What's your fantasy trip?

bonio

16 hours ago, bonio said:

* Got to start and end at home, using bike, ferries, tunnel. No planes.

* No more than 14 nights away

* No more than 7.5 hours actually on the bike each day

This isn't really a fantasy. This is what we do.. as he well knows.

We normally go away for a week to the Eifel/Luxembourg. and then every 2/3 years go somewhere else as an alternative, somewhere different so that the Eifel doesn't become stale through constant repetition 

So, thus far we have been to the Black Forest and the far south of France. The Vercors... because of a 'dream road' Combe Laval.. as well as other reasons. Sadly Combe Laval was closed due to a major rock fall. We went to the south of France that year because the original plan - going to Austria/Italy with a quick foray into Slovenia had to be scrapped at virtually the last minute due to weather.

So.. the plan was to try again, last September. But this year... that went to pot due to Covid and in the event I went alone. Ending up in the Dolomites. (and Liechtenstein) via the Eifel and Black Forest.

This year we will be going back to the Eifel and then next year we will try for Austria again.

14 nights away.. no more than 7.5hrs on the bike is actually a big constraint.. especially if you don't want to spend much time on Motorways. (and who does?) aside from stretches to munch the miles..  I generally aim for that to be only on the first and last day. Mostly because I view these necessary 'drudge' rides as pretty much unavoidable if you want to get to somewhere like the Alps in the minimum time. But its mainly.. actually about getting past the dull parts of France.. or Belgium.

I don't "do" fantasy.. what's the point? if you cannot make it happen then it seems a little odd to waste time dreaming. I do enough of that when Im asleep.

The only trip that can only be a fantasy at the moment is Norway. I can make that happen if they ever reinstate the Newcastle-Bergen ferry. And that might happen post Brexit, but I'm not holding my breath.

Motorail has all but disappeared... and Covid might be the end of it.. but. Im hoping that that might be an option for us in the Future. Motorail to the Balkans and if the route I have in mind still exists..  ride over the Bosphorus and into Turkey. Thats actually doable given Bonios "rules"

But.. aside from that. I have two 'back of an envelope' plans for the future. Slovakia and then into the Carpathians and follow them as far round the arc as possible in the time allowed hopefully at least as far as Transylvania.

Or... south east via the Alps and then the Ferry across the Adriatic to Montenegro.

But.. in either case that 7.5hrs on the bike.. as well as my own intense dislike for wasting time.. wasting prime riding time, on motorways means that these are unlikely. because it's too much of a slog on what is always meant to be a holiday.

I would never suggest something that was not doable and a 95% a pleasure ride.. once that first motorway leg is done.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I certainly wouldn’t bother with riding across it again, but it’s an impressive sight from the Gorge du Tarn, which is a delightful road. I’d like to go back and explore that area more sometime. 

Ive done that with Rob M. we made a conscious decision NOT to ride over the Millau... we went under it. we also had a really epic day... one of the best ever when we went to see the sea. the Med. and had a fabulous meal. Following the Tarn is a fantastic ride.. highly recommended. in fact that region around Milau and south to the Verdon. is truly stunning.

Another time.. I took Snoddy.. for his dream ride. he wanted to do the Monaco Grand Prix.. and I made that happen for him. he also wanted to see the med as he never had in his life.

Stop dreaming.. and start DOING!!!!

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Right now all we can do is dream. International travel isn't going to happen for the next few months at least. 

Indeed.. but aside from Spain/Portugal by ferry.... who would want to tour at the fag end of winter anyway? especially if you want to go to the Alps.. where winter isn't over until late May or into June.

Nowadays I'd need Sue to drive the campervan while I rode the bike.

I've got loads of trips I'd like to do!

We did central and southern Germany, in the van. in 2018.

I'd like to do Northern Germany up towards Denmark.

I'd like to do Spain again and maybe venture into Portugal.

I'd like to do some European bike race weekends too.

