Things to do in Isolation:

onesea

Key worker so no "isolation" for me, however there's plenty I could be doing if I was.

Thoroughly washing and polishing the 125. Always satisfying.

Servicing the car (and fixing it after Mrs. 125's parking wars). Meccano for grown-ups and one of my favourite hobbies.

Re-painting the bedroom wall that Master 125 Senior decided to "artistically decorate" the other night with marker pen (feck knows where he managed to find it...).

Building/decorating some model rockets. Just need to be allowed out fly them...

Having fun at home with the kids. Great excuse to be a kid again!

Certain, er, "noctural activities" with Mrs. 125...

Tidying up the utter mess that Masters 125 Senior & Junior make on a daily basis. Not fun but has to be done.

Cooking delicious meals. Satisfying and enjoyable.

Daily walks/cycling around the village (unless self-isolating). Simple pleasures and one of the few ways to say hello to folk in person these days. Ram yer Zoom meetings!

Stargazing at night (one of my favourites). Nothing quite like taking in Orion, Gemini and the Pleiades Cluster on a gin-clear freezing cold night.

Bingeing on Star Trek series on Netflix or listening to 70s/80s/90s rock music with Mrs. 125, small amount of alcohol, nice food, kids in bed and cat on lap. Favourite way for us together to unwind from the day's radgeness.

Dreaming of home right now...

• Like 1

Luckily with me starting the new venture it gives me something to focus on, the downside I can't create the content needed for the website, but it does give me a chance to play around with it and learn how to do stuff on it :thumb:

• Like 1

Good on you Dynax. A good time to learn new stuff such as this!

I recently found a free model rocket design software called OpenRocket. Its fantastic and has opened up a new dimension to the hobby. Learning so much about flight dynamics of rocketry and now moving from kit builds to designing and building my own designs. Great for use in the evenings when fed up watching Netflix and can't be bothered doing anything else in my above list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 125cc said:

Good on you Dynax. A good time to learn new stuff such as this!

I recently found a free model rocket design software called OpenRocket. Its fantastic and has opened up a new dimension to the hobby. Learning so much about flight dynamics of rocketry and now moving from kit builds to designing and building my own designs. Great for use in the evenings when fed up watching Netflix and can't be bothered doing anything else in my above list.

If I get really frustrated or fed up I can take advantage of a long hallway, that doubles up as a shooting range and blast away at some targets :lol:

• Like 1

I've started a wee leather pouch for my new Zumo. :) 

will post some pics to brag about it and make people jealous when it gets to shape :thumb: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 125cc said:

Key worker so no "isolation" for me, however there's plenty I could be doing if I was.

Oh I have known that feeling have worked right through,  this one however is enforced due to a couple of unexpected positive tests.

Edited by onesea
Today started watching with Americas Cup racing fomr last night. Youtube has rolled on and I am getting historical races. Fascinating how tech has changed, if your intrested.

On 14/01/2021 at 21:50, Bender said:

Just skimming or from brick, either way it's not that bad just get stuck in its not that hard 😁 

So having said you can steam of Aertex....  Turns out you can,  I have scraped me way through 2 different types of Aertex with the steamer now.

Reason they artexed of the the first aertex, because the original aertex was falling of and stuck on like sh1t in others, you can see where they had tried hacking it off before...

So Mr @Bender how hard did you say it was to plaster a ceiling?  Anything you would recommend, I have form my mum (who was capable of plastering) some tools.

Thin plastic sheets for walls, seal surface, mix skim coat to fairly thin mix, sliding  off trowel, slap it on as even ish as you can, don't worry about trowl marks when you first put it on, leave till it starts firming up, go over with trowel cleaned regularly in clean water, it should look fairly flat with very minor marks now.

Leave it till its just about set you can then Polish it with a plant spray to moisten surface and flatten off/Polish.

Ceiling is not the easiest thing to start off with but walls will be easy for you after a that 😁

5 minutes ago, Bender said:

Thin plastic sheets for walls, seal surface, mix skim coat to fairly thin mix, sliding  off trowel, slap it on as even ish as you can, don't worry about trowl marks when you first put it on, leave till it starts firming up, go over with trowel cleaned regularly in clean water, it should look fairly flat with very minor marks now.

Leave it till its just about set you can then Polish it with a plant spray to moisten surface and flatten off/Polish.

Ceiling is not the easiest thing to start off with but walls will be easy for you after a that 😁

You make it sound so easy, luckily its a bathroom walls and floor are Tilled so not to critical, I am guessing a steamer will remove.

Not going to be to successful with this or she will start eyeing up the kitchen ceiling the downstairs and I have convinced her that a job for the professionals.  The Down Stairs utility room would also look much better skimmed and I don't want to go there!

32 minutes ago, onesea said:

So having said you can steam of Aertex....  Turns out you can,  I have scraped me way through 2 different types of Aertex with the steamer now.

Reason they artexed of the the first aertex, because the original aertex was falling of and stuck on like sh1t in others, you can see where they had tried hacking it off before...

