes where they went over joists to stop creaking and clicking when heating starts up, it's silent now

DSC_1137.JPG

Jesus! that landing looks so similar to mine its unreal! 

Thats one thing I regret is not wrapping them but looking at spaghetti junction I think mine has been bodged! not that I am an expert like! 

What did you wrap them in? I will be in there again when I decorate the landing and replace the newel posts on the stairs 

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Jesus! that landing looks so similar to mine its unreal! 

Thats one thing I regret is not wrapping them but looking at spaghetti junction I think mine has been bodged! not that I am an expert like! 

What did you wrap them in? I will be in there again when I decorate the landing and replace the newel posts on the stairs 

Hi @Stu you can buy felt for wrapping pipes.

I am sure there will be someone on here working on a site that can get you some.

I would volunteer but not currently working :classic_sad:

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1