Bandit woes

Slowlycatchymonkey

4 minutes ago, Bender said:

Lift rear off ground with it out of gear you should be able to spin rear wheel with little to no resistance, if brake is sticking you will feel the drag or it won't turn by hand easily if at all.

Yes I did that and the wheel moves fairly freely (tbh I’m not sure how spinny a back wheel is supposed to be) but there is a kind of scraping sound. 

Remove rear brake caliper, check pads,  push piston back in, re fit spin whee pull brake to re seat pad, see difference with it removed, pads may catch very slightly but if a piston is sticking it will keep wearing pad.

If it's sticking the disk will be getting hot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

Lick your finger and  briefly touch to the disc ... if it hisses your pads are dragging ...

I had disks glowing on an audi I owned long-time back, I was doing ferrying of folk for a wedding, for some reason I deemed it a good idea to stick my finger to one to see how hot it was, well apparently very fn hot was the answer 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thats why you lick your finger ... the saliva hisses ... not your skin ....:classic_biggrin:

Except for the times i’ve forgotten to lick the finger ... then she complains bitterly ...🤣

Edited by Trooper74

41 minutes ago, Bender said:

Remove rear brake caliper, check pads,  push piston back in, re fit spin whee pull brake to re seat pad, see difference with it removed, pads may catch very slightly but if a piston is sticking it will keep wearing pad.

If it's sticking the disk will be getting hot.

Thanks. 

Check exhaust something may have stuck to it. I had a plastic catch on the silencer while riding and it stank.

Have you checked the front wheel? 

Run the bike stationary and see if the smell persists. If it does then it's not wheel related. If it only appears when moving it's most likely one of the brakes.

Check the radiator as well. I get some interesting scents when horse crap gets in the rad.

4 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Have you checked the front wheel? 

Run the bike stationary and see if the smell persists. If it does then it's not wheel related. If it only appears when moving it's most likely one of the brakes.

Check the radiator as well. I get some interesting scents when horse crap gets in the rad.

Thanks MB will do. Hadn’t thought of that. 

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’m afraid not ☹️ 
Im usually pretty at recognising burning smells but I don’t recognise this, it’s not familiar, I have no idea what burnt brake pads smell like.... 

They smell like burnt clutch :lol: 

Its a really odd smell and hard to explain to be honest

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It wasn’t quite burnt clutch, that usually has slightly oily chemically smell, this had none of that.  
I would say it was and odd smell and I can’t explain it!

There’s nothing I can think of to compare it to.

Sorry I should have said the same as a car.

They are the same material and smell the same when on fire.

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It wasn’t quite burnt clutch, that usually has slightly oily chemically smell, this had none of that.  
I would say it was and odd smell and I can’t explain it!

There’s nothing I can think of to compare it to.

did you have an Indian last night ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sorry I should have said the same as a car.

They are the same material and smell the same when on fire.

I don’t know that smell, burning cars isn’t Friday night entertainment round here 😂
It’s new to me which is why I think it’s brakes. 

Just now, Stu said:

We only did it on weekdays so people couldn't get to work the next day :popcorn:

I would do the suggestions above and make sure there is no brakes binding

Does it feel heavier to move? 

No when I got back I pushed it round to a spot I could put it on its centre stand and it felt the same but when I was riding it before I smelt the burning I had thought “this doesn’t feel like it’s pulling away the same as usual” but dismissed it cos haven’t ridden it since Christmas Eve. It continued to stink on the return journey.
I wonder if they were on and loosened off, if that can happen.