What's your fantasy trip?

bonio

42 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It doesn’t look real does it @bonio

Its very real..  though as with any publicity photo, its possibly been colour enhanced. which you would expect.

The lake is the Foggensee and the road that curves is the B16, I can also make out Schloss Neuschwanstein, which you will have seen on TV, its the castle used in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, with the town of Fussen, hidden by a hill at the head of the lake. Ive always planned to stop at a campsite thats right on the lake with that view. Heres another.. but from above and behind the castle... looking west at another, smaller lake nestled in the hills, the Alpsee. the smaller castle to the right is Schloss Hohenschwangau. This is almost right on the border with Austria, the mountains you see are in Austria, it's that close.

The lake I stopped by on my tour, the Plansee is just a few miles away. Following the border all the way to Berchtesgaden is the 280 mile German Alpine Road.. a truly glorious scenic ride. but definitely one for 'off season'. during a normal working week.

csm_kristin-4662813_640_65058fa628.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It doesn’t look real does it @bonio

Nope, you're right. Like a fantasy world. A fitting destination for a fantasy trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

Its very real..  though as with any publicity photo, its possibly been colour enhanced. which you would expect.

The lake is the Foggensee and the road that curves is the B16, I can also make out Schloss Neuschwanstein, which you will have seen on TV, its the castle used in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, with the town of Fussen, hidden by a hill at the head of the lake. Ive always planned to stop at a campsite thats right on the lake with that view. Heres another.. but from above and behind the castle... looking west at another, smaller lake nestled in the hills, the Alpsee. the smaller castle to the right is Schloss Hohenschwangau. This is almost right on the border with Austria, the mountains you see are in Austria, it's that close.

The lake I stopped by on my tour, the Plansee is just a few miles away. Following the border all the way to Berchtesgaden is the 280 mile German Alpine Road.. a truly glorious scenic ride. but definitely one for 'off season'. during a normal working week.

csm_kristin-4662813_640_65058fa628.jpg

By jove I want to go there. 

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

By jove I want to go there. 

575 toll free miles from the Channel tunnel. a little further if you want to take in some of the attractions en route. like the aforementioned Black Forest.

Edited by Gerontious

10 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

A snippet of a distance for that view. 

And once you are there.. it puts so much literally on the doorstep. Italy is 80 miles away... and my calendar photo.

This is a little under 80 miles south from Fussen.

IMG_0250.JPG

Though my plan is to follow the Alpine road east and then turn south for the GrossGlockner. and if we do cross into italy use the Staller pass.  https://goo.gl/maps/eGbyrNUXALnLczfZ8

Edited by Gerontious

Just now, Gerontious said:

And once you are there.. it puts so much literally on the doorstep. Italy is 80 miles away... and my calendar photo.

This is a little under 80 miles south from Fussen.

IMG_0250.JPG

Outstanding photograph of a beautiful place. 
Its almost jurassic- apart from the enhancements of smooth tarmac and lovely bike. 

I awarded myself a fantasy trip for my retirement, instead of a cruise. Ferry to bilbao then two days down to alicante. Met wife off plane and had a week chilling with friends. Three days up to Barcelona, ferry to Sardinia, five days camping in the north, two days south and a week in a nice house on the beach. Ferry to naples and ride to east coast (mattinata) six nights there with trips out to various beaches, south to ostuni for five days exploring the south (heel). Wife got train to Rome from Bari while i rode in a day. Three nights in Rome, she flies back. I get ferry back to Barcelona and two days south. Ten days exploring Spain with mates and back via Bilbao.

hoping to ride to Greece when possible down east adriatic from Dunkirk taking seven days. Two weeks in greece, wife flies back and i ride back in four days via Italy, ferry from Greece to Ancona. Cant wait!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Turbogirlie said:

I'd settle for a trip into Wales this year!  It's 8 miles from ours to Kington and then you have the A44 to Aberystwyth, then up to Borth which I am looking forward to doing on the GT.   

Agreed. A ride to the Old Stores Cafe with my mates is the fantasy I am clinging onto.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 15:35, S-Westerly said:

My current fantasy ride which I could do in 2 weeks is from Cabo Tarifa  in Spain  (southernmost point of mainland Europe ) to Nord Kap in Norway (northernmost). Take a ferry to Santander and ride south to the start point. Do the route avoiding all 

Autoroutes etc. but aim at about  400 miles per day.

Like this one, and it is not in just fantasy bucket but easily possible👍

• Like 2

I’m seriously planning a trip to lake Garda this year (covid permitting) purely because it’s been on the list and my best friend is going on holiday there so I’ll pop down for a beer haha 

ferry to France, through the black Forrest to Switzerland, furka pass over to Italy and on to lake Garda, stay 1-2 nights,  hit the stelvio pass and then head home. 

if anyone would like to accompany me I’d be extremely grateful of the company! 

jamie 

• Like 2

I don't have a fantasy trip, but I would love to go back and ride the Timmelsjoch and Grossglockner this year. If we have to rely on the having received the full course of the vaccine before we travel, it would be August/September before I get the chance (optimistic)