Walkie Talkies

Hi, Has anybody used Walkie Talkies to communicate while riding? When I was learning my instructor had a Walkie Talkie and the mic and i had the other walkie talkie in my pocket and a ear piece, so he could communicate with me when riding. I am thinking of doing the same with my son, who would like to do his CBT first then come for rides with me. I'm not sure on the bluetooth devices that stick to your helmet, i would prefer the walkie talkies. This way my son cant answer me back😉 Many Thanks.

Good walkee talkies probably have better range, but will be push to talk.

Intercom is live 2 way talk with option of phone / radio/ music / sat nav connection. They also normally clip onto helmet.

I think I know which one your son would prefer.

With either system he can turn you OFF.

• Like 1

If you have plenty £€$ ride allot  Cardo Pack talk or top of range Senna are worth whilst.

After that search on forum or google reviews etc.  Plenty of opinions between sets. I hope some will appear here.

Even top end you pay your money you take your chance.  

I have a set of radios that have push to talk etc and they work OK but the push to talk can be a little distracting if there is stuff going on and you need to adjust speed/gears etc 

I much prefer the hand free solution in a bluetooth/DMC solution 

The only bonus with the CB is the range can be a lot better 

Me and a mate went splits on one of those cheap vnet headsets (next to the green looking radio in the YouTube image above) think it cost £80 for a pair on Amazon. So far they have worked a treat. Great for two way comms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dynax said:

Has anyone tried using Skype conference calling on a smartphone and would that work as a basic intercoms system.

That would be reliant on signal and out in the sticks that could be an issue 

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

That would be reliant on signal and out in the sticks that could be an issue 

It would be fine if it auto reconnected once connection regained. Would be simpler intercom IMHO someone needs to make the app.

You could get it to work with multiple people if done right.

Ok not good in some places with rubbish data but most towns have data.

On 21/05/2021 at 10:13, onesea said:

You could get it to work with multiple people if done right.

No bloody chance!!! If Zoom calls infect my biking then I'm hanging the keys, two fingers up and it's the sea only for me - enough offshore for mobiles not to work!

How would that zoom/sleep Skype work? You still need some helmet headsets, just wired headphones won't cut it for microphone when riding?

So, if you have a headset then use its DMC and everything works ,😁

• Like 1

On 22/05/2021 at 10:25, Jerry1111 said:

So, if you have a headset then use its DMC and everything works ,😁

That’s fine if every one has DMC, however that’s not the case and connecting sets can be a PITA I have wasted to many hours trying (particularly Bluetooth)  One attempted if that does not work we live without.

my thought is not for work.  I am thinking using phones and data and an app designed to be a alternative to the over priced top end head sets.

somewhere I have voiced this thought before, set up a conference call on a voice chat when you have internet you can chat when you don’t no drama. If they could extend to connecting via WiFi - WiFi that would be awesome.

People could then use any in helmet set they wished wired, Bluetooth etc.

I used to use walkie talkies with Vox many moons ago, with modern intercoms becoming more affordable I found the faffery of walkie talkies too much faff. Plus to get some real range you needed a base plate and aerial like a motorcycle CB Radio enthusiast 🤣 now the kids use them on holiday. 

Walkie Talkie.jpg