So Mr @Bender how hard did you say it was to plaster a ceiling?  Anything you would recommend, I have form my mum (who was capable of plastering) some tools.

if you have a go at doing it yourself please get someone to film it and share it with us .... :D

• Haha 1

On 14/01/2021 at 18:17, Steve_M said:

Bathrooms? We’ve just finished remodelling our bathroom. Similarly, we took it back to brick (or stone, in some places, being a stone built house). That done, we’ve started on what was a shower room, and converting it to a toilet room with an airing cupboard. It seems this is the third of fourth time this room’s been worked on as there are already three layers of tiles on the end wall, each boxed in.

You may have to cock your head sideways, but this was the before and after. Originally the bath was along the right hand side wall (as you walk in). I broke down a closet that used to house the boiler, and flipped the layout so the bath was built across the back wall under the window. The hardest bit was taking the old tiling off the old wall as at points I thought the wall between the living room/spare room was going to come down. Plastering and tiling was hard, and being honest I spent a long time fixing errors in that area, and it's still not perfect, but it's not noticeable. End result is with the door closed, there's more floor space and it looks a much neater layout. The old one, the bath didn't fit, on both sides the wall had been cut out to allow it to fit. 

280310882_Bathroom1.jpg.5ce4d151681733ae9d3dced7b9378843.jpg1419568792_Bathroom2.jpg.3087f8964fd66ba43228958df0d07802.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, onesea said:

You make it sound so easy, luckily its a bathroom walls and floor are Tilled so not to critical, I am guessing a steamer will remove.

Not going to be to successful with this or she will start eyeing up the kitchen ceiling the downstairs and I have convinced her that a job for the professionals.  The Down Stairs utility room would also look much better skimmed and I don't want to go there!

If it's only a small area it's easier to start off, should have left artex up and just boarded over it, much quicker and less plastering, just tape joints, fill and sand.

Have a look on YouTube, much better watching someone do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Six30 said:

if you have a go at doing it yourself please get someone to film it and share it with us .... :D

I have noticed you are back on form I have noticed this in some of your more recent posts.  Just don't burn out before the end of the year :o

I would not want you to miss out on the TOTY again :D :D

34 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

You may have to cock your head sideways, but this was the before and after. Originally the bath was along the right hand side wall (as you walk in). I broke down a closet that used to house the boiler, and flipped the layout so the bath was built across the back wall under the window. The hardest bit was taking the old tiling off the old wall as at points I thought the wall between the living room/spare room was going to come down. Plastering and tiling was hard, and being honest I spent a long time fixing errors in that area, and it's still not perfect, but it's not noticeable. End result is with the door closed, there's more floor space and it looks a much neater layout. The old one, the bath didn't fit, on both sides the wall had been cut out to allow it to fit. 

280310882_Bathroom1.jpg.5ce4d151681733ae9d3dced7b9378843.jpg1419568792_Bathroom2.jpg.3087f8964fd66ba43228958df0d07802.jpg

Nice work.

We reconfigured the bathroom in a similar manner. There wasn’t a shower, but by moving stuff around and, like you, making a cupboard smaller, we’ve managed to fit in a shower as well. This has allowed us to remove the shower from the old shower room and install ian airing cupboard. This, though, is proving problematic as it’s a dormer, with leaking flat roof, which we only found when I pulled down the ceiling. So work has ground to a halt until we can get someone to put a new roof on it. Ho hum.

Oh, look, a skip has just arrived. Filling that with rubble should keep me busy.

Edited by Steve_M

1 hour ago, onesea said:

I have noticed you are back on form I have noticed this in some of your more recent posts.  Just don't burn out before the end of the year :o

I would not want you to miss out on the TOTY again :D :D

trust me , a video of  you trying plaster a ceiling will win you TOTY . :D :thumb:

Not being bored at all I decided to make a stand for a lump of rock my eldest picked up from glen Afric some 18yrs ago, it's meandering around the house days are over.

Chopped up coach bolt, welded to a multitool blade and drilled into Mr rock head.

DSC_1261.JPG

DSC_1260.JPG

DSC_1262.JPG

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bender said:

Not being bored at all I decided to make a stand for a lump of rock my eldest picked up from glen Afric some 18yrs ago, it's meandering around the house days are over.

Chopped up coach bolt, welded to a multitool blade and drilled into Mr rock head.

DSC_1261.JPG

DSC_1260.JPG

DSC_1262.JPG

You could sell it on Etsy for £100 :thumb:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bender said:

I'm so stealing this idea!! :cheers:    Got a few different rocks I've picked up from being on holiday over the years that are just kicking around in different parts of the house

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Six30 said:

trust me , a video of  you trying plaster a ceiling will win you TOTY . :D :thumb:

Thanks for the advice my camera is staying safely put away, I would not want to be responsible for dethroning you.  However with my misses in the room next door I am sure she will take great delight in filming any highlights.
Knowing her if tis that much of a certainty she will make an account just to post it :classic_wacko:

• Haha 1