Heating stuck on full blast đŸ„”

Slowlycatchymonkey

Replaced thermostat and no joy.

About to replace timing programmer (same one a pretty basic ‘Iflo’ which has been rebranded as drayton) so if this fails what next?

Im inclined to assume after these two things have been replaced it’s the the boiler and likely beyond me but you never know one of you lot might say “Ah check it’s not a sticky switch on the blah blah” đŸ€žÂ 

Crikey this months been ridiculously expensive and now very bloody hot 😂

Not sure how old your boiler is but we had a similar issue a couple of years ago,  it was a dodgy diverter valve ..... Don't ask me what it does I'm not a plumber but it took him about twenty minutes to replace, wasn't a massive job,  cost about £50 odd quid from what I remember?

• Thanks 1

The valve @manxie49 says is the 3 way valve. What it does is to manage the water flow for heating and/or hot water.

It could be simply blocked with limescale and in need of a good clean up.

Depending on the system age it could be filled with silt (black sludge) and blocked.

Worth to drain the whole thing and refill adding a cleaning agent, you can get it from toolstation or screwfix.

Then drain it again and fill with some corrosion prevention additive.

There are some plumbers that will do a system clean but that will cost you around ÂŁ500 and you will be at his/her mercy.

What boiler you got?  Is it a boiler, a system boiler pump and valve built into boiler or is it a combi? , if it's just a boiler it may have one or 2 valves depending on how it's done.

If valve motor is fooked you can get just the head, either 2 port or three.

There is a lever you can shunt to manually move the valve.

Do you have hot water? 

It can't be an oil fired lpg 😁 

It's oil I'm out although it looks just like a plain old boiler.

Try triggering port valve manually, it's either that or the wiring to room stat is wrong could be faulty temp sensor on boiler.

Top half of pic is layout for 3 port.

Screenshot_20210215-172005.png

Oops getting mi fuels mixed up LPG was the old house 😂

Pretty certain the wirings good. 

Faulty temp sensor sounds like it’s a contender. 

The plumber just rang back he’s certain it’s the motorised valve?! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Oops getting mi fuels mixed up LPG was the old house 😂

Pretty certain the wirings good. 

Faulty temp sensor sounds like it’s a contender. 

The plumber just rang back he’s certain it’s the motorised valve?! 

It's the most common fail point 

15 minutes ago, Bender said:

I'm sure your getting the idea 😁 

These are just explosions caused by blocked off pressure relief valves.

Lightening vaporises the entire tank in an instant, there was one in Blyth years ago, took the end of the house out.

We had one of those in our last house. The guy who installed it showed me that video. It did work very well though.

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Something that seems to have been missed 

Have you wire the stat correctly? if not that can make it stay on! 

That bit I’m certain about. Electrics I can manage.. to an extent... if it’s obvious.. almost full proof.. which it was 😂

The downside- I’ve exhausted the things I’m confident doing and will have to pay the plumber to fix it but on the upside I got to go out in my bike in the sunshine to pick up first the thermostat and then back out for the heating programmer, bit of an expensive ride but I’m getting used to spending money on parts I don’t need đŸ€Ș😂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That bit I’m certain about. Electrics I can manage.. to an extent... if it’s obvious.. almost full proof.. which it was 😂

The downside- I’ve exhausted the things I’m confident doing and will have to pay the plumber to fix it but on the upside I got to go out in my bike in the sunshine to pick up first the thermostat and then back out for the heating programmer, bit of an expensive ride but I’m getting used to spending money on parts I don’t need đŸ€Ș😂

Just thought I would check :D