I've been over Milau twice on the bike and at least twice in the car

I thought it was pretty impressive! especially when you go over the clouds in the valley

• Like 1

Well I assumed the “fantasy” part of the thread title has more to do with the current state of affairs. I don’t think dreaming is a waste of time at all though, you think about a lot of things you’d like to do if you let your mind wander and when you find yourself repeatedly returning to the same thoughts they crystallise into something more real and then you simply make it happen.

Everything I’ve put in my post would have actually happened by now if it hadn’t of been for the obvious, I’d be happily exploring from a base in southern Spain with Morocco ticked off and the next country/countries riding mapped out.
Getting jabbed according to the vaccine calculator based on current vaccination rates puts my second jab mid to end august so realistically many of these things may not happen for me til 2022. That’s ok until that time I’ll just dream about it, knowing it is going happen. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, rennie said:

Nowadays I'd need Sue to drive the campervan while I rode the bike.

I've got loads of trips I'd like to do!

We did central and southern Germany, in the van. in 2018.

I'd like to do Northern Germany up towards Denmark.

I'd like to do Spain again and maybe venture into Portugal.

I'd like to do some European bike race weekends too.

I've been over Milau twice on the bike and at least twice in the car

I thought it was pretty impressive! especially when you go over the clouds in the valley

why would Sue need to drive the camper??????? there are hotels you know if it's cos you don't like tents :) 

1 hour ago, stedebs said:

why would Sue need to drive the camper??????? there are hotels you know if it's cos you don't like tents :) 

We'd far rather use the campervan don't really like hotels!

much more freedom to eat drink and see different places

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Indeed.. but aside from Spain/Portugal by ferry.... who would want to tour at the fag end of winter anyway? especially if you want to go to the Alps.. where winter isn't over until late May or into June.

Fair comment,  I wasn't really thinking of right now. 

3 hours ago, Six30 said:

Destination ..who cares .... as long as she's a goer.

ca9682f0dd95fb246c9cc286f32f678e.jpg

I assume misses @Six30 isn't a member...

I dare not ride with such ladies, my misses would set my daughter on me not that she would need encouragement 😅

2 hours ago, rennie said:

We'd far rather use the campervan don't really like hotels!

much more freedom to eat drink and see different places

fair enough ...... I don't like tents now so my tours on the bike or in the car will include hotels ..........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Ive done that with Rob M. we made a conscious decision NOT to ride over the Millau... we went under it. we also had a really epic day... one of the best ever when we went to see the sea. the Med. and had a fabulous meal. Following the Tarn is a fantastic ride.. highly recommended. in fact that region around Milau and south to the Verdon. is truly stunning.

DZPj7Cx.jpg
G2pPcFh.jpg

KtNLcuv.jpg

oy6Tfrk.jpg

He’s right, it was awesome 😎 

• Like 4

Dream trips for me would be

* Down through the Black Forest, over the Alps into the Italian Lakes, keep going east to the Dolomites, Slovenia and Austria. 

* Romania, Brasov, Sibiu, painted monasteries, the Transfaraggraragaran, perhaps a bit of Serbia too, see what's left of the Iron Gates

but in reality, I wouldn't mind a few days in the Pennines and the Lowlands. Great roads, not too far for a short trip.

Edited by bonio
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, bonio said:

Dream trips for me would be

* Down through the Black Forest, over the Alps into the Italian Lakes, keep going east to the Dolomites, Slovenia and Austria. 

Thats the plan.. that's always been the plan. 2022, third time lucky.

However.. over the Alps means NO to Switzerland. and YES to the Allgau.

aah... the Allgau. and the Deutsche Alpenstrasse

motorradtour-allgaeu-aufmacher-926x383.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, onesea said:

I assume misses @Six30 isn't a member...

I dare not ride with such ladies, my misses would set my daughter on me not that she would need encouragement 😅

that is my mrs .....

39 minutes ago, onesea said:

What the fook are you doing living in Rennes Wardrobe then.

my bad ... meant to say when the lights are out and the Stella has kicked in  that's my mrs...

• Haha 2