GoreTex - as good as claimed?

I notice quite a few folk on here recommending GoreTex when it comes to assuring kit being waterproof. I've had several products made with GoreTex because I'm a sucker for branding. But in all honesty I've not found it any better than other types of waterproof fabrics. Some of my kit has other types of waterproof material and has worked just as well. Conversely, not all my GoreTex kit has kept me as dry as I hoped for.

Of course nothing lasts for ever, but these days I don't go paying over the odds for the GoreTex label. 

Am I just unlucky with it? Or do others find it is better?

23 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I notice quite a few folk on here recommending GoreTex when it comes to assuring kit being waterproof. I've had several products made with GoreTex because I'm a sucker for branding. But in all honesty I've not found it any better than other types of waterproof fabrics. Some of my kit has other types of waterproof material and has worked just as well. Conversely, not all my GoreTex kit has kept me as dry as I hoped for.

Of course nothing lasts for ever, but these days I don't go paying over the odds for the GoreTex label. 

Am I just unlucky with it? Or do others find it is better?

I think Gore-Tex is better than most materials at being waterproof but like all other garments, after long periods of exposure in rain, water will eventually seep in; that’s what happened with my Gore-Tex gloves anyway. I do believe regular reproofing the Gore-Tex does help.

I have no idea what the difference is between Gore-Tex and Gore-Tex Pro though.

32 minutes ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

Is rain getting in anywhere else? Collars etc?

No, it just seems to lose its waterproofing abilities quicker than I'd expect. I had a GoreTex jacket many many years ago that lasted for years, since then nothing has been as good.

I'm not sure that Gore-tex is any more waterproof than many other products .. I was under the impression that its main selling point was its breathability allowing the wearers sweat to evaporate. 

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

No, it just seems to lose its waterproofing abilities quicker than I'd expect. I had a GoreTex jacket many many years ago that lasted for years, since then nothing has been as good.

I generally reproof all my cycling gear after a bit of use. And definitely if you wash them (I avoid where at all possible).

But in my experience seams and collars/cuff type areas are always pretty susceptible 

If you are having problems with any gore tex product leaking. contact Gore. anything that uses their membrane has a lifetime warranty. if it leaks and its not due to damage, they will give you a refund so you can buy the same again, or its nearest equivalent if the item is no longer in production.

I have tried other brands for boots and gloves breathable waterproof and long lasting is Gortex.

I have tried a few alternatives, waterproof yes but on a bike half my enemy is sweat.

agree Allot of people blame gear when they have not fastened it properly or it’s leaked in round the neck arms etc.

For example Gloves inside (water goes up the inside). Gloves outside (water rolls back down the glove.  Dual cuff is the only one that works for me but it’s a PITA to put on.

There are a few versions of Goretex but basically its either a membrane under an outer material (saturates) or the laminate which is bonded to the outer material so doesn't saturate. Pricing reflects this. 

I find they all leak somewhere on the membrane ones especially when the outer gets waterlogged but with my laminate, water ingress is usually from the open areas e.g. neck/ cuffs. I nearly always ride nakeds and when using the membrane jackets they didn't last that long as they were taking the full blast of the rain and then the wind driving it in to the material. with laminates this just aided in beading off the water. 

Also the laminates tend to dry out waaaay quicker than the liners and don't get heavy and its because there is very little material for the water to saturate, you can basically flick it when you get home and nearly all the water comes off. 

A by product of this when riding in the winter is that as there is no water saturation on the laminates they reduce your heat loss compared to a membrane with its outer material holding freezing water against your body. 

I've never found a fully waterproof glove but I've been blessed in that none of my boots have every leaked. The boots may be down to the fact I also treat them with wax on the leather which will help bead off any water. Gloves I resorted to giving a spray of Fabsil to improve the water beading. My Alpine SMX Pro's had a hole in the boot sole and I noticed I was squelching when walking but my foot was still dry as it didn't get through the Goretex membrane.

On the whole if its monsoon weather out there then I tend to use the car and more so for safety than my gear not being up to it. If its just heavy rain or showers then Goretex I would say has a better chance of keeping you dry and not over heating in the summer months. 

• Like 2

As @Gerontious says Gore-Tex comes with a guarantee that's pretty watertight 🤣. I bought some second hand Gore-Tex trousers once on ebay (I think they were Hein Gericke), but they leaked. Sent them to Gore-Tex, no receipt or anything. They couldn't replace them, as they were no longer produced, but they gave me a hefty discount on any Gore-Tex trousers I wanted.

• Haha 1