Bandit woes

Slowlycatchymonkey

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

No when I got back I pushed it round to a spot I could put it on its centre stand and it felt the same but when I was riding it before I smelt the burning I had thought “this doesn’t feel like it’s pulling away the same as usual” but dismissed it cos haven’t ridden it since Christmas Eve. It continued to stink on the return journey.
I wonder if they were on and loosened off, if that can happen.  

did you AC 50 it or clean any parts that get hot recent ?

Brake pads are usually in slight contact with the disc so you will usually hear a slight rubbing as you rotate the wheel. It doesn't take much for salt to cause that slight contact to be a bit firmer. But rotating the wheels by hand will make it clear if there's a problem. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’ll have another look at it after lunch when there’s someone about to give me a hand to get it on its centre stand, for some reason even though it weighs the same as the other bikes it’s heavier?! 😂

Thats just all to do with pivot points etc 

Put the rear wheel on a piece of wood about half an inch thick and you will be surprised how much easier it is to get on the centre stand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thats just all to do with pivot points etc 

Put the rear wheel on a piece of wood about half an inch thick and you will be surprised how much easier it is to get on the centre stand 

Oh yeh hadn’t thought about that. Thanks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, paulc said:

If you have not used it since Christmas eve perhaps it could be moisture in the exhaust burning off, or something similar. 

Kept in a dehumidified garage which is fairly temperature stable. We’re talking a powerful burning smell over time, not a whiff that faded. Has been left unridden for longer than 3 weeks before with out any problems 🤷‍♀️ 

19 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Callipers. 

Ah I see, the reason I asked was because I was reading somewhere that a faulty valve on a linked or combined braking system can cause brake drag at low or high speed braking I cant remember which way round and that could cause overheating and possibly be spinning free as a bird once stationary on its centre stand. 

Just that it would be easy to see a sticking caliper piston or binding pads. 

Edited by paulc

If your going to put your hand on or near hot things. Use the back of your hand, is more sensitive and if it does burn your natural reaction is to pull hand away.

If your that worried you could put water on disc and see if it hisses.

Another thought would be back of hand on callipers and work way towards disc..

Oh and if it's twin disc front don't assume if one side is cold the other side is.

Also did your bike to find strongest smells.

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Oh yeh hadn’t thought about that. Thanks. 

have heard that only triumph has the secret of putting a bike on/off a centre stand a bike mechanic told me that years ago 

Is the rear brake fluid ok, not a slight leak onto the exhaust. Unlikely i know. Anything stuck in the junction of the manifold where you cant see by just looking, have to get under.  il bet you've done all that though. drives you crazy doesn't it.

if its not pulling very well, does seem like engine. I know air filters are hard to get shit into or id say look in there.

36 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Is the rear brake fluid ok, not a slight leak onto the exhaust. Unlikely i know. Anything stuck in the junction of the manifold where you cant see by just looking, have to get under.  il bet you've done all that though. drives you crazy doesn't it.

if its not pulling very well, does seem like engine. I know air filters are hard to get shit into or id say look in there.

Thanks Jedibiker. I’ve got a good list of stuff to look at/do now! 

4 hours ago, jedibiker said:

any joy finding the issue?

Put it on the centre stand and got another set of ears to listen. Concluded it was a very light brushing sound, not a scraping sound. Span the wheel in first and no burny smell, no heat from brake or any surrounding area. Decided to warm it up and ride it towards the bike mechanics place and if the burning smell returned ask him to have a whiff. Nothing, no smell, rode beautifully like it usually does 👍

Would like to know what burning brakes smell like but there is another contender- the heated grips, it may have been a burning glue smell. 
The bloke I bought it from said it was serviced, the grips were fitted and it was then stored unridden until I bought it. On the highest setting they are so unbelievably hot you can’t touch them with bare hands (I have asbestos hands) to the extent I thought they’re not right. I switched them on today on a lower setting and when I stopped I sniffed around the bike very much like a dog sniffing another dog 😂 and there was a definite whiff emanating from that area.

Who knows but I’m not gonna sweat about it. 

Nice to be out in the sunshine for a minute or two. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

You have a mechanic that's open?! Obviously not Rider's. 

He opened throughout the first lockdown too cos he’s an MOT centre and they were allowed to stay open if they wanted to. 
He’s marvellous. Ex BMW bike mechanic from somewhere up there in that London, got that quiet librarian thing going on, cares about what he does and doesn’t charge the earth. 

• Like 1