Insurance quotes 🤬🤬

Keeper96

I’m looking at getting a second car to take the strain off my ageing land rover and was looking at quotes for insurance last night once I’d found a car and they coming in at £740, this morning when I double checked the cheapest I could get was £1300 and the company that quoted me £740 was suddenly quoting £3700!! 

I swear they just make it up as they go

6 minutes ago, Keeper96 said:

I’m looking at getting a second car to take the strain off my ageing land rover and was looking at quotes for insurance last night once I’d found a car and they coming in at £740, this morning when I double checked the cheapest I could get was £1300 and the company that quoted me £740 was suddenly quoting £3700!! 

I swear they just make it up as they go

That seems a bit excessive unless you're really young and wanting to drive a hot hatch or similar!

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

That seems a bit excessive unless you're really young and wanting to drive a hot hatch or similar!

24 year old and looking at a 2020 Mercedes c220, not especially young or especially crazy car. 

I think the £1300 is okay ish as I’ve got no no claims to use as it it’s on my other car at the moment. 

I just can’t get my head around the quadrupling in price overnight with no changes for the cheapest policy (Debenhams) 

2 minutes ago, Keeper96 said:

24 year old and looking at a 2020 Mercedes c220, not especially young or especially crazy car. 

I think the £1300 is okay ish as I’ve got no no claims to use as it it’s on my other car at the moment. 

I just can’t get my head around the quadrupling in price overnight with no changes for the cheapest policy (Debenhams) 

Okay, I can get the highish premium on age and without any no claims. Car is pretty bog standard too but quadrupling overnight is really crap. If its any consolation my kids insurance dropped quite a lot once they made 26 but at 25 my son was paying just over £2000 for a SEAT.

Is there someone else (An oldie) you can put on your insurance ...... not necessarily living at your house. Both my kids and their partners found that putting me on as a named driver lowered their insurance by £100, none live with me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stedebs said:

Is there someone else (An oldie) you can put on your insurance ...... not necessarily living at your house. Both my kids and their partners found that putting me on as a named driver lowered their insurance by £100, none live with me.

We did the same but wasn't there some fuss a few years back about this and it supposedly being illegal?

Just now, S-Westerly said:

We did the same but wasn't there some fuss a few years back about this and it supposedly being illegal?

There's a difference between adding a named older driver and insuring the car by an older driver with a named younger driver who is in reality the main driver.

The former is perfectly legal, the latter isn't.

Both our daughters had me as a named driver on their policies which brought their premiums down. It was handy when I needed to drive their cars to work on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tiggie said:

I always find using the comparison websites that one of them usually gives me a lower quote despite it being with the same provider :thumb:

I am sure they also hold the price for short whilst..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

There's a difference between adding a named older driver and insuring the car by an older driver with a named younger driver who is in reality the main driver.

The former is perfectly legal, the latter isn't.

Both our daughters had me as a named driver on their policies which brought their premiums down. It was handy when I needed to drive their cars to work on them.

It was my wife on the kids' policies as the named driver and it was considerably cheaper. As I've never owned a car I'm just a named driver on her policy so adding me to it would have probably caused the premium to go sky high. 

I always have my dad on anyway as it’s handy having 2 drivers on everything, only ever makes about £100 difference to be honest. 
it was just the fact that overnight it went up 4 times 😂

• Sad 1

On 03/03/2021 at 18:13, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Yup, did the same with my cars when I was younger to lower the cost. Soon as i hit 25 though it dropped considerably. Even cheaper since i hit my 30s too lol, it was only at 30 though I could remove my dad without it making any real difference. He has never driven any of my cars. Madness! 

• Like 1

Oh and ive used direct line for the last 3 years in a row. Can really fault their quotes, and the more insurance you have with them (at one point I had car/pet/home) or some related does (my partner was with them also) the bigger the discount lol.