MAG / Motorcycle Action Group

4 minutes ago, Bender said:

Yes, the autonomous car which was still under development was also accompanied by a fully functioning human, who decided to watch TV instead of the road.

The woman if I remember rightly decided to cross over the road in the dark infront of the car with lights.

The car picked her up 6seconds out at the side of the road, she was pushing the bike, the car couldn’t work out what she was, the tester didn't see her till instant before impact.

As part of the testing they had disabled volvos own safety braking system that would have likely saved her.

Complete catalogue of errors all round unfortunately.

Sad. I’ve read some frightening stuff abound the real accident rates if AI cars. Hard to know how much is true but it looked like we’re a lot further off self driving cars than we’re led to believe. Shame it would be a boon for people who can no longer drive. 

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Sad. I’ve read some frightening stuff abound the real accident rates if AI cars. Hard to know how much is true but it looked like we’re a lot further off self driving cars than we’re led to believe. Shame it would be a boon for people who can no longer drive. 

Thing with cars and software is once one learns from an issue it can be spread across them all, it will come and it probably won't stop all accidents but they have already saved drivers

Tesla shares all its accident stats, full auto pilot cars have an accident at something like every 4.5million miles, cars without 2.5million, Tesla without auto active safety 1.5million

Average USA stat is every 165,000miles

Now you can make stats show lots of things but it's showing tech is improving things.

Uber made the mistake of disabling tech instead of including it, I belive they given up now anyway.

48 minutes ago, Bender said:

Thing with cars and software is once one learns from an issue it can be spread across them all, it will come and it probably won't stop all accidents but they have already saved drivers

Tesla shares all its accident stats, full auto pilot cars have an accident at something like every 4.5million miles, cars without 2.5million, Tesla without auto active safety 1.5million

Average USA stat is every 165,000miles

Now you can make stats show lots of things but it's showing tech is improving things.

Uber made the mistake of disabling tech instead of including it, I belive they given up now anyway.

I think Uber is the one I’ve heard of fiddling their figures. So that was down to disabling the tech?

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

32 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I think Uber is the one I’ve heard of fiddling there figures. So that was down to disabling the tech?

Down to lots of things, they had already been kicked out of one state for testing as their accident stats were every 15000miles, spread over a fleet of cars that was pretty much an accident every other day.

Self-driving tech has gone 90% of the way, but it's the last stretch that's difficult, according to this in the Guardian... https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jan/03/peak-hype-driverless-car-revolution-uber-robotaxis-autonomous-vehicle.

As for bicycles, they are being separated out already in their own lanes, in most civilised places.

Guest Swagman
21 minutes ago, Breezin said:

Self-driving tech has gone 90% of the way, but it's the last stretch that's difficult, according to this in the Guardian... https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jan/03/peak-hype-driverless-car-revolution-uber-robotaxis-autonomous-vehicle.

As for bicycles, they are being separated out already in their own lanes, in most civilised places.

So are they going to separate the bikes from cars in all the villages and country roads as well.

59 minutes ago, Swagman said:

So are they going to separate the bikes from cars in all the villages and country roads as well.

Yeah, fair point. I was thinking the biggest danger from dumb cars, as with dumb drivers, is probably on urban streets.

14 minutes ago, Breezin said:

Yeah, fair point. I was thinking the biggest danger from dumb cars, as with dumb drivers, is probably on urban streets.

Our car is a kind of halfway house on the way to being smart. At the moment it is decidedly dim. It scans road side signs and advises the driver as to the prevailing speed limit. Unfortunately it seems to be dyslexic as it regularly informs us that the limit is 90 or 120 mph. It has been known to read phone numbers on the back of trucks etc. A long way to go before I'd trust a car on autopilot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Our car is a kind of halfway house on the way to being smart. At the moment it is decidedly dim. It scans road side signs and advises the driver as to the prevailing speed limit. Unfortunately it seems to be dyslexic as it regularly informs us that the limit is 90 or 120 mph. It has been known to read phone numbers on the back of trucks etc. A long way to go before I'd trust a car on autopilot.

in a few years time maybe we wont need to have driving licences it will just be a case of jumping in the car and telling it where you want to go and let it get on with delivering you there a bit like having your own private bus 🙄

Edited by skyrider
  • Like 1

@skyrider I'm sure they will have a manual mode :lol:

For some occasions I'd quite like the automatic experience. Can drop me off at town and then go off and find itself a parking space without me driving round in circles looking for a gap., I can then message it to say I'm done now, come and get me :thumb:

No more need for a taxi on Pub nights (If they ever open again!)

I certainly would need  a manual operation as well and I'm betting that will be required by law.

Guest Swagman
9 minutes ago, skyrider said:

in a few years time maybe we wont need to have driving licences it will just be a case of jumping in the car and telling it where you want to go and let it get on with delivering you there a bit like having your own private bus 🙄

I Robot,😀sounds familiar.

1 minute ago, Tiggie said:

@skyrider I'm sure they will have a manual mode :lol:

For some occasions I'd quite like the automatic experience. Can drop me off at town and then go off and find itself a parking space without me driving round in circles looking for a gap., I can then message it to say I'm done now, come and get me :thumb:

No more need for a taxi on Pub nights (If they ever open again!)

I certainly would need  a manual operation as well and I'm betting that will be required by law.

i would bet they would come up with some loophole saying you cant  take your self driving car to the pub 

Guest Swagman
6 minutes ago, skyrider said:

remember arnie in total recall and the jonnie cabs :classic_laugh:

Yeah forgot about the jonnie cabs,the future of motoring in a jonnie.🤣🤣

35 minutes ago, skyrider said:

Agree. What a depressing future. 

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

You think? .. My SatNav can't get it right so I don't have much faith in a self driving car!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

You think? .. My SatNav can't get it right so I don't have much faith in a self driving car!

yes i think you are right most satnav's will put you in a field full of surprised cows or in a canal, probably be a long time coming before these cars appear and get it right 

Guest Swagman
19 minutes ago, skyrider said:

yes i think you are right most satnav's will put you in a field full of surprised cows or in a canal, probably be a long time coming before these cars appear and get it right 

That’s good news then👍